State of drum corps manifesto

nope, try again... ;-) Not all opinions and perceptions are equally valid and important. That kind of thinking comes from the thinking that a high school graduation needs to have 18 valedictorians or that the last place team in little league deserves a trophy just like the winning team (don't laugh, this is common). An informed opinion is valid while an uninformed opinion is not....they are NOT equal.

If DCI had not completely dropped objective judging this whole discussion would be soooo much easier to resolve.....

There has never been 'objective' judging...it has always been subjective.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has never been 'objective' judging...it has always been subjective.

That's why they have detailed judging sheets, go to seminars, give detailed feedback to the corps, get training.....because it's all just a subjective whim? I doubt the judges would say their craft is subjective.

That's why they have detailed judging sheets, go to seminars, give detailed feedback to the corps, get training.....because it's all just a subjective whim? I doubt the judges would say their craft is subjective.

It's subjective, but it's not just a 'whim'. Of course it is...and always has been...subjective.

It's subjective, but it's not just a 'whim'. Of course it is...and always has been...subjective.

No, it's objective

Judging ticks was subjective, and even the most sophisticated rubric (i.e. DCI Score Sheets) isn't objective.

Any truthful judge of anything (teachers, adjudicators, you name it) understands subjectivity is inescapable, no matter how hard we try.

In the midst here, I think you've hit a particular nail straight on the head.

So much of the discussions I read here about "accessibility" and "average audiences" and "melody" etc etc seem to blame creativity and musical sophistication for the lack of audience involvement. Much is ballyhooed about how only "music majors" and "band geeks" could possibly understand innovative music and movement.

But understandably, they've almost completely missed the point. Perhaps they haven't had the language to express it. But they've got one thing right: a choppy show doesn't work. It doesn't go anywhere.

One thing a musician is useful for, is we do learn a few things about music and listener involvement. As you pointed out, any show of any advancement and sophistication can be improved by a sense of building excitement, tension and release, an "arc" that is clear from opening note to thrilling finish.

This goes for a classic whistleable Madison Scouts "all-hits-all-the-time" show, and a Santa Clara "Bartok" show, and anything beyond. Regardless of your musical and visual material, an audience taken on a well-guided ride and plopped back safely in their seats at the finish will feel good.

As a percussionist, I've seen "average" audiences react well to some of the most out-there stuff, when the stuff reached out and engaged them, had continuity from beginning to end, and ended with a worthwhile release.

I'll bet that doing one element better -- an effective dramatic arc -- in more show designs, would save 90% of the misdirected griping we hear about everything else.

i am 100% inclined to agree. I've discovered many new tunes because of drum corps, and if the arrangment is captivating, it pulls you in. I never heard the Canyon before SCV, or the Machine before Cavies, but both sucked me in because of the arrangement

Gosh, too bad that so many designers are thinking about design, ain't it?

Why aren't they thinking about MONEY and PROFITS instead?

What kinda Americans are they anyway? Harrumph! :tongue:

if people stop buying, who will see your "art"?

whim, no. subjective yes. The sheets have detailed criteria, but there is no "rgight or wrong" clearly marked on the sheets