Pioneer

Based on the new format it appears Pioneer will still be done Thursday unless they make substancial improvement. In my opinion they went backwards in the change to program coordinator so that does not help.

I have to agree, unfortunately. Who know though. I really hope that they blow away all of our expectations.

I am still hoping for them to really be Better Everyday!

Based on the new format it appears Pioneer will still be done Thursday unless they make substancial improvement. In my opinion they went backwards in the change to program coordinator so that does not help.

For Pioneer to miss the Friday show they would have to lose to all of the WC corps and at least 3 of the OC corps on thursday. I could see it as a possibility, but I still think Pioneer will be able to at least hang on to the 25th spot next summer.

Here is an update for Pioneer from the newly updated/re-created website:

Staff Announcements for Pioneer

Is this the right step? Mr. Case is a nice guy, but is this a step forward?

No offense, he has many years of experience, but I am looking at corps names of corps that havent been around for decades!

This quote can be read in manhy different ways: "Corps Director, Roman Blenski, says that the appointment of Larry Case is a perfect fit for the corps. His familiarity, talent, knowledge, and personal experience in every area of the corps activity is a definite asset that will be to our benefit. His strong work ethics and personal commitment exemplifies Pioneer’s Corps motto, “Better Every Day!”

I am not trying to be a flame-baiter, but to me it sounds like they might have found the right yes man for the job.

I do pray that they will be heading in a step that will continue to build and grow. I personally don't think that this is it.

Prove me wrong! PLEASE! :laughing:

Translation: "Here is a guy who won't rock the boat and will adhere to my every command."

Edited by BozzlyB

For Pioneer to miss the Friday show they would have to lose to all of the WC corps and at least 3 of the OC corps on thursday. I could see it as a possibility, but I still think Pioneer will be able to at least hang on to the 25th spot next summer.

Based on last season, they lost to all world, add in BDB, Oregon Crusaders, Spartans, SCV cadets who beat BDB once but did not attend finals, Probably Revolution. That would make 25th a distant memory!

Based on last season, they lost to all world, add in BDB, Oregon Crusaders, Spartans, SCV cadets who beat BDB once but did not attend finals, Probably Revolution. That would make 25th a distant memory!

My guess is that the Pioneer clan in general was probably not too thrilled with the recent changes to DCI week. Just a guess.

Based on past history and last season Pioneer would of made the top 25 along with BDB and Oregon Crusaders. You can not count SCVC because they were not at finals. You are not taking into account the drop in scores when OC and WC are judged on the same sheets. And there will be a drop in scores for OC for sure. You can take that to the bank.

Dean

I have to agree, unfortunately. Who know though. I really hope that they blow away all of our expectations.

They at least are doing something, just might be the kick in the pants that is needed. Anything is better than nothing. Good luck PIONEER!

Agreed, but I wish that the poster you responded to didn't use the phrase "They'll be done by Thursday unless...". I almost took a heart attack. I thought they meant THIS Thursday. Whew! :tongue:

Translation: "Here is a guy who won't rock the boat and will adhere to my every command."

In reading these posts, I'm disappointed in the blatant disrespect shown when referencing Mr. Case. People using phrases that suggest his appointment being a "step backwards"; that because of his history/credentials, he's somehow incapable of contributing anything that may lean to a more contemporary approach to program design (i.e., He's "old school," etc.), or that he's nothing more than a puppet or "yes man" for Roman.

Isn't there a way to discuss this topic and express opinions without the disrespectful comments. How about this...

Larry Case has an admirable and knowledgeable background, including his previous work with some of the the most successful Pioneer corps in the organization's history, including their strongest showings at the World Class level in the early parts of this decade. Hopefully, he can continue where he left off with his previous successes with Pioneer, which (IMO) should include pushing toward program design aspects that will be comparable/competitive with their World Class counterparts.

In other words, I think people should get off his case (No pun intended).

In answer to the OP's question about what's next for Pioneer, I think it should be obvious that we are discussing an organization (and/or an Executive Director) that values the experience of participation in this organization for its members, over the competitive aspects of a particular circuit (DCI), for whatever reason and to whatever degree. Everyone knows that, including those that choose to march there. Therefor, we can and should simply conclude that they can and will continue to do what they feel is most important to achieve their goals for the members and the organization as a whole. Whatever that may be, they're still here after 50 years, and still going strong in putting a drum corps on the field... good drum corps over the decades, that people have enjoyed watching, and generally, corps comprised of members that have enjoyed being a part of the organization's history.

The fact is that Pioneer continues to have a strong place in this incredibly fragile activity. They're serving a unique purpose that most cannot understand, and/or are not willing to try to understand... which I suppose is also okay... because that purpose ultimately doesn't concern those outside the corps.

Understandably, the competitive nature of our activity influences or limits some people to an isolated, assumptive view of what Pioneer is all about, or maybe what should be most important to them. I've learned to let it go and simply enjoy what they offer, year after year, knowing that there's something special going on on that field, and there's a message wrapped around the identity of that corps that has value that is difficult to describe or comprehend for many... but it is real value none-the-less.

Congratulations to Larry Case and Pioneer. Happy 50th Anniversary!

In reading these posts, I'm disappointed in the blatant disrespect shown when referencing Mr. Case. People using phrases that suggest his appointment being a "step backwards"; that because of his history/credentials, he's somehow incapable of contributing anything that may lean to a more contemporary approach to program design (i.e., He's "old school," etc.), or that he's nothing more than a puppet or "yes man" for Roman.

Isn't there a way to discuss this topic and express opinions without the disrespectful comments. How about this...

Larry Case has an admirable and knowledgeable background, including his previous work with some of the the most successful Pioneer corps in the organization's history, including their strongest showings at the World Class level in the early parts of this decade. Hopefully, he can continue where he left off with his previous successes with Pioneer, which (IMO) should include pushing toward program design aspects that will be comparable/competitive with their World Class counterparts.

In other words, I think people should get off his case (No pun intended).

In answer to the OP's question about what's next for Pioneer, I think it should be obvious that we are discussing an organization (and/or an Executive Director) that values the experience of participation in this organization for its members, over the competitive aspects of a particular circuit (DCI), for whatever reason and to whatever degree. Everyone knows that, including those that choose to march there. Therefor, we can and should simply conclude that they can and will continue to do what they feel is most important to achieve their goals for the members and the organization as a whole. Whatever that may be, they're still here after 50 years, and still going strong in putting a drum corps on the field... good drum corps over the decades, that people have enjoyed watching, and generally, corps comprised of members that have enjoyed being a part of the organization's history.

The fact is that Pioneer continues to have a strong place in this incredibly fragile activity. They're serving a unique purpose that most cannot understand, and/or are not willing to try to understand... which I suppose is also okay... because that purpose ultimately doesn't concern those outside the corps.

Understandably, the competitive nature of our activity influences or limits some people to an isolated, assumptive view of what Pioneer is all about, or maybe what should be most important to them. I've learned to let it go and simply enjoy what they offer, year after year, knowing that there's something special going on on that field, and there's a message wrapped around the identity of that corps that has value that is difficult to describe or comprehend for many... but it is real value none-the-less.

Congratulations to Larry Case and Pioneer. Happy 50th Anniversary!

Thank You for showing this awesome organization that gives kids a place to have the "DRUM CORPS" experience the respect that it deserves...