State of drum corps manifesto

Which corps would you say are exploring that edge in recent years?

Crown, Boston, BStars and BD... and that's about it. I'm talking top to bottom of the show. Not just a small segment once to show off some sound. I mean on the move ....... still flying .. and still pumping tons of air into the horns with an overall wider dynamic range than other corps. I put BD last on my list because I don't feel they have control of the lower dynamic range at all... but they can blow.

Even with all that said ... not one of these corps in current day form have created the sure volume of Star/Garfield/BD/SCV/Suncoast/Spirit/Bluecoats/Sky Ryders/take your pick ..... of the 80's and 90's on G horns. It's not even close.

Edited by supersop

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is the one part of BD i do like, and I think the switch to Pearl really helped.

I think my initial reaction was "OMFG, they sound SO much better on Pearls." when I first saw one of the YouTube vids.

Crown, Boston, BStars and BD... and that's about it. I'm talking top to bottom of the show. Not just a small segment once to show off some sound. I mean on the move ....... still flying .. and still pumping tons of air into the horns with an overall wider dynamic range than other corps. I put BD last on my list because I don't feel they have control of the lower dynamic range at all... but they can blow.

Even with all that said ... not one of these corps in current day form have created the sure volume of Star/Garfield/BD/SCV/Suncoast/Spirit/Bluecoats/Sky Ryders/take your pick ..... of the 80's and 90's on G horns. It's not even close.

And I might add I'm happy to see (HEAR) that Boston is not using any low-end synth either...

Edited by Liahona

Shame on me for leaving out Phantom on the current list.

I simply mean that volume has largely taken a back seat to balance and blend.

That's odd...Tim Salzman & Gordon Henderson taught us how to do all three at once; it netted us a High Brass torphy that year (the one in which you were born.)

As for where I marched, I don't make it a big secret but I am curious as to why you ask as I don't see where it is relevant to this conversation

I have an idea now where you marched, but to answer your question the relevancy lies in the age and quality of instruction; my guess is that, unless you began marching at a fairly young age, odds are you haven't played a G.

But George Hopkins turned your waffle into a pancake, and now you can't enjoy it like you used to. :lol:

No, he put chicken livers and mascarpone cheese in the batter and then glazed it in teryaki sauce...thats more like it !

G

And I might add I'm happy to see (HEAR) that Boston is not using any low-end synth either...

AMEN to Boston - they were the ONLY corps at Carmel Tuesday night to try to even come close to a power chord from the past and they had to come up to the sideline packed titghtly to pull it off. I loved it. I know volume is not everything but every once in a while, just every so often, you got hear a hit like Spirit in 79/80 on Georgia, or even Madison back in the day. You have to admit IT IS NOT THE SAME. 60 versus 80 brass and they can;t match the volume timbre like in the past. Is it bad today no not really but it is not Drum and Bugle Corps sound.

Gee, it looks like I really struck a chord here given the sheer volume of G feedback being posted. :lol:

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week...try the veal, and be sure to tip your waitresses...

Gee, it looks like I really struck a chord here given the sheer volume of G feedback being posted. :tongue:

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week...try the veal, and be sure to tip your waitresses...

HEH! :tongue:

Precisely. I don't think anyone would say that corps today are not loud. I wouldn't, I just can remember standing in front of a line and be brought to tears by the sheer volume..one notably, being BD in 1999 or so doing a warmup on Anakin's Theme...holy cow.

I thought we just did say the Bb horns are not as loud....and with an objective measurement also.