What the fans want...2011

On that issue, a question: G bugles are believed by many to play louder than Bb bugles -- but where would bugles in other keys fit in that scheme? Are Bb bugles the softest build? Are G bugles the loudest? Or would A bugles play louder than G and D bugles play softer than Bb? (Or does it depend on the key of the music?)

I would suggest reading The G Bugle: History and Identity by Peter Bond. Very insightful.

• Like 1

I miss the volume of G horns, but only a few corps in any given year could ever play them in balance, in tune, and with good tone all at the same time.

In short, I'm fine with corps using either Bb or G...trade-offs in what I like regardless.

I would suggest reading The G Bugle: History and Identity by Peter Bond. Very insightful.

Insightful and clearly biased in favor of G bugles.

Marched on Bb, love the sound of both! When you reach a certain point, lush, powerful brass is lush, powerful brass. :spitting:

Interesting. Thanks! So it would seem that an E or F bugle would be louder than a G bugle -- unless G is as low as each size could be designed and still be in the right range for each instrument? (And I wonder, but the article doesn't say, why G was the traditional key for military bugles in the first place.)

This bit was amusing:

The soprano is actually an alto trumpet in G. The proportion of cylindrical to conical tubing is about the same as the modern Bb trumpet. The term "bugle" as it relates to DCI corps today is simply a nod to tradition. It's a big trumpet.

What I want for 2011:

1. Every corps to come out with a membership as large or larger than this year.

2. Every corps to end the season in good financial health.

3. Some corps to play music I know and like, and some corps to introduce me to music I don't know that I'll grow to like.

4. A 5-year moratorium on major rule changes. Let's face it, even if you want some rules to be repealed, that's almost certainly not going to happen. As far as I can tell, the last five-year window without major rules changes occurred before the switch to multi-key instrumentation in 2000. Let's give the designers time to play in the current sandbox for a few years and see what they can do with the toys they have right now.

5. A complete resolution to the G7 nonsense. Whatever is decided, fine...but that's it.

Pipe Dream:

Initiation of The Drum Corps Project...a long-term project to use drum corps to demostrate the value of community, cooperation, and sharing to solve problems in governance and economics which can be used as a model for solving similar problems in society at large.

A multimedia extravaganza featuring bugles keyed in F#, entitled "?AbstrACTion#~" featuring random narrative by Proust, a Lady Gaga inspired colorguard, and chimpanzees playing oboes.

No, not really.

This:

melody

less reliance on electronics

Edited by troon8

QUOTE (Hrothgar15 @ Sep 19 2010, 03:52 PM) *

- Brass limited to bell-front bugles in the key of G

On that issue, a question: G bugles are believed by many to play louder than Bb bugles -- but where would bugles in other keys fit in that scheme? Are Bb bugles the softest build? Are G bugles the loudest? Or would A bugles play louder than G and D bugles play softer than Bb? (Or does it depend on the key of the music?)

Peter Bond's article not withstanding, there's no real proof of any kind that G bugles are inherently "louder" than their Bb counterparts. Most folks (except for those blessed - or cursed, depending on your pov - with perfect pitch) would be hard pressed to tell the difference with their backs turned.

If you love the sound (or are taken with the big visual profile) of the G horns, then go 'head on - such is your taste, although you'll have to settle for the legacy DVDs or the Marine D&B corps in order to get your fix. But I think the volume issue is more of a rose-colored headphone thing.

Peace, no personal disrespect intended. Here's hoping that every fan can find something to enjoy during the coming season.

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5