Pioneer

There is no proof in that statement. Would your show fee's decrease, sure. But who says that you don't get more local donations and support by being able to go out to the community and claim you are a world champion in OC? The general public doesn't know the difference between OC & WC and frankly don't care. I would also assume your alumni might be more inclined to support a world champion over a 23rd place corps. There are positive things that come along with winning, no matter what division you are in.

if you can get enough from the community to replace what WC pays, more power to you. in this economy I don't see that as realistic

Please don't take offense to this, but this line of thinking is a big part of the problem for corps like Pioneer. People want to march somewhere else and aren't ready, so they come to Pio to get some experience under their belt and bail as soon as they're good enough to make one of the "big boys". Not everyone, but a lot. Pio gets the newbie rookies, and doesn't end up benifiting from their own efforts at instruction because their student is now marching a top 12 corps instead of sticking around to REALLY make Pioneer "Better Every Day".

where pio could benefit is finding way to keep those members...say you get a core group of kids that stick for 4/5 years......you would see improvement with the right staff

Ok...so here is another question.

I have a 15 year old freshman in high school who's marching band is a joke. Nice people, but the program sucks. He is a very good trumpet player, and wants to follow his big brothers footsteps and march corps. Big brother was center snare with a top 12 corps this year, and had a very fulfilling career.

With his lack of marching experience, and assuming he could make the corps, would I be better sending him to Pioneer and get the world class experience, or send him to an organization like the Colts Cadets or another open class group? From what I am reading about Pioneer, I am not sure that getting beat up all summer will give him the positive experience we are looking for....I know this is not exactly what this topic is asking, but goes towards what might be right or wrong with Pio.....

Who beats up on Pioneer? BD, Cadets. Cavies? They "beat up" on everyone. Pioneer scored over a 75 before finals week. They had GE scores in the 80s before finals week. They weren't going out there and s***ing the bed every night. The corps made big strides this year. Recruiting was improved, the field show was a huge step up from previous years too.

If you really want to help the corps, email or call the office. All the contact information is on the Pioneer website.

I would say it depends. For BDB or SCVC I believe it's better to be in open since they already have a solid financial backbone and they can call on their history of success in OC for membership, plus the name recognition of being associated with the A corps.

"..plus lower tour fees?"

Not saying they would have this year, just in general which is more desirable. I certainly know what I think, and (I know this is shocking) I'll share it with you :tongue:

All three years I marched Colts we were Div 1, never last, but the highest we placed I believe was 18th in 88. These were wonderful memorable drum corps years and I have not a single regret marching under the excellent direction of Greg Orwoll those years. My last year marching was with Blue Stars in 93 (took 91 and 92 off). We fielded a very small corps, something like 16 brass, hand full of guard and a decent sized drumline compared to the size of the corps. If my recollection is correct one of the judges suggested we fold the corps after the first performance (staff didn't pull any punches with their arrangements of Candide and we were green green green). We began the season SEVERAL points behind our competition, and what that corps overcame to win div 3 that year was nothing short of astonishing. As much as I enjoyed my years at Colts, I would have given them all up for my one year at Blue Stars. So, from my experience and coming from the perspective of the marching member, I would have to say being 1st in OC would be more fulfilling than last in WC. Again, just my opinion.

That's not shocking at all! :tongue:

Let's try out a very novel idea.

How much is Pioneer's charter worth? How much cash would it take for DCP to own Pioneer?

Well first the investors would have to get together and form almost a second board to make sure everyone was united in their mission for Pioneer. How this would gel with the current BOD of Pioneer is, naturally, uncertain. Also, how many would be on the board and how many would act as "shareholders?" (The non-big-time investors of, say, $100 here or there) What would their role be? Assuming you gave all investors some kind of power/responsibility...

I don't know that I am. Novel, yes...but

1. Could enough money be raised?

And

2. Could DCP manage a corps as well or better than Top 12 managers do now?

1. Assuming the answer is "yes..."

2. I'm sure there's SOMEONE on DCP is qualified and MAYBE (big maybe), DCP as a whole if they're all united in the direction they want to take Pioneer.

Ok...so here is another question.

I have a 15 year old freshman in high school who's marching band is a joke. Nice people, but the program sucks. He is a very good trumpet player, and wants to follow his big brothers footsteps and march corps. Big brother was center snare with a top 12 corps this year, and had a very fulfilling career.

With his lack of marching experience, and assuming he could make the corps, would I be better sending him to Pioneer and get the world class experience, or send him to an organization like the Colts Cadets or another open class group? From what I am reading about Pioneer, I am not sure that getting beat up all summer will give him the positive experience we are looking for....I know this is not exactly what this topic is asking, but goes towards what might be right or wrong with Pio.....

If he's talented and motivated, staff will not care about the quality of the program he comes from. Work ethic, playing chops and keeping your feet in time are the bare essentials to make most corps. Have him try out where he wants to march

Who beats up on Pioneer? BD, Cadets. Cavies? They "beat up" on everyone. Pioneer scored over a 75 before finals week. They had GE scores in the 80s before finals week. They weren't going out there and s***ing the bed every night. The corps made big strides this year. Recruiting was improved, the field show was a huge step up from previous years too.

If you really want to help the corps, email or call the office. All the contact information is on the Pioneer website.

Well, to be frank, everyone. Just sayin.

Pioneer is one of the least beat upon corps in the history of DCP.

That said, I don't get most of the whining I hear about them regarding their religious practices...and I'm about as secular as one can get.

Let's try out a very novel idea.

How much is Pioneer's charter worth? How much cash would it take for DCP to own Pioneer?

Great sense of huor, Tom. You can't get people on DCP to agree on the time of day. Talk about a recipe for disaster. It would be a circular firing squad.

Great sense of huor, Tom. You can't get people on DCP to agree on the time of day. Talk about a recipe for disaster. It would be a circular firing squad.

lol, TRUTH!