Pioneer

I've always liked Pioneer's shows. I can hum the tunes afterward and they give me a little treat after their show by parading across in front of the stands with a good march. I wish the other corps still did this. They just go off with a bass drum beat and that's all. I know the show can take a lot of energy out of you, but you are all young kids. Come on, give us just a bit more and an opportunity for us to show our appreciation more. That's all.

Garry Owen March! It was always fun hearing that played as the corps trooped the stands (I was pushing my percussion rack).

Garry Owen March! It was always fun hearing that played as the corps trooped the stands (I was pushing my percussion rack).

I just looked it up on www.amazon.com and the 129th Army Band is playing it. The tempo is much slower than what Pioneer plays it at. Anyway, it was always a nice way to have the corps exit by going in front of the stands and playing. All of us were standing up and clapping right along. Why don't other corps play a march while they are exiting the field? Do the corps still do parades? What songs do they play for parades?

I just looked it up on www.amazon.com and the 129th Army Band is playing it. The tempo is much slower than what Pioneer plays it at. Anyway, it was always a nice way to have the corps exit by going in front of the stands and playing. All of us were standing up and clapping right along. Why don't other corps play a march while they are exiting the field? Do the corps still do parades? What songs do they play for parades?

When I marched, it was just Garry Owen and the streetbeat, however, I believe the corps now plays Battle Hymn of the Republic as well.

I've always liked "Gary Owen" for Pioneer for the same reason I like "Conquest" for BAC. They don't overdo it, but it's traditional and it fits the image. :thumbup:

For the record, the song is "Garryowen", not "Gary Owen". Everything you ever wanted to know about the official song of the 1st Cavalry Division, US Army can be found here.

The short version: The song can be traced back to the 1860's, originally sung as an Irish quick-step. The name comes from an area of Limerick, Ireland called "Garryowen", itself a compounded word composed of two Irish words, which means "Garden of Owen". You can find the song lyrics on the page I referenced.

The song is played by many military bands, but no one plays it better than the 1st Cav band, not even Pioneer :)

For the record, the song is "Garryowen", not "Gary Owen". Everything you ever wanted to know about the official song of the 1st Cavalry Division, US Army can be found here.

The short version: The song can be traced back to the 1860's, originally sung as an Irish quick-step. The name comes from an area of Limerick, Ireland called "Garryowen", itself a compounded word composed of two Irish words, which means "Garden of Owen". You can find the song lyrics on the page I referenced.

The song is played by many military bands, but no one plays it better than the 1st Cav band, not even Pioneer :)

This is very interesting information. I found the march on www.amazon.com a few days back. It was an Army band playing it but it was much slower than when I heard Pioneer play it.

Here is an update for Pioneer from the newly updated/re-created website:

Staff Announcements for Pioneer

Is this the right step? Mr. Case is a nice guy, but is this a step forward?

No offense, he has many years of experience, but I am looking at corps names of corps that havent been around for decades!

This quote can be read in manhy different ways: "Corps Director, Roman Blenski, says that the appointment of Larry Case is a perfect fit for the corps. His familiarity, talent, knowledge, and personal experience in every area of the corps activity is a definite asset that will be to our benefit. His strong work ethics and personal commitment exemplifies Pioneer’s Corps motto, “Better Every Day!”

I am not trying to be a flame-baiter, but to me it sounds like they might have found the right yes man for the job.

I do pray that they will be heading in a step that will continue to build and grow. I personally don't think that this is it.

Prove me wrong! PLEASE! :smile: