G8

DC Guy

Doyle Gammill

Right there! He's the head judge, without question! Just seeing that name makes me laugh!

"...hold on, I've been losing my pencils like gangbusters!"

(microphone feedback sound) "...Oh, oh. It looks like we lost a flute here. I bet weeee did. Maybe not! Scared me."

• 4 weeks later...
I kinda look at it as a what if. The whole g8 contraption is a what if.

What if said Corps(g8) put these shows on and some people go and they take a loss? DCI still needs to be paid, stadium still needs to be paid, all expenses still need to be paid ect. ect. ect.

What if the level of competition of the g8 goes down with having 2 diffrent shows to put on in 2011? How in the world to me is that going to help them in the long run when over the last few years they needed more time for the one show they were working on?

What if Phantom and Blue Stars get sick of going on 1st- 8 shows in a row?

What if all the other Corps not included in the experimental shows come out this year full bore and these said 8 Corps get beat by the other Corps?

And yes, I know there is the oppisite to each of these what ifs but what if these 8 Corps took all this effort that they are going to put forth to these experimental shows and used it for what they already have? And make that work in there favor. Its crazy this whole ordeal that we all have had to go thru this past year, I dont think for a minute that this is a solution to there issues or that it has been good for our nich activity.

You all know that the other 15 Corps are going to put on shows the same night as the g8 just to pull the fans further apart, lets see I have a choice a show with 8 Corps with experimental shows or a show with the other 15 Corps in competition. In reality why in the World would the powers that be think this is better for our activity. It just does not seem that we as a group are doing the right things to make our activity better. There has to be something better than this.

I do have to say that what if this happens and it makes all the other Corps that much better and the g8 becomes lower tier Corps, I guess that would be what alot of people have been asking for anyway... some new blood at the top. I guess we will see what happens soon enough.

Don't know about the rest of your "What If's" thirdcoast, but this one I think I can address. The "other" corps don't put on their own shows. Rather, their shows are scheduled by the DCI offices just as the G8 shows are so there is intentional coordination to not overlap shows. It's unlikely that you'll see G8 shows available on the same night in a region where there are local shows scheduled. This makes sense for all involved - G8 and non, as well as DCI, to maximize exposure and not have one type of show format compete with the others.

Also, don't forget that DCI is sending several "headliner" coprs to the west coast this year so, regionally, it will be more difficult to schedule overlapping shows.

This fact also means that fans in the midwest and east will see fewer "headliner" corps throughout the season and will probably have to "suffer" through local shows with fewer headliners.

Just IMO, of course, and DCI scheduling with corps pulls all the strings.

...great way to support the activity?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Don't know about the rest of your "What If's" thirdcoast, but this one I think I can address. The "other" corps don't put on their own shows. Rather, their shows are scheduled by the DCI offices just as the G8 shows are so there is intentional coordination to not overlap shows. It's unlikely that you'll see G8 shows available on the same night in a region where there are local shows scheduled. This makes sense for all involved - G8 and non, as well as DCI, to maximize exposure and not have one type of show format compete with the others.

Also, don't forget that DCI is sending several "headliner" coprs to the west coast this year so, regionally, it will be more difficult to schedule overlapping shows.

This fact also means that fans in the midwest and east will see fewer "headliner" corps throughout the season and will probably have to "suffer" through local shows with fewer headliners.

Just IMO, of course, and DCI scheduling with corps pulls all the strings.

And we have our answer for 2011

July 10 Dubuque IA (7 Corps)

July 22 Odessa TX (12 Corps)

July 31 Orlando FL (5 Corps)

August 7 Erie PA (14 Corps)

I believe that the Drum Corps that will be at each and everyone of these shows need us as fans to be right along with them each and every night that these head to head contests are happening. All these Corps other than the 8 need to come out in 2011 and show the Drum Corps activity that they mean as much as the other 8. No holds bard, we all need to throw down in 2011. Must See Products! Everyone in World Class!

These 4 shows are prime for the picking of the 8. Sell them out, make them bigger than the 8.

Edited by thirdcoast

And we have our answer for 2011

July 10 Dubuque IA (7 Corps)

July 22 Odessa TX (12 Corps)

July 31 Orlando FL (5 Corps)

August 7 Erie PA (14 Corps)

I believe that the Drum Corps that will be at each and everyone of these shows need us as fans to be right along with them each and every night that these head to head contests are happening. All these Corps other than the 8 need to come out in 2011 and show the Drum Corps activity that they mean as much as the other 8. No holds bard, we all need to throw down in 2011. Must See Products! Everyone in World Class!

These 4 shows are prime for the picking of the 8. Sell them out, make them bigger than the 8.

Well - if you're going to go there - a few more to consider supporting:

6/21 - Indianapolis

6/25 - Arlington, VA

6/27 - Bridgeport, CT

7/28 - Milton, FL

7/29 - Gadsden, AL

8/1 - Sevierville, TN

And - the entire Open Class tour.

Full Article

Excerpt:

"New Experimental Events

Being planned separately from the traditional format of the 2011 tour will be a handful of experimental drum corps events, also produced by Drum Corps International. The top eight finishing corps from 2010 have been invited to participate in this series, which will feature additional competitive and non-competitive performance material developed beyond the corps’ standard 11.5 minute production.

“This series will give us the opportunity to explore several new elements in the production of our events using a number of our very best ensembles,” said Mark Arnold, Chairman of the Board of Drum Corps International and Executive Director of the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps. “By creating these unique opportunities for our corps and our fans, we hope to develop exciting new features for future DCI events, helping us to expand our audience while providing a thrilling and engaging experience for everyone.”

A unique competitive environment is also being developed for the experimental series which may include judging techniques not currently utilized under current DCI rules. Further details are in the preliminary stages of development, with additional information expected following the annual meeting in January. "

Your thoughts?

This is wonderful idea. The only downside is that its limited to the Top 8 corps because really any number of corps would have the ability to be a part of this. However, as I understand it the duration of this event (about 3 hours I believe) was an important aspect of the TOC. That way it can be more accessible to people who don't want to go to a 6 hour + competition.

If people see this as a greedy event hosted by the G-8 meanies of drum corps then I'm sorry. It's a great opportunity to get drum corps out there to more people, and can even open more doors in expanding DCI in the future. If it fails, then we know what doesn't work. If its a success then we have at least a path which to follow that will eventually benefit all of DCI. Even those corps that didn't get to participate in this special event. Because in reality any kind of publicity DCI gets helps all member corps.

I'm just glad the DCI is being proactive in planning for the future. It's changing, taking on new ideas and morphing. That's gotta happen for DCI to stick around (like any other company would do)