2010 Finals Booing?

Here's where I agree with you.

These staffs arn't stupid. They knew full well in their show preparation in the off season this type of show would meet with golf claps... or worse... boos.

They didnt write the shows for the fans.

Right. This is the problem!

Edited by FlamMan

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you honestly believe that the DCI BOD isn't concerned about the booing & general angst towards the drum corps activity today? If they aren't, then they should all be replaced. This activity must make it a priority to please the fans. Period.

There is a difference between being upset with who wins and the activity as a whole. There was a corps for everyone's style this year, and there seems to be a positive vibe with the competitive field as a whole. It's fine if you disagree.

I find it impossible to believe that, historically, any "Boos" were directed at a specific Corps or its members. I will always beleive that it's the way a crowd expresses its disagreement with results. I marched, won, lost, and have heard my share of "Boos" over the years - but never on the Starting Line or at the "Cavaliers, you make take the Field" announcement. Do I, as a Fan, approve of "Booing" at announced scores? Yes, although as much as I might disagree, I just don't think I would do it. I save my Rants, Raves, & "Boos (NOT my Booze) for Total War websites like DCP! :sad:

I know I'm probably bringing back old news (again) but as I stated before and as others have stated, it's obvious this isn't anything new. Another example would be the 1992 retreat when Phantom was announced in 8th. I was there and I did not hear ONE person cheer or clap when they were announced 8th. Almost the entire crowd sat there stunned for about a second - and then everyone booed!!! Does this mean they were booing Phantom? Or booing the fact that they were displeased with their placement. :sad:

So far, we're stuck in this thread with focusing on placements in the top 2 or 3 with the booing. But it's nothing new... not by a LONG shot... but it seems to hit people harder when it comes to the champ or almost champ being booed - however how do you explain the booing when PR was announced 8th in 1992? Would you say that the fans were booing the judges? Booing the top 7 corps for beating Phantom? Booing Phantom for not placing higher? Obviously not the last one, but still.

I think this Phantom 1992 announcement in finals is a perfect example of why I think it's OK to boo. I don't think ANY ONE of those members of Phantom Regiment believed that the booing was at them or their performance - but the dislike and disapproval by the fans of the final results. Maybe some of you will still say "no, you can't boo in this activity no matter what." Ok... how about in that case? Any PR alumni from that year want to chime in and give an opinion. I wasn't a member then, but I'd see it as a compliment to show how much that corps was loved by the fans. However, does that mean those boos should give the impression to the corps that place 1-7 that they were NOT appreciated by the fans as much? ha! I don't know. :thumbup:

Another example but from the DCA side:

2003 DCA finals. We (Renegades) were hit with a 1 point penalty which dropped us from 4th to 6th. When it was announced, there were boos from all over the stadium. We knew why and we loved every minute of it! It instantly became an inside joke for the corps.

In fact, every year at DCA, if you listen real closely, when scores are being announced at finals you can hear a ghostly voice waaaay off in the distance cry out "IT WAS MEEEEEEE IN OHHHHHHH THREEEEEEE!"

Do you honestly believe that the DCI BOD isn't concerned about the booing & general angst towards the drum corps activity today? If they aren't, then they should all be replaced. This activity must make it a priority to please the fans. Period.

I feel like "the activity" did make that a priority this year. I think I may have enjoyed this group of finalists, taken as a whole, more than any of the other 14 championships I've attended. Plenty of great music books this year. Plenty of places where the audience gave standing O's mid-show. Plenty of entertaining shows.

#1 wasn't fan-friendly, but it's not the end of the world to have one show a year pushing the envelope like BD did. The problem is not BD - it's if/when everybody else feels like they need to copy BD in order to be rewarded competitively.

I know I'm probably bringing back old news (again) but as I stated before and as others have stated, it's obvious this isn't anything new. Another example would be the 1992 retreat when Phantom was announced in 8th. I was there and I did not hear ONE person cheer or clap when they were announced 8th. Almost the entire crowd sat there stunned for about a second - and then everyone booed!!! Does this mean they were booing Phantom? Or booing the fact that they were displeased with their placement. :sad:

So far, we're stuck in this thread with focusing on placements in the top 2 or 3 with the booing. But it's nothing new... not by a LONG shot... but it seems to hit people harder when it comes to the champ or almost champ being booed - however how do you explain the booing when PR was announced 8th in 1992? Would you say that the fans were booing the judges? Booing the top 7 corps for beating Phantom? Booing Phantom for not placing higher? Obviously not the last one, but still.

I think this Phantom 1992 announcement in finals is a perfect example of why I think it's OK to boo. I don't think ANY ONE of those members of Phantom Regiment believed that the booing was at them or their performance - but the dislike and disapproval by the fans of the final results. Maybe some of you will still say "no, you can't boo in this activity no matter what." Ok... how about in that case? Any PR alumni from that year want to chime in and give an opinion. I wasn't a member then, but I'd see it as a compliment to show how much that corps was loved by the fans. However, does that mean those boos should give the impression to the corps that place 1-7 that they were NOT appreciated by the fans as much? ha! I don't know. :thumbup:

Yes, in that case too. In any case booing is wrong, whether it's for or against a corps. It's like the old saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

If you're booing in support of a corps, you're pretty much booing every corps and judge in the stadium except them. You could argue that you're not, but booing can be interpreted in a billion ways, most of them negative, and someone in that stadium will get hurt by it even if you don't intend to hurt anyone.

Edited by MetalTones2012

#1 wasn't fan-friendly, but it's not the end of the world to have one show a year pushing the envelope like BD did. The problem is not BD - it's if/when everybody else feels like they need to copy BD in order to be rewarded competitively.

edited. Rethinking phrasing of question

Edited by RetiredJedi

Note: Discussing this, not advocating anything.

If boos in '93 made a difference (which I think they did and have ZERO proof of it), then the LACK of boos for the Blue Devils winning this year may not have sent a strong enough message to DCI? I ask this for the people who advocate making no negative statement.

Those that loved this years BD show (Noted as SHOW. Not the Corps itself.) this may be uncomfortable for you and I understand the strong emotion you feel for it. I ask this to those that didn't like the show and do not want DCI to head down this path.

The reason that I ask: Is it possible that fans not reacting in a strong vocal manner has made the G7 feel more powerful? That Drum Corps fans will eat whatever is placed in front of them?

I don't think you need boos to send the message. The difference in audience response between, say, BD and the Cavies, was completely obvious. Everyone in the stadium understood why the Cavies got a standing ovation for their 2nd place score. And everyone saw the crowd go nuts for 10th place Madison. DCI's 5 year plan calls for a review of the judging criteria this off season, so I assume we'll see some tweaks intended to reward fan-friendly programming more in the GE captions.

I would assume that BD's staff understands that shows like BD 2010 and Star 1993 are luxuries made possible by the full DCI circuit - radical shows that still play to a full house because the overall competition attracts the audience. As I said above, it's a great finals when you get everything from Madison 2010 to BD 2010! But when Star/Blast needed to fill theaters on their own, they played Bolero, Appalachian Spring and Malaguena. If the G7 were to leave DCI and thus need to fill their own stadiums, I guarantee they would not be performing a whole lot of City of Glass!

I don't think you need boos to send the message. The difference in audience response between, say, BD and the Cavies, was completely obvious. Everyone in the stadium understood why the Cavies got a standing ovation for their 2nd place score. And everyone saw the crowd go nuts for 10th place Madison. DCI's 5 year plan calls for a review of the judging criteria this off season, so I assume we'll see some tweaks intended to reward fan-friendly programming more in the GE captions.

I would assume that BD's staff understands that shows like BD 2010 and Star 1993 are luxuries made possible by the full DCI circuit - radical shows that still play to a full house because the overall competition attracts the audience. As I said above, it's a great finals when you get everything from Madison 2010 to BD 2010! But when Star/Blast needed to fill theaters on their own, they played Bolero, Appalachian Spring and Malaguena. If the G7 were to leave DCI and thus need to fill their own stadiums, I guarantee they would not be performing a whole lot of City of Glass!

I did not know the review of the judges criteria is this off season. Thank-You for the information.

Your response is well reasoned and has given me some things to think about. Thank-You.

Star was booed all the time and it really hurt the kids. They did nine years and got out.

The Cadets were harrassed and booed in the blue devils back yard in 2007. Majority of them were blue devils alumni yelling nasty #### at the corps.

so blue devils can take it, they can sure dish it.

Star didn't leave because of booing. please stop spreading this myth. the deal was in the works before finals