2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

OK here it is in my opinion plain and simple...

This is 2011 not 1972. It is no better for Phantom to keep buys out of the Guard than it is for for the Blue Devils to keep women off the Horns or Drums. No other coed corps in the activity uses gender as a qualification for any particular section. If I am wrong on this please let me know. A drum corps is a team and all sections are the same. I was so happy when Phantom added men and cast off the old sexist notion that Guard was primarily female activity. Once again we are in 2011, notions of proper gender roles are ridiculous.

For example... Any boy at nearly any school in America can try out to be on the cheer squad even if currently there are no other boys. If he has the talent he'll make the squad or the school will be slapped with a lawsuit so fast it will make heads spin. The law recognizes this as discrimination.

The young men and women of our beloved activity should be free to march in any section of a coed corps based on talent.

I know I have raised a lot of ire among many but we have to start thinking about this in terms of today and what the current generation in the activity thinks of as general fairness.

• Like 2

But since you already said that it was neither immoral, nor illegal for PR to do this, your allegation that "it is not any better" loses any meaning.

If it is merely a design decision, which it of course was, then all of your posts have served only to state , and restate, your disagreement.

Consider your mere design disagreement with the PR staff duly noted.

This is 2011 not 1972. It is no better for Phantom to keep buys out of the Guard than it is for for the Blue Devils to keep women off the Horns or Drums. No other coed corps in the activity uses gender as a qualification for any particular section. If I am wrong on this please let me know. A drum corps is a team and all sections are the same. I was so happy when Phantom added men and cast off the old sexist notion that Guard was primarily female activity. Once again we are in 2011, notions of proper gender roles are ridiculous.

For example... Any boy at nearly any school in America can try out to be on the cheer squad even if currently there are no other boys. If he has the talent he'll make the squad or the school will be slapped with a lawsuit so fast it will make heads spin. The law recognizes this as discrimination.

The young men and women of our beloved activity should be free to march in any section of a coed corps based on talent.

I know I have raised a lot of ire among many but we have to start thinking about this in terms of today and what the current generation in the activity thinks of as general fairness.

Last I checked, the cavaliers didn't allow females in their drumline.

Plain and simple, it's their corps and they can dictate how they want the guard to be. This is 2011...you know choice? You have raised no ire sir, only shown that you are a bigot and intolerant of anyone that decides to do something you don't like. This too is OK..we live in a free society.

• Like 1

I was so happy when Phantom added men and cast off the old sexist notion that Guard was primarily female activity. Once again we are in 2011, notions of proper gender roles are ridiculous.

It's ironic that you use the word "cast", since that's exactly what Phantom Regiment did. There were casting 150 roles in a touring musical production. Of those 150 positions, about 30 (or however many they had in the guard) were gender-specific. Everything else was open to whichever genders auditioned.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that it's a good thing there's no more all girl drum corps. Oh my! There were no rules except for one; no boys allowed lol. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Thank you 2011 Phantom Regiment guard for taking a risk, moving to the music, paying a tribute to the Rockford file, expressing, connecting with the audience while always enhancing lush music with your burgandy swirl. Clever program ;-)

• Like 1

As far as guys trying out for scholastic cheer squads, or girls for the football team, that's covered by Title IX. Schools receive state and federal funding, therefore they are subject to federal and state discrimination laws.

As independent organizations, drum corps are not subject to Title IX, and can therefore pick and choose the best candidates for positions in the corps, based on need, without violating anti-discrimination laws.

So, can we freaking give this a rest?!?!?!?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor
  • Like 4