Pioneer

I complete agree that this thread has become very irrelevant in a hurry to a certain extent, but I can see how it happens very easily. Any time you talk with somebody about how to improve Pioneer, the "glory years" from the mid 90's always come up. Everyone wants to know how we can revive that magic, and where the magic was lost along the way. Thus, the off topic direction...

I complete agree that this thread has become very irrelevant in a hurry to a certain extent, but I can see how it happens very easily. Any time you talk with somebody about how to improve Pioneer, the "glory years" from the mid 90's always come up. Everyone wants to know how we can revive that magic, and where the magic was lost along the way. Thus, the off topic direction...

I think some indications from the corps of who will be hired for next season would stop some of the questions etc. Since you are the webmaster do you have any insight as to when or who?

Just a few pertinent facts in the comparison between the "glory" years and last season. During the "glory' years Roman was very involved in DCM and Division II/III and did not have his hand as much in the corps. If you took the corps from back then and put it in the present day they would not beat many groups, actually likely none. The pioneer last season was so much more musical especially percussion and the visual was way more advanced so I do not think bringing back those who marched then as staff or designers will help improve things.

While I agree that DCI did not punish the corps, the way that the season ended still leaves many who marched that season with an odd sense of the unreal. I still to this day find Les Etoiles' come back to be nothing short of amazing. If Nite Express had beaten us, it would have been a little easier pill to swallow because they were only a couple points behind us most of the season and we had a hard fought battle with them all season. Les Etoiles was never even close to us right up to the last time we saw them the week before finals. To close and surpass 6+ point spread in less than a week is pretty much unheard of in the era of modern drum corps judging. It would have been the equivalent of Santa Clara, Blue Stars, or even Boston Crusaders coming from approximately 6 points back with only a week left this season to pass the Blue Devils for the title. It's not going to happen... This isn't football where any given team can win on any given Sunday.

you mean like 96 when Phantom rose thru the ranks over 3 days in Orlando. :spitting:

and as a fan in the stands, with no ties to either corps in 96, Pio ended up where they belonged as did les Etoiles. both corps earned fans that day. shame is, only of you are still here, and the one that is needs to make some tough decisions in order to keep going in the future.

I think some indications from the corps of who will be hired for next season would stop some of the questions etc. Since you are the webmaster do you have any insight as to when or who?

Announcements are coming in the near future. I had lunch with Roman last week and a lot of good things are going on. Just trying to put all of the pieces together in the most logical way.

"Biggest immediate problem is the percussion program lost ALL the fire it had, like a decade ago?? I'm already working on the basics of a plan that involves using the strongest percussion talent from that line, which are still in the work force either as performers, university instructors or visual design experts. "Folks, these are people feeding themselves from their skills," From the Pioneer drumline alone in 96, there is diverse talent to tap into which can effect most of the corps. The days of hiring local cheap college age talent has to end. Our drum staff in 96 was not local, not cheap, and brought us the hardware. They knew how to work us and they didn't have a part time bowling league mentality."

I would like to respond to this only because I found it a little offensive. There was nothing about this summers percussion staff that was less than excellent. We certainly weren't the "cheap college level talent" that you speak of. Everyday, we went outside and worked hard to the best of our abilities. The members worked hard every day to the best of their abilities. I say this because I was an outsider who joined the staff this year with no previous exposure to Pioneer other than what I had seen in previous lots and dci shows. I have so much respect for every member of this staff, not just because we became friends this summer, but because of everybody's ability to make every day a learning experience for the percussion section. The percussion section became a much more mature ensemble by the end of the summer, and that is due in no small amount to the huge amount of work the staff put in to this group. Sure, there were problems, but many of them were out of the members (and the staffs') control. That being said, I would gladly work with every member of that staff again, because they are all great individuals, great musicians, and great friends.

To Adam, Chris, Tony, Strauss, Tarka, Jake, Id, and Aaron..... thank you for helping make my summer one to remember.

BW

I am glad that the Ummmmm self imposed savior of Pioneer has been shown to be what he is... Self serving, rude and speaking of what he clearly knows very little, or he would be doing it at Pioneer (or elsewhere) right now and not gracing us with his expertice... Carry On... :spitting:

I've always liked Pioneer's shows. I can hum the tunes afterward and they give me a little treat after their show by parading across in front of the stands with a good march. I wish the other corps still did this. They just go off with a bass drum beat and that's all. I know the show can take a lot of energy out of you, but you are all young kids. Come on, give us just a bit more and an opportunity for us to show our appreciation more. That's all.

Announcements are coming in the near future. I had lunch with Roman last week and a lot of good things are going on. Just trying to put all of the pieces together in the most logical way.

So...what are some of the "good things" that you mention our dear webmaster?

I am glad that the Ummmmm self imposed savior of Pioneer has been shown to be what he is... Self serving, rude and speaking of what he clearly knows very little, or he would be doing it at Pioneer (or elsewhere) right now and not gracing us with his expertice... Carry On... :thumbup:

yeah it's like people that claim to be on the staff of a corps they never were.