Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

so far... I don't think so. I like the use of amplification and synthesizers and samples in drum corps. (When used correctly and appropriately of course!)

Yes, the few times it actually works is like winning the lotto.

• Like 2

I wish I could hit the + sign about a dozen times for this post.

I hit the + on his post AND your post to show my support. :bigsmile:

I just haven't figured our where George is gonna get his water in on the field.

I take the meaning of "woodwinds are coming" and "the next big wall is woodwind instruments" to have two very different meanings.

So one big wall was synths; another was amps; another was Bb and F instruments.....gee I wonder what he meant.

lol

so you stopped reading and copy/pasted something... would you say that your copy/paste job is the sort of thing where if repeated enough, people start to believe it is true?

Fortunately, since the link was provided just above my response, others kept reading, so what I pasted in my belief that I had found the non-smoking gun was easily corrected. One of the great things about DCP is in a case like this, someone will catch something that someone else perhaps hadn't seen. I get to educate others and others get to educate me. That's one reason I love DCP and the people who post on it.

I take the meaning of "woodwinds are coming" and "the next big wall is woodwind instruments" to have two very different meanings.

I'm wondering the same thing. Does he mean it's an insurmountable wall that will not be scaled or a wall that is going to fall over, allowing the woodwind invaders on the other side to walk right in?

Normally I would be one to contact said person to ask for a clarification, but I'm feeling generous today. :rolleyes: Has anyone contacted George to ask what he meant of (gasp) if he was misquoted? (I know misquoting a subject has never happened in the media before, but hey, there's always a first time.) George has always seemed willing to engage in dialogue and clarify what's he's said or written.

At the same time I think George was inferring the woodwinds are a wall in which to overcome that will involve a lot of discussion is different than him say that woodwinds are "definitely" coming and its only a matter of time.

First, the unimportant point: what Hopkins was (or wasn't doing) was "implying", not "inferring". When I say something suggestive, I'm implying a further unstated meaning. When you read my suggestive statement a particular way, you're inferring an unstated meaning from it.

Second, and more significantly: Michael Boo quoted from the CNN article to suggest that soccerguy was misrepresenting Hopkins's statements as follows: (1) Hopkins never said in the article that the addition of woodwinds would be, as soccerguy described it, "his way"; and (2) Hopkins never said in the article that woodwinds, as soccerguy claimed, "are coming" -- if Hopkins gets "his way".

Because Michael didn't read far enough into the article, he didn't realize that soccerguy described Hopkins's statement with fair accuracy. Here's the quote again:

"What people don't get about me is I love it the way it is, I really do," Hopkins said. "But it's not going to survive if we don't let other people in -- the next big wall is woodwind instruments."

I think no one here would claim that Hopkins does not want drum corps to survive (setting aside the question of whether his desired outcome would still be what people could call "drum corps"). Therefore when he says it will only survive by allowing "other people in", he should be understood to mean that he wants those "other people" to become part of the activity. When he immediately follows that statement with a reference to woodwind instruments, what can he mean but that those "other people", whose participation he desires, will play woodwind instruments?

And so, if he gets "his way" (i.e., the way he feels will save drum corps), those woodwinds "are coming" (i.e., will be part of the activity).

The question remains: why does he think drum corps needs woodwinds to survive?

Unless, of course, he doesn't -- if, as Michael has mused (while I was typing this post), Hopkins was misquoted.

But we have to work with the facts at hand.

I think he means that people who love brass and percussion isn't enough to sustain drum corps and that you need people who love woodwinds too to sustain drum corps...

But I happen to disagree... I don't think we need "marching woodwinds" to sustain the activity from a monetary and audience member stand point.

Holy effin ####, we agree on something.