Star of Indiana--how did they do?

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I'm surprised to hear they didn't march, though--my understanding was that it was supposed to be a full field show. Guess I misunderstood.

God love 'em. And I certainly did. But there was NO WAY they were going to march. Not going to happen. They couldn't have done the original shows any justice at all.

And for those who wanted to see the M&M they had videos running on the big screen the whole time. Was kind of cool to watch the video and hear the full force of the music again.

But march a show? This is 25 years later. Let's be real. (NO disrespect intended at all.)

the star show was the best part of the night - coherent melodies, musical phrases - after devs and cavies it was a stark reminder of how much more musical and entertaining drum corps was back in the 80s/90s.

interesting to note - the video montage of Star showing the audience at finals back at Camp Randal - entire front side both decks completely full -

compare that to the audience at prelims last night - there were what, maybe 8-10K people at Indianapolis last night?

As a member of the Cavaliers Alumni Corps in 2008, I'd like to jump in. I spoke with some involved with the Star Alumni project, and they brought up an interesting point. Whereas we (CAC) were able to draw from a far longer history of drill maneuvers that perfectly fit the show and took us all the way back into the 1950s, Star came along at a time when flex drill and whiplash evolutions were standard. While we had guys in their 70s marching pivoting files and other traditional maneuvers, Star's drill vocabulary was firmly established in the more modern era of DCI corps. A visual tech told me if they tried marching the type of show they did in the late 1980s and early 1990s, lots of members who are far younger than our 70-year-olds would have trouble keeping up and perhaps even experience injuries. And that made sense to me.

What they did do played to their strengths, and it was magnificent.

Great point! Star should have put their children on the field and march the drill, while the Star Alumni played. :lookaround:

the star show was the best part of the night - coherent melodies, musical phrases - after devs and cavies it was a stark reminder of how much more musical and entertaining drum corps was back in the 80s/90s.

interesting to note - the video montage of Star showing the audience at finals back at Camp Randal - entire front side both decks completely full -

compare that to the audience at prelims last night - there were what, maybe 8-10K people at Indianapolis last night?

Interesting you make that comparison. Star was ridiculed for their show back then, even booed. Now they're held in deep respect (as they should have, back then).....sound familiar?

It just takes time to appreciate Game Changers.

As a member of the Cavaliers Alumni Corps in 2008, I'd like to jump in. I spoke with some involved with the Star Alumni project, and they brought up an interesting point. Whereas we (CAC) were able to draw from a far longer history of drill maneuvers that perfectly fit the show and took us all the way back into the 1950s, Star came along at a time when flex drill and whiplash evolutions were standard. While we had guys in their 70s marching pivoting files and other traditional maneuvers, Star's drill vocabulary was firmly established in the more modern era of DCI corps. A visual tech told me if they tried marching the type of show they did in the late 1980s and early 1990s, lots of members who are far younger than our 70-year-olds would have trouble keeping up and perhaps even experience injuries. And that made sense to me.

What they did do played to their strengths, and it was magnificent.

Very true. Add to that that many of us former members of all corps are, well, portly, and it makes for a dangerous situation. By not marching they avoid worries about heart attacks on the field and also include a much bigger section of the past corps. Music can be worked on 1000 miles away and brought together in a few days. Marching, no way.

I loved it. However, since SOI was during the period when I dropped out of watching corps and disappeared before I came back, can someone please tell me what the significance of the pink shirts was? My first thought was "Oh my!" and not in a good way. I'm assuming it had something to do with past shows?