Quarterfinals Open Thread

kind of a head scratcher on some of the scores. and i don't see how BD is that far ahead of everyone else. little jeffrey was kind of a joke, takes away from the performance at times to see a dork just running around in need of his next dose of ritalin IMO. thought blue stars score was too high, would've had the gap between them and scv be a little bigger.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how about a perfect 20 for Blue Devils colorguard tonight ?

Well, it's not a "perfect" score, but I watched them warm up last night, and they are BEASTS! I can see how they're 0.3 better than the 2nd place guard, which is what the score says.

That far ahead!?

The spread between 1st and 2nd was a lot bigger last year, actually.

wasn't comparing to last year, just felt the scores last night should've been closer at the top.

I know lots of visual judges and I don't know any who would look at this year's Blue Devils show and feel that they didn't have adequate opportunities to judge the corps' performance. In fact the reason BD is killing the field in visual (4 tenths up in visual performance during championships week is a butt whipping. Normally the spread in that caption is no more than 2 tenths.) is that the way the show is designed creates so much exposure and so many "opportunities for achievement" and the corps is just executing the hell out of it.

This idea that the ensemble vis judge is just going "Oh crap, they don't do any formations, I can't judge them", turning off his tape recorder and writing down a 19.9 on the sheet is silly.

What do you mean exactly by opportunities for achievement? I don't quite get that one. The problem I have with it, is that they really don't do much traditional marching at all. Please point out on time where they actually march through a transition in pieces. It's all walking around, or free form, or doing stuff with the mirrors, either hiding behind them or moving them. And their drum solo drill? Really? I could teach a bunch of 6 year olds to stand in a diagonal, and walk in a straight line between two mirrors. And if you're an ensemble visual judge sitting up in the box, and all of a sudden half of a corps disappears behind a mirror, what do you judge? Do you judge the people you can still see? If that's the case, couldn't a corps just hide all but their best marchers for sections of a show in order to get a score boost?

whoops corpsscores misheard -- bloo 96.25. below cavies. hmmm.

REALLY sorry about that....

I was watching Big Loud & Live, and it seemed like they would get to announcing scores 3-4 minutes after Brandt had already announced them in the background.

So I started trying listening to Brandt in the background and posting immediately. It worked great for Cadets, Cavaliers, Crown...

...but then I swear I thought I heard him say "96.95" right after Devils finished (before Hellcats), so I posted. I guess he must have been summarizing Cavaliers' 96.55.

Still cleaning off the egg on my face. Sorry!

Question - on the list of performances times for Semis, they have them as starting at 4:30 Eastern time...Indiana is in Central, so does that mean Semis are starting at 3:30 Central time? I just want to be certain - last year, I was in the first corps to go on at Semis, and we went on at around 5:00 Central.

kind of a head scratcher on some of the scores. and i don't see how BD is that far ahead of everyone else. little jeffrey was kind of a joke, takes away from the performance at times to see a dork just running around in need of his next dose of ritalin IMO. thought blue stars score was too high, would've had the gap between them and scv be a little bigger.

The spread should be bigger. Simple as that.

G

Shows I really liked...

Biggest disappointments

I can only speak to what i saw at BLL7 in the theater

Shows I really liked:

* Madison - Sure it was a play on nostalgia, but it was perfect for what they need to accomplish as a corps. So very honest, very well thought out, well executed. And the colorguard was spot on.

* Phantom - Beautiful show. Just beautiful all around.

* Troopers - Musically very well done. Visually not as on par with the music as it could've been, but still very enjoyable

* Crusaders - Way to take a theme and run with it.

* Cavaliers - I think they could've done more to speak to PTSD to make it a tad more obvious. The guard uniforms were freaky. But I just loved the theme overall and could watch it again.

Biggest Disappointments:

* Cadets - Jeffrey was nothing but annoying. Didn't really play into the theme at all. And I liked it earlier in the season when the colorguard was in the same corps outfits. That was cool.

* SCV - Very well played, very well marched, very good visually. Just too weird musically for me to get engaged as a fan

Meh when I was expecting to be wowed:

* Crown

* BD

* Bloo

All very well executed but not entertaining.

Gripes:

*The keyboards provide too much bass. It sounds unnatural and out of place.

*Too many corps are relying on electronic sound effects. It's jarring because it's not coming from the field.

*Why have a keyboard sound like a piano when you have 20 marimbas and xylophones sitting in front of you.

*If you want to be heard, play louder. A microphone? Wimp-###.

*Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

*They need to come up with a way to announce corps that insist on implementing that inane 5 minute free time crap.