Star of Indiana--how did they do?

The opening to Belshazzar's Feast alone was more entertaining than most of the junior corps performances.

Kind of puts things in perspective.

A perspective of: Many mature players. Standing still. In a larger hornline. In a set with upper brass close to front sideline.

None of that takes from what they did (which was total awesomeness,lol), but it's not fair to compare it at all to the competing corps.

I was in sec 240, row 7, on the 50, and after hearing Star and trying to find something to wipe away the tears I looked around. I saw more people wiping away tears than I've ever seen at a show.

A close second was a few minutes before when George Bonfiglio was inducted into the HOF and they showed video clips of 27th. There weren't many dry eyes around me. One guy, sitting right in front of me, bawled so hard I wondered if he was going to be OK. He told me he drove the cook truck for 27th for 10 years back in their prime and he thought his world was going to end when they closed ranks and shut down.

Was a really touching closer for a lot of 'dinos' last night...

They were entertaining. It was great to hear the music live again, and to see those members experiencing the rush of performing one last time.

They didn't march, though. This was a bummer, and I was admittedly left pretty flat. The bar was set pretty high by the Cavalier Alumni in 2008, which I think has been the best alumni performance out there.

Edited by Room_101

Great playing. The presentation was a bit cheesy but good overall. A bit of a letdown after Cavies, Anahiem, and Madison though.

Go back to bed.........................

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I'm surprised to hear they didn't march, though--my understanding was that it was supposed to be a full field show. Guess I misunderstood.

Edited by Sam98

Go back to bed.........................

Just calling it the way I saw it. You'll just have to deal with it.

They were entertaining. It was great to hear the music live again, and to see those members experiencing the rush of performing one last time.

They didn't march, though. This was a bummer, and I was admittedly left pretty flat. The bar was set pretty high by the Cavalier Alumni in 2008, which I think has been the best alumni performance out there.

As a member of the Cavaliers Alumni Corps in 2008, I'd like to jump in. I spoke with some involved with the Star Alumni project, and they brought up an interesting point. Whereas we (CAC) were able to draw from a far longer history of drill maneuvers that perfectly fit the show and took us all the way back into the 1950s, Star came along at a time when flex drill and whiplash evolutions were standard. While we had guys in their 70s marching pivoting files and other traditional maneuvers, Star's drill vocabulary was firmly established in the more modern era of DCI corps. A visual tech told me if they tried marching the type of show they did in the late 1980s and early 1990s, lots of members who are far younger than our 70-year-olds would have trouble keeping up and perhaps even experience injuries. And that made sense to me.

What they did do played to their strengths, and it was magnificent.