Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

But, as of late, you seemed determined to view drum corps (yeah... I'm gonna say it...) through a glass, darkly.

The reason I'm giving you a hard time on this is because, even though we agree on extremely little, there is not one part of me that doubts your passion for this activity. And yet... your first post in the Cadet video thread (your proclaimed favorite corps) mentioned nothing positive, instead casually throwing out the "thunderous goo" that you later start a poll about. You start a thread about how "concert sound" is bad, and numerous threads alluding to how the good 'ole days were so much better (G bugels, no synths, etc.)

How can someone so IN to drum corps find it so hard to be positive about it?

... Are things really that bad?

I'm so with you in this thinking - and not just as regards the OP here. I fear, however, any meaningful answer to the question will require the services of some experienced therapists. I'll chip in. Who's got a couch?

HH

Dislaimer: No one is or was accused of being a psycho and no animals were harmed in the typing of this post. All rights are reserved, however, in the event some psycho blows this out of proportion and accuses me of any malevolent purpose. I'm not paranoid. And you have been warned.

With the risk of being given a negative, I agree with these two posters. I mean those that criticize drum corps the most for it not being something else, it is wonder why they still love the activity. Or maybe they just wished they love it for what it is as much as other people do. Bottom line is it doesn't hurt anyone to think positively and be optimistic about modern drum corps. Find things to love instead of criticize.... and if you find that difficult... there is always something else to watch....

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

With the risk of being given a negative, I agree with these two posters. I mean those that criticize drum corps the most for it not being something else, it is wonder why they still love the activity. Or maybe you just wished you love it for what it is as much as other people do. Bottom line is it doesn't hurt anyone to think positively and be optimistic about modern drum corps. Find things to love instead of criticize.... and if you find that difficult... there is always something else to watch....

I would ask everyone here..what good is a discussion forum if everyone agreed with everything, everybody said? If you didn't have ANYONE that provided an alternate view..what would be the point of this place other then to come here and stroke each others egos? If your side of a debate is so weak as to discourage others from posting because of your conflicting view..what does that say? I would simply say, "That at the point everyone is nodding their heads in agreement..someone isn't thinking." BTW I THINK that was paraphrased from Patton.

• Like 4

I would ask everyone here..what good is a discussion forum if everyone agreed with everything, everybody said? If you didn't have ANYONE that provided an alternate view..what would be the point of this place other then to come here and stroke each others egos? If your side of a debate is so weak as to discourage others from posting because of your conflicting view..what does that say? I would simply say, "That at the point everyone is nodding their heads in agreement..someone isn't thinking." BTW I THINK that was paraphrased from Patton.

I agree with you 100,000%. But I'm not trying to discourage anyone from posting. I don't think anyone here is.

I'm just wondering why it seems as though some people revel in the negative. We all joined this forum because we love drum corps. And yes, everyone on here has their own things about the activity that we don't like, things we'd like to see improved, things we'd like to see go away. I'm not going to pretend it's all sunshine, rainbows, and fluffy bunny rabbits. But when something as simple as a corps posting a camp video from the off-season (a time we're all just about dying for ANYTHING to ease our appetites), brings folks to jump on it for whatever reason or make snide, off-handed remarks...

... really?

I'm serious when I ask this: Is the current state of the activity that bad as to make some individuals come off so jaded??

• Like 1

I agree with you 100,000%. But I'm not trying to discourage anyone from posting. I don't think anyone here is.

I'm just wondering why it seems as though some people revel in the negative. We all joined this forum because we love drum corps. And yes, everyone on here has their own things about the activity that we don't like, things we'd like to see improved, things we'd like to see go away. I'm not going to pretend it's all sunshine, rainbows, and fluffy bunny rabbits. But when something as simple as a corps posting a camp video from the off-season (a time we're all just about dying for ANYTHING to ease our appetites), brings folks to jump on it for whatever reason or make snide, off-handed remarks...

... really?

I'm serious when I ask this: Is the current state of the activity that bad as to make some individuals come off so jaded??

Good post! I would go back and actually READ what these posters posted. How in the world can you NOT come off negative (or perceived as) if you think amps are going to be no better or worse? The poll shows, 50/50 so far but I see WAY more positive outlooks that anything negative and I would think, if people were not afraid of being branded, they may actually contribute to the discussion rather than shy away.

Good post! I would go back and actually READ what these posters posted. How in the world can you NOT come off negative (or perceived as) if you think amps are going to be no better or worse? The poll shows, 50/50 so far but I see WAY more positive outlooks that anything negative and I would think, if people were not afraid of being branded, they may actually contribute to the discussion rather than shy away.

Again, agreed.

But I'm referring more to an overall attitude than to this specific thread. I know amps/electronics are a hot button issue. And I'm no fan of the goo either. (Actually almost blew out the speakers in my car when I first played the APDs from semis because I had it cranked...) So, I get that people (myself included) will need to spout off and vent from time to time. I'll even allow that some will more than others. And I am aware that there are very devoted people on here with very valid concerns/gripes about some very serious issues facing drum corps.

But do they need to be brought up in every thread? (Yeah, I may be a bit dramatic in that assertion, but I don't think by a whole lot.)

It's one thing to discuss the opposing view point, and its another to be flat out negative and condescending. You, and any other poster here, should be able to tell the difference.

Edited by charlie1223

Today's shows are the best there have ever been. What are you talking about?

I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to hold an opinion different from yours.

• Like 5

Again, agreed.

But I'm referring more to an overall attitude than to this specific thread. I know amps/electronics are a hot button issue. And I'm no fan of the goo either. (Actually almost blew out the speakers in my car when I first played the APDs from semis because I had it cranked...) So, I get that people (myself included) will need to spout off and vent from time to time. I'll even allow that some will more than others. And I am aware that there are very devoted people on here with very valid concerns/gripes about some very serious issues facing drum corps.

But do they need to be brought up in every thread? (Yeah, I may be a bit dramatic in that assertion, but I don't think by a whole lot.)

Yes... because is it honestly necessary to post "no goo, please." in a thread about a drum corps' winter preview? ...my gut says no...

With the risk of being given a negative, I agree with these two posters. I mean those that criticize drum corps the most for it not being something else, it is wonder why they still love the activity. Or maybe they just wished they love it for what it is as much as other people do. Bottom line is it doesn't hurt anyone to think positively and be optimistic about modern drum corps. Find things to love instead of criticize.... and if you find that difficult... there is always something else to watch....

well, they feel some uniqueness has been lost. I see their side and sympathize in many ways, tho I'm not nearly as bad as some.

Every year it seems to get a little closer to something that already exists, and that saddens fans

• Like 1