2011 DCI Tour of Champions and more

...if DCI had more fans in the past, had more corps in the past...why was that so bad? I mean DCI is a business...and if a business keeps doing all these new things, and it keeps affecting the bottom line in bad ways....is that smart?

Neither the programming nor the rules of the 70s, 80s and 90s were enough to keep fans in seats and corps in business. The fact is the major migration away from drum corps happened BEFORE the major rules changes of this decade. If anything, change had to be the smart move. The 70s-90s template was bleeding the activity to death.

HH

Part of doing 8 shows a year I imagine, is to see which locations and times around the US give the TOC the highest attendance.

Rockford, Il

Fort Worth, TX

Houston, TX

Austin, TX

Omaha, NE

Murfreesboro, TN

Charlotte, NC

Piscataway, NJ

So tell me, oh wise one, which one of these ToC shows would bring in new fans or a higher attendance? They are all, except maybe Omaha, in areas that already have an established fan base. And why 3 ToC shows in TX? If they want to bring in new fans, why not spread the wealth to other parts of the country? The NW is just dying for drum corps yet, except for a few shows every year with a few corps, they get nothing. And except this year and 2007, the same can be said for the west coast.

Can you also please explain to me why they replaced the 4 shows in the DFW area and Houston with 2 ToC shows? Now, instead of 2 nights featuring ALL the WC corps, it's down to one night featuring the Elite 8! 4 of which I could really give a rip about seeing. Too bad I'll miss Academy, Colts, Madison, BK, Troopers and PC. I have no other option if I want to go to a show. The nearest one to me is now 3.5 hours away. I neither have the time nor finances to make that kind of trip anymore.

Explain to me how that is helping or am I one of the "crazy ones"?

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

Neither the programming nor the rules of the 70s, 80s and 90s were enough to keep fans in seats and corps in business. The fact is the major migration away from drum corps happened BEFORE the major rules changes of this decade. If anything, change had to be the smart move. The 70s-90s template was bleeding the activity to death.

HH

Gee, ya mean the increased costs that killed a lot of corps (both Jr and Sr) and local shows had nothing to do with it? Sorry but I was around during 70s/early 80s and know it was a LOT more than show programming. Early 90s had fans grumbling big time about "music being played for music majors" but lack of corps and shows nearby killed local interest (multipled few hundred times across the country).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Gee, ya mean the increased costs that killed a lot of corps (both Jr and Sr) and local shows had nothing to do with it?...

We agree. Costs were among the many reasons corps died. It is also true that the programming and rules that prevailed didn't bring in the revenue to right the economic balance.

Some (not you) have contended that the current slate of rules and programming choices are to blame for declining ticket sales and corps numbers. If we choose to accept that rules/programming are the culprit in this generation, then we can only accept as well its culpability in previous generations too. And as it happened, those declines were far deeper.

HH

I knew it would come to this: We Jews getting blamed for TOC!

Kidding, of course!

HH

:spitting:

shields were not deployed in time captain!

HH

yet...the guys who created the system in place for the last 15-20 years are now saying it's broken...but they made the changes. so who's to blame?

Rockford, Il

Fort Worth, TX

Houston, TX

Austin, TX

Omaha, NE

Murfreesboro, TN

Charlotte, NC

Piscataway, NJ

So tell me, oh wise one, which one of these ToC shows would bring in new fans or a higher attendance? They are all, except maybe Omaha, in areas that already have an established fan base. And why 3 ToC shows in TX? If they want to bring in new fans, why not spread the wealth to other parts of the country? The NW is just dying for drum corps yet, except for a few shows every year with a few corps, they get nothing. And except this year and 2007, the same can be said for the west coast.

Can you also please explain to me why they replaced the 4 shows in the DFW area and Houston with 2 ToC shows? Now, instead of 2 nights featuring ALL the WC corps, it's down to one night featuring the Elite 8? 4 of which I could really give a rip about seeing. Too bad I'll miss Academy, Colts, Madison, BK, Troopers and PC. I have no other option if I want to go to a show. The nearest one to me is now 3.5 hours away. I neither have the time nor finances to make that kind of trip anymore.

because all that matter is "the act" not "the filler"

Rockford, Il

Fort Worth, TX

Houston, TX

Austin, TX

Omaha, NE

Murfreesboro, TN

Charlotte, NC

Piscataway, NJ

Can you also please explain to me why they replaced the 4 shows in the DFW area and Houston with 2 ToC shows? Now, instead of 2 nights featuring ALL the WC corps, it's down to one night featuring the Elite 8? 4 of which I could really give a rip about seeing. Too bad I'll miss Academy, Colts, Madison, BK, Troopers and PC. I have no other option if I want to go to a show. The nearest one to me is now 3.5 hours away. I neither have the time nor finances to make that kind of trip anymore.

I must be one of the crazy ones to. I liked the big shows with all the Corps.

So what. Judging something that doesn't exist, on assumed points, is absurd. It would be like not going to shows now because you disagree with the inclusion of woodwinds in DCI, and there is the potential that they'll be proposed in the future because they've been proposed already.

IF at some point in the future a G-7 or 8 proposal is made and passed that is similar to the original proposal, I'll be first in line to cry foul. But boycotting the current TOC because of what MIGHT happen in the future is JUST. PLAIN. STUPID.

that's fine... IMO not taking every step that is available to me, as an individual (I realize this is very limited), to encourage the G8 to stop trying to ruin DCI (something they already tried to do), is also JUST PLAIN STUPID.