Semi Finals Open Thread

Haha, okay. Here it is. Hope this one makes sense too. It made sense to me.

I finally understand Crown's show. It took a lot of viewings, but in just watching the guard, I get it now. It's not about a second chance at winning at all, if you really watch it and pay attention, you will see that (I know this will sound corny), but it's more about a second chance at love. If you know the back-story to last year's ending, Peter runs back to his own life, having to leave Tinkerbell behind in the fantasy world. Now fast forward to this show. Same character as before, and at the beginning of the show, with the Mahler, it's the fight between the two lovers, namely as we see the female lead tempted by the second male lead. ending with the first male lead striking down the female lead. Transition into the next part and Danzon, and it's her search for new love. Go to Nimrod, and she's found a new love, but still is conflicted about her old love. Enter again the Mahler Resurrection, and it's the fight between her two potential new lovers. We reach the first ending, and she chooses wrong, going back to her old love. The show rewinds, and she goes to the other love, with the Promise of Living playing signaling her right choice. But the real twist is that Promise of Living also signals Peter returning to claim his love, and the two go off into their own world. See, it makes sense now?

I get all of the "love" second chances, with the guard guys and the guys in "Danzon", but I do not understand how Peter Pan fits into this. It's like this whole show is in a fantasy world too, but you don't know that until the final 20 seconds. I'm not sure how much this was thought out, but what do I know... Seems like a lame attempt at grabbing last year's magic, as others have said.

...just a comment about Star...wow :lookaround: . If SCV had done *that* Bartok they'd be knocking on der door! Hey, does anyone know if Star was playing G horns? Couldn't see well enough on the TV, with all the historical production the live corps performance was almost background music...while I'm into the sentiment of it all and appreciate the historical display, I woulda liked to have been a little closer to those people sweatin' and performin'!

cg

I heard they were on Crown's horns, yet "Praise Ye" sounded exactly the same pitch as when they played it in 1990.

If we can afford 4 GE judges (2 for Music).... why can't we cut GE in half ... Assign the Ensemble Judge to Brass and add a Percussion Ensemble Judge? Visual already gets 60 pts of weight anyway ....... may as well judge the music more accurately :lookaround:

If you really wanted to level it out, you could move the second Visual GE judge over to Music GE .. give them 10 pts more to work with and split GE into Brass and Percussion like it used to be.

New Format:

GE Brass = 10

GE Percussion = 10

GE Visual = 10

CG = 10

Field Visual = 10

Ensemble Visual = 10

Field Brass = 10

Ensemble Brass = 10

Field Percussion = 10

Ensemble Percussion = 10

Total of 10 judges

Weight:

Visual = 40

Music = 60

You'll still get 15 pts of bleedover from the Ensemble Brass/perc and GE Brass/perc judges .. making it an even 50/50 split

I NOMINATE MYSELF FOR RULES COMMITTEE FOR 2011 :laughing:

A couple years ago, I proposed a scoring system similar to what you have here....I think my weight was also 60-40

Jeff Fiedler replied to me...IIRC, he said that in 1994, they started brainstorming a way to make visual execution and music execution equal (yes, I'm using the word "execution" whether people like it or not)

They also wanted "general" effect (the quotation marks are mine, not Fiedler's) to weigh a bit more than either music or visual execution separately

The ultimate result was the system of scoring/weighting we've seen since 2000 (the addition and elimination of judges/captions being minor in this context)...the music and visual execution weighting is equal 30-30...effect weighting is a little more at 40

blah blah blah

i'm very sorry about that. It was a show I really enjoyed, and that was just my read on it. Like I said, I could be wrong about it. I would like to know your thoughts on it though. What did you get out of this show?

A vibrating body and three trumpets screaming into a microphone.

I heard they were on Crown's horns, yet "Praise Ye" sounded exactly the same pitch as when they played it in 1990.

No. The horns Star played were silver. Crowns horns are gold.

Yeah, I enjoy being able to have fully civil discussions with people without them degrading into pot-shots, name calling, and unfounded biases.

HOLY C&@%!!!!!!!!! If they brought a streaker to run through the maze of mirrors towards the end, I think their show would go down in history as one of the most memorable. But the problem with the narrative is, "Why is he naked, and how did he end up naked in the maze of mirrors?" Sorry, just had to be philosophical, because your post was so super funny! :lookaround:

But wouldn't the BD haters just criticize the streaker's um..."package" as just another prop? Just sayin'!

But wouldn't the BD haters just criticize the streaker's um..."package" as just another prop? Just sayin'!

It seems odd that everyone who just doesn't like the Devils show this year are "haters". Can't people just not like a show without being lumped as a hater. I have liked almost every Devil show except for Yowza, so am I a hater?

It seems odd that everyone who just doesn't like the Devils show this year are "haters". Can't people just not like a show without being lumped as a hater. I have liked almost every Devil show except for Yowza, so am I a hater?

Define "hater". :lookaround: