Who is REALLY boycotting DCI?

BX5CM

Many drum corps fans have their "if DCI adds X, I'm pulling my support" statement. It's different for various people... but I wonder how many people are REALLY going to give up this activity so easily?

In my opinion, I think most people on here make a lot of noise about WW's, Amps, and Bb horns...but I wonder how many people are REALLY boycotting DCI completely?? That means no merchandise, no shows, no DVDs, no CDs, no Fan Network, no downloads, no donations to ANY DCI corps, and no tuition sponsorships since your "X" was added to DCI?

Fess up now... and keep in mind that I'm not looking to ridicule anyone, just curious. I think the number is very low. I believe that it speaks to the true power of the activity, that no matter what form it takes and no matter how peeved a certain vocal minority gets about the evolution of the activity, I think 99.9% of the fans stick with it because their love is that deep.

So I put it to you now...who's for real? And please keep in mind that I WILL be looking for anyone who speaks up at every DCI show in the country. :angel1:

Edited by BX5CM

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I dont think anyone is for real, its all talk. Of course I would still watch DCI if they added marching woodwinds in, but I would be completely dead on the inside. Marching music is still one of my passions, and DCI is my favorite in the activity, and I wish with all my heart that it stays how it is now (or even removes some of the synths/amps) but if it did take another direction of course I would still support it.

Many drum corps fans have their "if DCI adds X, I'm pulling my support" statement. It's different for various people... but I wonder how many people are REALLY going to give up this activity so easily?

In my opinion, I think most people on here make a lot of noise about WW's, Amps, and Bb horns...but I wonder how many people are REALLY boycotting DCI completely?? That means no merchandise, no tickets, no DVDs, no donations to ANY corps since that certain thing that just pushed you over the edge was allowed?

Fess up now... and keep in mind that I'm not looking to ridicule anyone, just curious. I think the number is very low. I believe that it speaks to the true power of the activity, that no matter what form it takes and no matter how peeved people get about the evolution of the activity 99.9% of the fans stick with it because their love is that deep.

So I put it to you now...who's for real? And please keep in mind that I WILL be looking for anyone who speaks up at every DCI show in the country. :angel1:

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence, but I'm one who has put DCI completely, totally, and utterly out of my mind - no shows, no DVD's, no CD's, no souvies, no support of any kind.

I haven't been to a DCI show in seven or eight years; don't even know who won this year (or last).

There is no one item that caused me to defect. I simply don't care at all for what DCI has become and what it has done to the activity I grew up in.

This is my first post (I believe) on the DCI section of DCP - and will more than likely be my last. I only posted this because I thought your question was intriguing.

Andy

In my opinion, I think most people on here make a lot of noise about WW's, Amps, and Bb horns... but I wonder how many people are REALLY boycotting DCI completely? That means no merchandise, no tickets, no DVDs, no donations to ANY corps since that certain thing that just pushed you over the edge was allowed?

Fess up now... and keep in mind that I'm not looking to ridicule anyone, just curious. I think the number is very low. I believe that it speaks to the true power of the activity, that no matter what form it takes and no matter how peeved people get about the evolution of the activity 99.9% of the fans stick with it because their love is that deep.

Why do you think people responding to the woodwinds poll were answering untruthfully? And why do you think they'll respond more honestly to you?

I think a heft percentage of the historical section ... and a good chunk of the DCA section of DCP have nothing to do with DCI.

I have my 5 year droughts of support for the activity .... and then I give it a shot for a couple years. I don't plan on spending any money on DCI next year. Not after this years results. If I were going to support anything within DCI it would be Open Class. They need it more than anyone. That doesn't mean I care for their product either ... but it's the only thing that's going to keep DCI going and hopefully one day ... DCI won't be in the state it's in right now.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence, but I'm one who has put DCI completely, totally, and utterly out of my mind - no shows, no DVD's, no CD's, no souvies, no support of any kind.

I haven't been to a DCI show in seven or eight years; don't even know who won this year (or last).

There is no one item that caused me to defect. I simply don't care at all for what DCI has become and what it has done to the activity I grew up in.

This is my first post (I believe) on the DCI section of DCP - and will more than likely be my last. I only posted this because I thought your question was intriguing.

Andy

I have to wonder about a guy who claims he has no interest anymore at all in DCI Drum Corps.

But then comes onto a DCI Drum Corps discussion site to want to know what fans think of DCI Drum Corps.

Look,.. lets get " real " here. You either " don't have interest anymore "....or you do have some remaining interest. Otherwise, why would you care what other people think aout something that you claim you have absolutely no more interest in ? Yes, there is the need to be " real" here.

Edited by BRASSO

Andy

I was trying to be funny by implying that, even if someone says "No, I'm not supporting DCI" how could anyone prove their LACK of support? I was basically making fun of myself.

I'm young. I've never marched without Bb/F horns, amplification was already used by other corps when I started so I was used to it by the time my corps did, and honestly I love how electronic instruments have turned out even though I was against it before. (Though to be specific, I don't like sound clips at all. Even if it's played on an electronic instrument I still want it to be played by an actual person, there's no talent in pre-recorded music.)

However if woodwinds are added to DCI I would no longer find shows entertaining. I hate marching bands. if I wanted to see one I would go to a USSBA competition, and I don't do that so why would I want to do it year-round?