The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't anyone reading this thread right now be at work?

Not me, I'm self-employed.

Then we must be doing something right. Souvie sales are through the roof this year, and not just because we're on the world class tour. They can't keep some things in stock.

And let's face it...this is an emotional activity. We're going to be entertaining (in fact that was our #1 goal this season). We know we're not going to please everyone, but it's pretty obvious we're pleasing the vast majority of fans at shows. The reaction of the crowd speaks for itself.

John, I enjoyed Teal's show for the most part but to be honest with you there were times (the opening through the first major hit where I honestly couldn't tell if the horn line was playing or not bacause the keyboards/bass/guitar quintet was so loud it was making it impossible to hear the horn line. the blend was better later on, and I found the guitar breaks interesting and he's a very good guitarist.

As a reference I was sitting in the first row of the upper deck dead center on the 50, so from a balance and blend standpoint I had an ideal vantage point. Also, I ran a soundboard for a professional 20 piece big band for a little over 2 years and understand balance and blend from a soundman's perspective.

Just thought I would give you some useful feedback on your corps show.

well, i dont recall burning babies Saturday. I'll be anxious to see it in Indy

Then we must be doing something right. Souvie sales are through the roof this year, and not just because we're on the world class tour. They can't keep some things in stock.

And let's face it...this is an emotional activity. We're going to be entertaining (in fact that was our #1 goal this season). We know we're not going to please everyone, but it's pretty obvious we're pleasing the vast majority of fans at shows. The reaction of the crowd speaks for itself.

Balance at the box was pretty spot-on. That's where the mix is controlled from. If you're down low, it's going to be loud and out of balance, but so are corps without electronics. It's the nature of the beast. Corps have been balancing to the box for longer than I've been doing this.

no #### sherlock :thumbup:

except people up by the box said the same thing. I'll see it this week and make a final call

I know we're off the rails here (though honestly, what was the point of this thread again?), but I personally dig Teal's show this year - I think for the last 3 that I've seen them they've put on productions geared primarily at making you have a good time watching them, and that I have.

Mike

There isn't a horn line today that even comes close in volume to the Madison & Spirit hornlines of the late '70's & early '80's.

loudest line i've heard since the G days was Crown..this year, during encore. They were on the track playing a Madonna song. It might have been my favorite song performance of the night, and I'm not a Madonna fan.

loud IS good...

and for those that said corps in the 80's and 90's played with crap tone...you weren't there, apparently. You can't tell me 87 cadets, or 89 scv were played horribly....93 star...c'mon...

Edited by skewerz

Loudest line I've ever heard was the <Bb! <gasp!>> 2001 Blue Devils in San Antonio - the jam part of I've Got Rhythm / Fascinating Rhythm was so loud that all you could hear was distortion. Literally a great big sonic wall of distorted roaring. You could see drummers hands waving down there, but you couldn't hear them.

Never heard anything like it before or since.

Mike

loudest line i've heard since the G days was Crown..this year, during encore. They were on the track playing a Madonna song. It might have been my favorite song performance of the night, and I'm not a Madonna fan.

loud IS good...

and for those that said corps in the 80's and 90's played with crap tone...you weren't there, apparently. You can't tell me 87 cadets, or 89 scv were played horribly....93 star...c'mon...

pick up a SPL meter and take a measurement and let us know...I took notes when I did my test several years ago so I will see if I can find them. However, I doubt anyone is as loud as the G horns (especially the 2-vavle G horns). Also, I did my measurements on the 40 about halfway up at Citrus College in Azusa, CA during a show....horn arcs don't coun't since I did not meaure that.