Say something nice about a 2011 corps/show

After seeing every corps at DCI Dallas Thursday and Friday nights, I could say a nice thing about everyone! So I will :]

Pioneer- After seeing Pioneer for a couple years now and my only reaction was a sarcastic "aw look how hard they try", they really blew me away this year. They are the real deal. They aren't on the same level as BD, or The Cavaliers, but come on. The strides they made this year are amazing. Go Pioneer! (I've always loved the parade block at the end though. That's cool!)

Teal Sound- I dont remember much from this show besides their hornline was way more powerful than I was expecting. If I remember right, these were the guys with the guitar solo who was WRECKING on it. I was super impressed.

Crossmen- What can I say about these guys. I know so many people involved with this corps, from staff, to show designers, to alum to current members. I was so sad that I had to back out of marching with the Bones this season due to school related stuff. I love this show. When I saw this corps live in 2008 for the first time, I knew they were going to be my favorite. I love the show. I love the direction they're taking. And. I love Metheny. lol.

Colts- Probably have one of my favorite uniforms out of everyone. I loved this show, and how they used color in different ways, from little uniform add-ons, to colored bell covers on the horns. I was very entertained! The Colts have definitely gotten my attention in the past few seasons!

Madison Scouts- I was iffy on the short sleeved uniforms with gauntlets, but this show was awesome. When Madison Scouts are on, they're on FIRE. The trumpet solo in Rhapsody in Blue was probably my favorite solo of the night, if not both nights.

Blue Knights- I've always liked Blue Knights. I loved their darker shows and the approach to the music they played. I have a friend on their brass staff and so I've had a lot of BK influence this year. I'll stick with my first impression I told her when she asked what I thought---"The ending to the Farandole is SICK!"

Boston Crusaders- While they won my "hottest colorguard EVER" award last year (Academy wins it this year...but more on that later...), I definitely think my favorite part of this show was the battles/interaction with the chair. This is one of the corps that really got me into drum corps with their 2000 and 2003 shows.

Phantom Regiment- This is the corps that GOT me into drum corps. Phantom Regiment 2003 is hands down, by far, my favorite show ever. I don't think I have heard a Phantom show I DIDN'T absolutely love. (I was ###### about the Jazz in 2009, but I quickly got over that.) Phantom Regiment has one of the most insane Mellophone sections I have ever heard. They can literally take over the whole corps, who is already melting faces with power. I have a good friend on their snareline, and man they can play this year. What am I saying they can play EVERY year. lol. I hope Phantom wins percussion :] I love this years show. I really got to understand it more when my friend explained to me the concept of the show and why certain things are what and that really helped out. The opener is absolutely gorgeous. The closing is absolutely gorgeous. So much more can be said about this corps....but...for another time...

The Cadets- MAN can these guys march! Little Jeffrey is great too! Definitely one of my favorite parts of the night.

The CAVALIERS!- Man I have a lot of respect for this corps. I know a lot of people who have marched for them, taught for them, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the green machine. They have always been one of my favorites, and I hope to be wearing a gear necklace once I age out (I better hurry, only one more season left!) I got to see them rehearse at the ole stompin grounds on Thursday afternoon, and then again Thursday night, (and again on Monday!) While I like a lot of shows this year, so far this is the only show that I LOVE. This is the only show that got a standing ovation DURING the show. Biggest crowd reaction. Man can the Cavaliers march and play. With a new ending coming next week (spoiler?) I hope they gain some ground on BD. It's been too long since gold came to the guys in green.

Blue Devils- It's weird with BD. I usually hate their shows the first 10 times I listen to them, but somehow they grow on me and become some of my favorite shows. This is another one of those years. It's not hating on them at all, because I know the show will grow on me and I'll love it. The mirrors gave some cool effects visually. Like...really cool. lol

Cascades- (I missed their performance, I was watching various warm-ups in the lot. Whoops.) I feel bad for missing their performance.

Mandarins- I liked the arabian feel to the show. They have some pretty sweet uniforms too!

Pacific Crest- I saw this hornline warm up (which is why I missed Cascades) and MY GOD these guys can play! I'm a definite John Mackey fan (met the guy, he's totally awesome!) and I really liked their arrangements of his music. I can't wait to arrange Asphalt Cocktail the way I think it should be playing by a marching band (or corps...:] )

Spirit- I LOVED THIS SHOW. This was actually one of my favorite shows of the night! I could have done without the weird "forging...icon...forging....icon...." but everything else I loved!! I know Crossmen and Spirit have a great respect for each other (they even put each others logos on their members jackets) and I really dig that.

Academy- I was too distracted by their guard to pay attention to this show. In some weird way, thats a compliment. Yay for hot guard.

Troopers- I have a cousin who marched for them way back in the day, and I have family that live in Casper and they have no connection to drum corps, or the band world, or anything like that, but they sure do know who the Troopers are! I love their uniforms. The Drum Major wins favorite DM of the night too. What a beast.

Glassmen- I really did enjoy Glassmen. Glassmen are hit and miss for me, but this was a definite hit. I love their uniforms. They look SHARP.

Blue Stars- I had never heard of the Blue Stars before 2008. This show really took me by surprise. I loved the impact the brass had. I loved all the different "magical" moments. The only thing I didn't like was I didnt know whether to watch the hornline in front of me do some crazy stuff and loud playing, or the guard girl escaping from the roped chair on the other side of the field!

VANGUARDDDDDDD! One of the three corps that really grabbed my attention when I first saw drum corps. This corps is amazing. I have debated between Vanguard and Cavaliers for so long, and never coming up with a decision. Ballet for Martha won my heart. Vanguard performs so well and intense. The Cymbal line is nuts. The hornline has such a rich gorgeous sound. I love this corps!

Crown- Crown's hornline can PLAY. My god. With my personal opinions of this years show concept aside, this corps has been one of my favorite the past couple years. The hornline is solid.

Bluecoats- The best thing about the show this year was that I got to hear it again in an encore! Again, a HUGE Mackey fan. The baritone soloist can really play the bajeezus out of that solo too. This corps definitely has swag. They deserve it too. Yes, I said swag.

I definitely can't wait to see some of the corps again on Monday in Denton!!!!!

I love this thread. It's wonderful to see how people really appreciate the different aspects of all the corps. We need to have many more threads like this that point out the positive aspects of drum corps. Maybe it will get more people into the stands earlier to watch all of the shows. :tongue:

INT is nice.

I'm not sure who I like more when they're done....BD or INT.

I love this thread. It's wonderful to see how people really appreciate the different aspects of all the corps. We need to have many more threads like this that point out the positive aspects of drum corps. Maybe it will get more people into the stands earlier to watch all of the shows. :tongue:

6a00e54fa4700a883301157246568e970b-800wi.jpg

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya.

Nice thing about a drum corps:

It's so nice to see Madison back to being Madison :)

Edited by corpsband

I think you all have a very nice drum corps.

Edited by parkbench

Blue Devils - their horn line sounds terrific but most importantly, they got the confidence that no other corps possess since the beginning of the season. The precision of their guards is stunning.

Carolina Crown - they horn line sounds even better than last year. Despite it unusual looks this year, their uniform is a step up from last year when it comes to general effects.

The Cadets - George knows how to capture the heart of the audience and create the atmosphere of the corp.

The Cavaliers - It is amazing how well the corp has been so far this season considering the change in corp's leadership. Their program remains distinctively "Cavaliers" and I found their incorporation of the electronic appropriate for their show concepts.

Santa Clara Vanguard - despite a very different mood from the Ballet for Martha, the design team took their "purist" approach with Bartok. The corp took a lot of courage in developing this program. This is perhaps the most sophisticated and complex show design in 2010.

Bluecoats - a strong corp all the way around. The level of difficulty match the talent of the corps perfectly. Well executed from the beginning and has one of the most crowd-pleasing show this season.

Phantom Regiment -

The Academy - love their music selection. Alexander Borodin deserves more exposure on the field. Come Indy, they would be fighting for the spot in the final.

The Blue Stars - very strong brass and guard this year. Can't wait to see this program with a multi-cam VOD. Their magic tricks would be terrific.

The Galssmen - one of the most beautiful program on the field. Pete Weber's drill is beautiful as usual. There are an elegant quality to their program.

The Blue Knights - a crowd-pleasing music selection with strong musical performances.

The Madison Scouts - the corps that we love is back! Their program certainly reminds us of an another decade... in a good way!