Drum corps background checks

Where do you draw the line? We have ALL done various things we shouldn't have at one point or another....which things are ok to let slide and which are not? and do you take into consideration the name? I know of one former VERY WELL KNOWN director who was seen by a friend of mine to have a bass drummer up against a wall doing things that a director shouldn't be doing with his underage marching members..... but back then, I guess if you wanted to be in HIS corps, you did what HE wanted.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you draw the line?

Being a staff member, volunteer, or performing member with any DCI unit is At Will. So, the line is drawn at: a) Criminal Behavior, past or present, that would detrimentally affect the corps personnel or corps reputation; and b) Any other non-criminal behavior that goes against the Code of Conduct set up by the Director.

We have ALL done various things we shouldn't have at one point or another...

This is not an issue of staying out past curfew as a teenager or other 'minor' various slip-ups that we ALL have done in out pasts which are sometimes skeletons in our closets. What we are talking about here here are behaviors that could either get a person put in jail or fired from a job like stealing, fraud, violence, sexual intimidation, rape, murder, ad infinitum. We ALL have 'not' exhibited those behaviors; I know that I for one have not.

Where do you draw the line? We have ALL done various things we shouldn't have at one point or another....which things are ok to let slide and which are not? and do you take into consideration the name? I know of one former VERY WELL KNOWN director who was seen by a friend of mine to have a bass drummer up against a wall doing things that a director shouldn't be doing with his underage marching members..... but back then, I guess if you wanted to be in HIS corps, you did what HE wanted.

Clearly, the line is drawn at things that are illegal. There can be no subjectivity on this issue, IMO.

And any adult wishing to CHA would follow the sound advice that "the truth is only told in the presence of three people".

"Things" we've all done that affect other adults is one thing. And that's completely different from things we do that affect students of any age who are under our control.

EDIT: Oops...three people, not two.

Edited by garfield

I think it all comes down to a phrase I've been hearing for years in regards to teaching and instructing...... D.F.T.K. (Don't ---- The Kids)

Being a staff member, volunteer, or performing member with any DCI unit is At Will. So, the line is drawn at: a) Criminal Behavior, past or present, that would detrimentally affect the corps personnel or corps reputation; and b) Any other non-criminal behavior that goes against the Code of Conduct set up by the Director.

This is not an issue of staying out past curfew as a teenager or other 'minor' various slip-ups that we ALL have done in out pasts which are sometimes skeletons in our closets. What we are talking about here here are behaviors that could either get a person put in jail or fired from a job like stealing, fraud, violence, sexual intimidation, rape, murder, ad infinitum. We ALL have 'not' exhibited those behaviors; I know that I for one have not.

win

convicted, or merely rumored? That gets into a whole different issue... what if someone was rumored or suspected, but never tried/convicted We have this thing called due process.....innocent until PROVEN guilty....

Just playing Dev's Advo, that's all.

convicted, or merely rumored? That gets into a whole different issue... what if someone was rumored or suspected, but never tried/convicted We have this thing called due process.....innocent until PROVEN guilty....

Just playing Dev's Advo, that's all.

We also have this thing called " better be safe than sorry.".. and " protect your child at ALL costs ".

So if I 'm a parent of a potential marcher and I hear rumors that an instructor in that Corps has involved themselves in really bad behaviours ( of any kind ), then my child is not marching in that Corps as long as I can help it. Maybe the rumors are false. I don't care. I don't take that chance. Life's not fair sometimes. If that instructor feels that someone has put out malicious rumors that are untrue about him or her, then that instructor has legal remedies they need to pursue to rectify that situation. In the meantime, it's a no brainer. The marcher doesn't march there if the parent has half a brain and possesses any parental wisdom and responsibility at all.

Edited by BRASSO

This is a very difficult issue in DCI as it has been a pretty big issue for many, many, many years at the very top levels of Drum Corps... There are many a report of drum corps directors having their way with their young drum majors, MM's etc... I know of one guy from a corps in So. Cal who ended up marrying one of his MM's of course after she was old enough... But still this isn't new... just new to being reported...

Do I have answers... Nope I am just pointing out that this probably should have been addressed in the early 70's here in California...

we had one of the bus drivers marry a soprano player in Miami in 83. she was 21 and it was covered by the Miami media. they walked through the colorguard flags while the corps played my funny valentine. they spent thier honeymoon in one of the bus bays. I now because I went to get somthing out while he was pulling somthing out. both old enough but true story. I think they were divorced not too long after