The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

Just some observations

1. Madison played "Slaughter" and "Rhapsody" in 1975. The show included "MacArthur Park". If Madison had included that last in their current program, methinks the audience would have swooned at the end, calling for an emergency INT to supply oxygen. Actually, I wouldn't have minded having a hit of that after witnessing the opening statement in A-town this year, in row 28 on the 45 yl. (in Franklin Field, too)

2. Loud is Beautiful - Jim Ott (RIP)

3. If a corps were to attempt "Stairway to Heaven" (Led Zeppelin) and other rock classics, a rock guitar would not only be required, it would, perhaps, be mandatory per the geriatric crowd. (see sig for "geriatricity" :thumbup:)

BTW, the rookie WC corps Teal Sound is admired for maintaining their own identity and not trying to be "like everybody else." Really good hornline, too. Balancing the voices will add in time.

4. I got the impression the OP was sorely disappointed because everybody was like everybody else. The OP said, "I left early." We do not know how early, and may not have seen the entire show.

6. That bundle of pipes in G required certain skills to play in tune and is difficult to do, but can be played loud by anyone. Bb instruments (and F as well) require those same skills, not as difficult to play in tune, and can be played equally as loud, if not louder. It seems to me that when Bb's were introduced, corps simply held back some to gain more control of intonation. They have recently discovered that with reasonably good training you can cut loose, blow your brains out, and maintain a good quality. I, for one, love it.

END

Edit: Corrected BTY to BTW

Edited by Mellofello01

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to the OP I guess I'll just say I respect your opinion and disagree with almost all of it.

Yea, I probably could've said this exact thing and saved some trouble (though it's hard to respect an opinion when written as it was by the OP: maybe I "respect that you have your own opinion" would be more prudent?)

Shouldn't anyone reading this thread right now be at work?

Nope. I'm in school, actually. (Well, now I'm not. I'm in Barnes and Noble, "studying." :thumbup: )

Nope. I'm in school, actually. (Well, now I'm not. I'm in Barnes and Noble, "studying." :thumbup: )

LOL I appreciate all the comments, I was just pointing out how silly it is to criticize someone for not being at work and reading a forum and commenting on that same forum

The design staffs should be ashamed of themselves because some guy on DCP doesn't like DCI anymore?

You should be ashamed of yourself for thinking your opinion is that important.

Right. He's the only one who feels that way.

no #### sherlock :thumbup:

except people up by the box said the same thing. I'll see it this week and make a final call

Well, for the record, GE Music and Music Ensemble wanted even more. Especially Jay Webb. He's been nuts for "more guitar" all year.

I really like how someone makes a stupid drive-by post like this and people are still going on with the pitchforks when the OP has not responded and most likely just did this to stir #### up around here.

That said, I disagree.

Madison is the only corps that keeps it Real.

Does "keeping it real" include using any-key brass and doubling tuba parts with low end synth?

(I'm not trying to infer that I don't like Madison's show, because I do.)

Edited by gimpy

I really like how someone makes a stupid drive-by post like this and people are still going on with the pitchforks when the OP has not responded and most likely just did this to stir #### up around here.

That said, I disagree.

Yeah I told myself not to bother posting when I first read this thread and then I went and did it anyway. Shame on me.