DCA Finals 2012

Is walking around the Academy campus possible? I understand the stadium is outside of the campus grounds.

Wow, just remembered the son of a former boss should be a Sr at the Academy this year. :laughing:

Absolutely. The Naval Academy is about a mile and a half from the stadium, and we are working on a system of shuttles that weekend to take fans from the stadium to various points of interest, such as Annapolis City Dock and the Naval Academy Visitors Center (which is on campus).

The only limitation for visiting the Naval Academy is that you can't park non-DoD vehicles on the campus.

Jeff

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. The Naval Academy is about a mile and a half from the stadium, and we are working on a system of shuttles that weekend to take fans from the stadium to various points of interest, such as Annapolis City Dock and the Naval Academy Visitors Center (which is on campus).

The only limitation for visiting the Naval Academy is that you can't park non-DoD vehicles on the campus.

Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff, would love to see the campus since I work for the Navy up her at Mechanicsburg. LOL, have a DoD sticker on the windshield but doubt if the guards would buy "Just looking around" as offical business. :laughing:

Thanks for the info Jeff, would love to see the campus since I work for the Navy up her at Mechanicsburg. LOL, have a DoD sticker on the windshield but doubt if the guards would buy "Just looking around" as offical business. :laughing:

If you have DoD's on your car, welcome aboard.... there is a lot of "just looking around" here at USNA, so come on down!

Is there by any chance any museums on the grounds? I know West Point has an OUTSTANDING military museum...

If you have DoD's on your car, welcome aboard.... there is a lot of "just looking around" here at USNA, so come on down!

Do we just need the stickers or anything else? Translation: I have DoD picture ID/badge but the wife and other people in our group do not. Nice part is, two members of our group have trouble walking or climbing bus steps so looking out the car windows would be a blessing.

Edit: Irony is I switched duties because I didn't want to spend Mon-Fri at Annapolis for a period of three years (just burned out from travel). Leave it to Drum Corps to bring me there. :laughing:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The driver will need an ID that corresponds to the vehicle stickers (i.e. DoD badge), but the passengers will just need need to show identification (i.e. drivers license, etc.).

There are three "museums" here at USNA. The first is the standard Visitors Center exhibit, which traces the history and mission of the Academy and focuses primarily on admissions. The other two museums are in Preble Hall, one of which features the world's foremost model ship exhibits. There are details on the USNA website at "http://www.usna.edu/Museum/homepage.htm".

Also popular with visitors is the Naval Academy Chapel and John Paul Jones' crypt.

Jeff

Thanks so much Jeff, LOL so different than where I work.

Then again, who the Hades wants to see a bunch of warehouses? :laughing: Even the office areas are in converted warehouses. :thumbup:

s/ Guy who works at one of the few Navy bases in the world that doesn't have any ships. :thumbup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

mom worked there 30 years, so did other family members. i knew my way around

Then again, who the Hades wants to see a bunch of warehouses? :laughing: Even the office areas are in converted warehouses. :thumbup:

s/ Guy who works at one of the few Navy bases in the world that doesn't have any ships. :thumbup:

Geeze Jim... The Coast Guard is even worse as a huge portion of its operations are run from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma... It always sounded real stupid to me to be no where near water but if you look at it logistically, it is kind of central to both the east and west coasts and of course the Gulf.