What shows have not made sense to you in dci history?

Lance

The Top 7 Most Nonsensical Shows in DCI History

1. 1985 Crossmen (yo habla WTF)

2. 1999 Renegades (Hava Nagila + Black Saddle + gold sashes made by MAV)

3. 1992 SCV Fiddler on the Roof 1.0 (CA tour)

4. 1991 SCV Miss Saigon brass charts 1.0 (really? really??)

5. 1995 SCV Not the Nutcracker 1.0 (We're playing what?)

6. Cavaliers bicycle guard uniforms

7. 1988 Blue Devils. Great corps, great show but no BLUE to be seen anywhere on the field, a technical violation of Concord Blue Devils bylaw 70642.22(f), which I just made up.

:lol:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2004 and 2006 Crown are two of my favorite shows of the decade.

I liked 06. I've hated Rent to this day since 04

The Top 7 Most Nonsensical Shows in DCI History

1. 1985 Crossmen (yo habla WTF)

2. 1999 Renegades (Hava Nagila + Black Saddle + gold sashes made by MAV)

3. 1992 SCV Fiddler on the Roof 1.0 (CA tour)

4. 1991 SCV Miss Saigon brass charts 1.0 (really? really??)

5. 1995 SCV Not the Nutcracker 1.0 (We're playing what?)

6. Cavaliers bicycle guard uniforms

7. 1988 Blue Devils. Great corps, great show but no BLUE to be seen anywhere on the field, a technical violation of Concord Blue Devils bylaw 70642.22(f), which I just made up.

Lee, does #1 include the unis as well? :lol:

I liked 06. I've hated Rent to this day since 04

We complain about lack of melodies and I LOVED '04 simply because Seasons of Love has a great melody! That whole show is melodies!

There are only a few shows I've watched that I simply couldn't follow or see the logic of. It's a frustrating experience because I know I'm missing something, but can't seem to figure it out. To be fair, they're few and far between, but there are a handful where I just can't make a connection between the theme and the music, or in the music itself.

- Santa Clara, 1995 (Not the Nutcracker) - I think the problem with the show is it kept flipping between completely Tim Burton-esque crazy and straight ahead classical, and there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to it. The drum finish hurt my head.

- (tie) Spirit, 2004 (The Architecture of Life) and Capital Regiment 2004 (A Celebration of Life) - both themes made no sense whatsoever on the field, and were so nebulous that I'm not sure what they actually could have done to make it work. In retrospect, that feels deliberate, too, which is kind of a cop out.

- Boston Crusaders 2006 (Cathedrals of the Mind) - another theme that really didn't connect with me - trying to tie what I was watching and what I was seeing with what I think I was expected to see and hear... didn't get it.

- Bluecoats 2010 (Metropolis) - I have no idea what was trying to be shown on the field - I think it's a testament to the music that I didn't really care, either. 2009 gets a mention as well (Imagine), but this past summer they managed to clear up what was going on out there, so I get it now.

That's really about it. Good odds, I think.

Mike

Drum corps is just not a good medium for literal story telling. You really do need dialog for that. I have

never been able to "get" a story from a show on first viewing unless I am already familiar with it

from another medium, movies. The best job a corps has ever done of story telling is

Spartacus, and even then, if I wasn't familiar with the story from the movie it would just look like

a bunch of Romans killing each other.

However, after multiple viewings I do appreciate having messages and themes woven into a show.

They are like puzzles to solve and keep my interest going throughout the season.

Edited by BDUFLS

Cavaliers "Machine". The title certainly fit the corps nickname and they preformed the hell out of it. I just had a hard time following it. But maybe that's just me and the "duh" factor.

Drum corps is just not a good medium for literal story telling. You really do need dialog for that. I have

never been able to "get" a story from a show on first viewing unless I am already familiar with it

from another medium, movies. The best job a corps has ever done of story telling is

Spartacus, and even then, if I wasn't familiar with the story from the movie it would just look like

a bunch of Romans killing each other.

However, after multiple viewings I do appreciate having messages and themes woven into a show.

They are like puzzles to solve and keep my interest going throughout the season.

you couldnt grasp Spartacus after one viewing? Finis? Scheherzade?