Incentives for corps experience

FTNK

Now, can someone tell me why this isn't as distasteful as it seems? Why are they blatantly targeting other corps' auditionees....and why is that OK?

Oh dear... now you really had to go there? Really? You've opened quite the can of worms...

And why is that NOT okay? How is that distastefull in ANY way?! Kids have minds and they get to decide what corps to audtion for and whether or not they would like to march cadets. Yes, this does blatantly "target" other corps' auditionees but that's their demographic!!!! That's what every corps tries to appeal to!!!! They don't want people who have never done drum corps... they want people who have experience!! (just like any other recruiting organization). This is letting people know that the CADETS are "looking" for new people. Thats it. And in a capitalist society money speaks louder than saying "hey, you can come still audition for the cadets."

Your comment is very troubling to me and makes me go... :thumbup:

Compensating them to attend may not be morally or ethically the right thing to do, but it is not against any rules I know, so if you can wake up and look in the mirror and live with what you see, have at it......

They are not "compensating them to attend". They are offering an incentive to attend and there is nothing wrong with that (morally or ethically)

Makes no sense to me. Anyone who would let a difference of 25.00 sway where they want to march is an idiot.

LOL. Maybe they should just offer NO cut in the registration fee. That way college kids can fork up the maximum amount of money to go to an audition camp. (Can I remind you that it's an audition camp? Not a case-closed contract agreement?)

And again, the marketing stratagy here is to get people informed about the cadets. And Bam... look its working... right here in this thread. The cadets are still "looking" and the $25.00 is more a statement about how "badly" they want people to come and less a statement about kids saving money when they pay for audition camps. If I'm gonna audition for a corps I'd like to save to money too!

No one is gonna say, "Look! The Cadets are offering me 25 bucks! I definetly want to march there". They look at it a read... "Oh, I didn't think I could audition for the cadets after the November Camp and it looks like they 'might' be desperate for some good talent and experienced members..."

The related 25$ only indirectly influences the auditionee.

For goodness gracious, God almight, There is nothing wrong with this incentive program. Nothing.

Edited by charlie1223

It is a $25 discount off the registration fee (normally $150). It reduces the cost of auditioning.

Now, can someone tell me why this isn't as distasteful as it seems? Why are they blatantly targeting other corps' auditionees....and why is that OK?

I thought that too, but I wanted to see what others said first...because then I could be a Cadets hater too :thumbup:

Like we've said before, the top corps feed off of kids that got their feet wet elsewhere. I mean I know they tout 91 rookies last year, but many of them were rookies to the cadets, not drum corps

Not a single word of that is true! Reread the ad again and try to understand it CORRECTLY.

Thank you for chiming in.... It's so tiring to hear people just constantly bag on the Cadets, for every little thing they do. That organization has done so much good for the activity, for kids, future teachers and leaders.

I was involved with the Buccaneers last year and I look at that staff, 5 staff members were former members of the Cadets. So many great people go through that corps, then come out and become great designers, fantastic techs and all around positive influences for the activity. And I'm sure that's the case with plenty of corps but if Crown was offering the same incentive everyone would be ranting and raving about how much they love Crown and how they think this is a great idea and blah blah blah.... Seriously people stop trying to create controversy over 25 dollars.

With all the negativity you guys bring you could be stopping the next Jeff Sacktig or Tom Aungst or April Gilligan or Emma Roberts or cast member of Blast or band director at BOA national championship band from marching the Cadets because they can't afford to travel to any other corps. But these kids are not going to want to march there because of the negativity that people are always trying to bring down on that corps and as a result may never march anywhere.

With the state of Music Education in this country and with musicians and teachers constantly trying to advance the arts for fear of losing them, can we for one second stop worrying about how you think the Cadets are ruining the activity with a $25 discount?

See the bigger picture. Let kids have the opportunity and let corps try to give that opportunity to them any way they can.

I thought that too, but I wanted to see what others said first...because then I could be a Cadets hater too :thumbup:

Like we've said before, the top corps feed off of kids that got their feet wet elsewhere. I mean I know they tout 91 rookies last year, but many of them were rookies to the cadets, not drum corps

I think Cadets would have been better off not providing ANY type of discount so many of you people could shut up.

:thumbup: ... but the fact you quoted Jeff doesn't mean you're referring to him, right? Edited by GGarrett

Curious, how much does standard tuition cost for the summer look like for a cadets member?