Why Blue Devils Win

I don't understand how a 'ball'-type cluster moving around the field is so visually stimulating. They do this every year. They form an 'almost' formation swirling around. They hop-jog backwards out of step and rhythm in a non-formation. They stand in a rectangular formation and move their heads side to side. Then they pull lines out of the square, like they did in 2003. This year they stand in a line waiting for the right time to run and hide behind mirrors and then wait again to run back out from the mirrors. Or they walk in front of the mirrors as the guard pulls the mirrors back. This is not visually stimulating to me (granted I'm watching it from Fan Network. I'll see it live on quarterfinals, but for the majority of time I'll watch it on DVD/Blu-ray, and if it looks like this, then it's not going to cut it for me.) I can see the plumes behind the mirrors. The most interesting portion of the drill for me is near the end when the quadrilateral slides horizontally across the field. They did pretty much the same thing last year (vertically), but they moved around chairs that time. Another part I like is when they do the line rotations before they go and hide behind the mirrors again.

Everyone else loves everything happening on the field. I'd like someone to explain the subtleties and intricacies and what to look for so I can get a better appreciation for it, visually speaking. Or do I have the crux of it and it'll take me a few more watches (6 times already on Fan Network) and some live action to get it?

Okay...watch SCV 1972 then watch Kingsman 1972. They are in a cluster for a large majority of the show! How do you tick a cluster?!

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I don't like the Blue Devils. My favorite corps are Scouts, Cavaliers, and, to a lesser extent, SCV and Phantom.

But I understand why the Blue Devils win. A lot of people seem to have trouble with this, so allow me to share my thoughts.

Blue Devils don't win because they have a better show. If you are wondering what it is the judges see that you don't see, you can stop wondering. There aren't any subtleties in their show that you are missing. The judges see exactly what you see.

What you are missing is the fact that the show is not "the show". The details of the music and drill are largely irrelevant. They could do 8x8's and play Come to Jesus in whole notes. It wouldn't matter. The real show is the performers themselves. It's not what they do, but the way they do it.

Every year, BD picks the most talented and attractive performers in drum corps. They train these performers in a system that emphasizes one thing - performance. Not education. Not self-discovery. Not camaraderie. Just performance.

So what happens when these performers hit the field? Surprise! They perform. They show off their talent and ability with confidence, with aggressiveness, with attitude, with style and with swagger. They exude esprit de corps. They love to show off and it shows.

You might not like what they are doing, but I dare anyone to say that they don't appreciate and enjoy the sheer professionalism and physical grace that is on display whenever they are on the field. The way they move and play generates its own effect. Bottom line: they are just fun to watch.

Drum corps is pageantry. Pageantry is a form of display behavior. Fundamentally, it is no different than a peacock showing off its tail, a moose showing its antlers, or a songbird singing to attract a mate. It's not subtle and sophisticated, but basic, primal and instinctive. It's all about "strutting your stuff." The Blue Devils strut their stuff better than anyone else. That's why they win. It's that simple. It's not rocket science, just simple biology.

Just my .02.

btw, I hope my Scout and Cavalier brethren don't see me as a traitor for posting this. It's just the way I see things. I still hate Devils :tongue:

Devils wim in June and July because thery are almost always cleaner and because they are cleaner the members are more ready to “sell” the program. They simply have higher confidence early in the year. This is due the organizations approach, proven processes, teaching execution, staff and a method that has been very refined.

The Devils often win in August because 1) they are good 2) the momentum they built in June and July (winning early helps a great deal with Aug Scoring) and 3) the fact the Drum Corps judging is not an analytical science. Its not like a basketball or football where a clear winner can be identified (At least most of the time) Drum Corps is like figure skating except there are 150 skaters on the ice at one time. This is not to say that often the Devils may be the “best” and should be ranked first. Just not as consistently has they have been.

Getting ###### about placement is beyond a waste of time. It is what it is and until somebody generates some software to replace a mixed bag of human judges, we have what we have.

BD has set them self’s apart in terms of a winning formula. Perhaps some yeas they were # 2 or 3 and not # 1 but I cant remember a year when anyone would argue they should not have been in the top 3. Not too many other Corps (if any) can say that.

I personally think BD could do more from a musical point of few and they should reach further. I think they could significantly increase the emotional & artistic content of there show, But that’s just me and my taste.

Any one who thinks Drum Corps judging can be fair, 100% accurate and analytical is not accepting reality. The BD’s have figured out a “formula” better than anyone else and this formula wins. Are they actually the best in August every year? Hell no. and does this suck? Hell yes. But that my friends is Drum Corps.

All the other BS you point out about it’s Not education. Not self-discovery. Not camaraderie. Just performance. Is just plain BS. To say that other top Corps don’t have the same degree of performers, swagger, attitude, aggressiveness, etc is just plain wrong.

That brings up an interesting point few people have touched on...while fans in the stands only get one viewing (more if they go to more shows), the judging community sees these programs a LOT more, and as the season progresses they can see those nuances that fans in the stands often miss on the first viewing.

Makes sense from a design standpoint if you're aiming at the judges seeing the show multiple times and coming to understand it....not so much when a once-view fan only has 11 minutes to figure everything out.

I agree with this 100%, but it also touches on the thread we had a little while ago about "judging the now". Adding up what you saw in the last three shows to come up with your number for today's show is not how it should work.

When BD has had a great corps of members and a weaker show, they don't win

Yowza to that. :tongue:

I wrote this in another thread, it applies to 09 but a part of it (2nd paragraph) can be carried into this conversation

Sorry, the amount of coordination that that show took visually is unreal. The characters the members where in was a class of it's own that night. Visual is not just marching. Effect Visual is not just cool drill moves. I guess most people want those captions to be called, Marching Cleanly and Cool Drill.

What the Blue Devils do so well in the visual design is staging and subtlety. Jay Murphy/ Scott Chandler are masters at it. The guard also bring nuance to the show that most other corps typically don't. Blue Devils are the kings of subtleness. That guard and its design is the WOW of the vis program. Transitions are seamless but I do feel that it kills the musical design at times to get there though. You have to take your mind out of what drill is to you and realize that they (the design team) are staging elements in a different way... almost in a theatrical way. In THAT aspect, Blue Devils are doing what few other corps are. THAT is what is fresh and that is what gets them their scores.

Also, I don't know many people that can gate a line over and over, then march to some chairs, set down without looking, hop on one leg, balance, move again, cover down, set back down with out looking (or holding onto the chair) and play an instrument at a high level. Most people if they sat down with out grabbing on to a chair will fall flat on their behind.

Every year, BD picks the most talented and attractive performers in drum corps. They train these performers in a system that emphasizes one thing - performance. Not education. Not self-discovery. Not camaraderie. Just performance.

." The Blue Devils strut their stuff better than anyone else. That's why they win. It's that simple. It's not rocket science, just simple biology.

Unless over the years you've been : A) present during a lot of the the BD camps or B) possess paranormal ESP powers,..... you would have no way of knowing whether or not the BD organization and staff emphasizes " performance " over " education "... " self discovery "..... " camaraderie ". So frankly, unless A or B are correct, then we can dismiss this comment out of hand as a ridiculous claim as to how the BD organization operates and prepares their marchers for competition.

secondly, the notion that a predominant reason that the Blue Devils are winning is because they " strut their stuff better than anyone else " belies the fact that playing a musical instrument well is never contingent on how one " looks ". when they play the musical instrument. I would venture to say that the young musicians in the BD " B " Corps are not winning principally because the judges think the young musicians look cute and " strut their stuff " better than all the other Open Class Corps............. And " No ", it is not all that " simple " as to why the Blue Devils win so much. If it was so " simple ", then common sense tells us that other Corps would have been able to replicate the same formula for success that the Blue Devils organization has. What the Blue Devils have been able to do is astonishing, because they do it so well, so often, these days..... with small panels, the Blue Devils win.... put in larger panels, the Blue Devils win.... change up the combinations of judges, 6 ways to Sunday, it doesn't matter. The Blue Devils win. They win because ?........... because they know how to win, that's why. It sounds " simple ",.. but it's not. And finally, it's not about " performance " so much as it's about talent, hard work, and execution.

Edited by BRASSO

Can someone please give me an example of said subtlety?

I agree! Used to love BD but know im getting sick of their shows. But there performers are top notch they are trained very well at what they do. which isnt much anymore it seems like unfortunately