• 1971-1975
    • 1976-1980
    • 1981-1985
    • 1986-1990
    • 1991-1995
    • 1996-2000
    • 2001-2005
    • 2006-2010

I was exposed to Drum Corps in 2005 off of some random CD my section leader gave me. It was Phantom Regiment's 2003 Harmonic Journey. I just thought they were a super-amazing band and it solidified my pursuit of excellence throughout my High School career because I knew what was possible. I didn't REALLY know what Drum Corps was until maybe 2007 but I still voted 05.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1992, Allentown, DCI East. My mom saw an ad in a local paper, and my dad and I drove up for the show.

This is a bit tangential to the topic, but it seems that in the 70s and 80s, many (most?) kids were first exposed to drum corps during their middle school/junior high years or before, while nowadays it seems to be more often during one's high school years. DCI has set high school students as their primary target audience, and that's when most students get their first serious exposure to marching music. But I wonder if becoming a fan at a younger age has any correlation with becoming a lifelong fan.

remember my first DCi show in 1975, at age 6. I am sure I saw some junior corps before that I just don't remember. Dad marched in DCA since i was -7

Was introduced to drum corps through friends that were in Valley Fever that showed me a copy of '82 finals (and home-made VF video tapes... yes I said tapes!) in early '83. I was in VF within the next few months!

Edited by skajerk

Exposed in 2007 to the activity. Would love to march but I am of the LDS faith, am 18 and planning to go on a mission when I hit 19. I would love to march so much, but I have to save up money for that mission. Its 2 years, and goes from 19 to 21, so I cant march in DCI. However I love the activity more than anything in the world lol

'77 on PBS

'81 in Gen. Putnam's Men

Exposed in 2007 to the activity. Would love to march but I am of the LDS faith, am 18 and planning to go on a mission when I hit 19. I would love to march so much, but I have to save up money for that mission. Its 2 years, and goes from 19 to 21, so I cant march in DCI. However I love the activity more than anything in the world lol

Tough way to miss out but my hat goes off to you. Best of luck!