Most Exciting Senior Corps, Early DCA

For me it was the 1972 Skyliners. When you here of people, places or things having "it", they did.

Also, the Cabs, Cru, Hurc, and Bucs were excellent and pretty much kicked butt that year as well,

so all the corps had picked up their game in 72.

Dick P

Wellsville Blue Devils 63-65

Interstate Cavaliers/Ambassadors 66-67

St Joes Batavia 68-70

St Joes Alumni 94-01

Ghostriders 95-00

Brigs 02-03

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know saw many of them from 1969 on, but really the only memories I have is from the albums, then tapes, and now finally cd's.

I'm going to have to say Yankee Rebels 1969, closely followed by Sky 1972

The first DCA show I ever attended was the 1991 DCA Prelims in Scranton. My memories from that show were:

10th place, the Metropolitains. Being young and naive, I couldnt imagine there would be one group betteer than they were, let alone 9!

The soloists from Minnesota Brass.

Recall the steel drums from the Westshoremen and thought it was extremely cool.

The Skyliners were awesome, never saw anyone like Butch Anderson, to that point of the evening anyway.

Hurricanes drum solo of Umulu was off the hook.

Cru's Channel One Suite was awesome.

Bushwackers percussion was impressive.

Caballeros and my first viewing of Jimmy Russo, and I was immediately hooked on the Spanish music.

Empire Statesmens Battle Hymn was an incredible moment.

And of course, the fireworks post retreat catching the woods behing Lackawanna Stadium on fire made for some tense moments.

Hurricanes drum solo of Umulu was off the hook.

THANKS!!!!

:worthy:

Sky. The music was always the best. If only they could have marched.

Interstatesmen 65. Sky always, especially '71. Hurks '69. Balto-Requiem

Edited by ereese

Thanks for the mention of both my 1972 Crusaders - awesome power... best middle voices ever... I was one of those 10 mellophones...

and

early 90's Cru corps (Channel One Suite) that was MOST gratifying and satisfying to be their Corps Director... a great group of professionals who knew how to do drum corps right both on and off the field.

My highlight corps?

'68 Brigs were a "sleeper" corps that often gets overlooked and scored VERY well... (I was on French Horn)

For a number of reasons - both good and bad (if you have all day some time I'll explain) but I would include 1975 Phoenix also... one of the most surprising corps in history...

One of the few good things about growing old is that I got to live through some great historical moments.... Seeing Scout House at its prime.... watching Brigs blow everyone's minds by breaking squad ranks and doing something other than waterfalls and follow the leader cross throughs - thank you Vinnie Ratford... seeing a hint of things to come with Jimmy McConkey as the King in Archie's King and I... Playing Black Saddle for Brad Longdo the first rehearsal Brigs learned the tune... Seeing Cabs stand tall in '65 after we (Cru) were announced as AL Champions breaking one of the great streaks in drum corps... they remained strong, respectful and honored the victors... pure class which is why they are celebrating their 65th anniversary. Standing side by side with Royal Aires in victory - I was in awe of their performance Sye Lurie and Tru Crawford were a heck of a team... Marching under Butch Anderson - a true friend for life and amazing talent... Hearing Bucs play "Get it on" by Bill Chase... wow.... doing Cru with 76 horns in 1978... (largest horn line in the history of dca) so awesome I chose to end my marching career on that... seeing Richie Price and Jim Centerino control an audience with Matadors and bring in a new era in big soloists... Judging Bushwackers at the 1986 DCA Championships... clean is good... and that win out of no where was one of the great moments in DCA history... my 4 years as director of cru from 90 to 93... what an experience.... and had my brother, my daughters, a sister law, a son in law a future son in law all in our corps... getting to work for Mickey Petrone, Gil Silva and Red Corso in trying to make things good for all corps... The first performance of the Brig Alumni which featured all 3 of the Peashey brothers on the field together for the FIRST time ever.... and playing Black Saddle again... the great Brig corps dynasties... the great Empire corps... the great Bucs corps... the traditions carry on...

Edited by TomPeashey

In no particular order

69 YR...

72 Cru, Sky, Hurcs, Cabs

75 Phoenix, Sky

76 Cabs

79-80 Bucs

81 Hurcs at DCA

86 SCA

87-88 Sunrisers

91 Empire

92-93 Bushwaxckers