Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

That's fine. But I don't think you (and others) are answering the question. Or at least not addressing the spirit it's trying to evoke. Maybe this will help. Anyone can chime in.

Which of these is most true:

1. When I go to drum corps shows, I find plenty to enjoy in the marching, music, brass, drums, guard, etc., sufficient to offset any negative impact I may or may not perceive from electronics and other recent changes to the drum corps sound and style.
  2. When I go to drum corps shows, electronics and other recent changes to the drum corps sound and style prevent me from enjoying the marching, music, brass, drums, guard, etc., on the field.
  3. I don't go to drum corps shows any more.

ONCE YOU PICK which is MOST TRUE, then feel free to elaborate.

HH

I don't understand what you are getting at. Regardless of what one picks, what does this have to do with the OP and poll? All three can still listen to drum corps in some way whether it be live or not. Besides, this would not be an issue if the majority of the corps out there were doing an excellent job of it. Can we agree on that?

That's fine. But I don't think you (and others) are answering the question. Or at least not addressing the spirit it's trying to evoke. Maybe this will help. Anyone can chime in.

Which of these is most true:

1. When I go to drum corps shows, I find plenty to enjoy in the marching, music, brass, drums, guard, etc., sufficient to offset any negative impact I may or may not perceive from electronics and other recent changes to the drum corps sound and style.
  2. When I go to drum corps shows, electronics and other recent changes to the drum corps sound and style prevent me from enjoying the marching, music, brass, drums, guard, etc., on the field.
  3. I don't go to drum corps shows any more.

ONCE YOU PICK which is MOST TRUE, then feel free to elaborate.

HH

The first one.

• Like 2

I hear this point of view expressed a lot here but don't understand it. Someone help me out. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with drum corps and band becoming more alike in the abstract? Say for instance in the 70s and 80s, high school bands succeeded in emulating drum corps more profoudly, would we be complaining about that? Or is it just electronics in the 21st Century that's at issue?

HH

Yes...in the most basic of ways. At the point you do not have a product that you can present that is different from marching band (ie. that even Joe Six Pack can hear and/or see the difference plainly)..Houston we have a problem. This is like marketing/sales 101.

I don't understand what you are getting at. Regardless of what one picks, what does this have to do with the OP and poll? All three can still listen to drum corps in some way whether it be live or not. Besides, this would not be an issue if the majority of the corps out there were doing an excellent job of it. Can we agree on that?

It wasn't about the OP question for which there already is a poll in this thread. It was following up on the secondary question about pervasive negativity.

And yes, I can agree that excellence solves problem. I doubt, however, that you and I will find that all on DCP are as easily satisfied.

HH

• Like 1

Last season I couldn't help but notice that low-end synth fundamentally alters the way drum corps are starting to sound as an ensemble. Do you think as time goes on the balance issues will be solved? Judging from the progression from 2009 to 2010, I'm not too optimistic.

Well, it's certainly a problem. But I would say that to fix a problem, you must first have a means to do so. And that would lie in the judging.

Have they spelled out HOW they are judging this component of the show? As with the human voice and amplification, it has yet to be defined exactly where on the sheets they include this part of the show.

One would assume that, once the caption area is identified, then it could be quantified in the same manner as the rest of the show elements.

But, to me at least, it's not clear where exactly they allot the credit/demerit consideration for these elements.

Comments??

AJMHO

:-)

• Like 1

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with drum corps and band becoming more alike in the abstract?

I don't like band. But I only speak for myself.

Would there be anything fundamentally wrong with baseball and football becoming more alike in the abstract?

• Like 1

Yes...in the most basic of ways. At the point you do not have a product that you can present that is different from marching band (ie. that even Joe Six Pack can hear and/or see the difference plainly)..Houston we have a problem. This is like marketing/sales 101.

Many of the world's most successful products are virtually indistinguishable in the fundamentals of the product. Coke and Pepsi are distringuished primarily by their marketing. Mercedes vs. BMW. McDonalds' vs. Burger King vs. Wendy's. Or going back to the heyday of drum corps - NFL vs. AFL.

We might have an opinion on the quality of or preference for one or the other. I mean, who in his right mind wouldn't think McDonald's fries are best? But all three sell hamburgers and fries the way drum corps and band sell music and marching. And there's not a thing in the world wrong with it. Nor is there anything wrong with us liking drum corps more than substantially similar marching band, particularly when we think one is more excellent than the other.

HH - might be having McDonald's for lunch

It wasn't about the OP question for which there already is a poll in this thread. It was following up on the secondary question about pervasive negativity.

And yes, I can agree that excellence solves problem. I doubt, however, that you and I will find that all on DCP are as easily satisfied.

HH

Easily satisfied would be not becoming deaf from finger cymbals or not being able to hear 20 tubas because the synth is over powering them. Not asking a lot...but asking for them to be used (if they are tastefully) and if not deducted. I would caveat..IMHO corps that do NOT use them should be getting higher scores because they choose not to press the easy button.... :satisfied:

Many of the world's most successful products are virtually indistinguishable in the fundamentals of the product. Coke and Pepsi are distringuished primarily by their marketing. Mercedes vs. BMW. McDonalds' vs. Burger King vs. Wendy's. Or going back to the heyday of drum corps - NFL vs. AFL.

We might have an opinion on the quality of or preference for one or the other. I mean, who in his right mind wouldn't think McDonald's fries are best? But all three sell hamburgers and fries the way drum corps and band sell music and marching. And there's not a thing in the world wrong with it. Nor is there anything wrong with us liking drum corps more than substantially similar marching band, particularly when we think one is more excellent than the other.

HH - might be having McDonald's for lunch

Wow, off the top of my head: McDonalds- Big Mac; Burger King Flame Broiled Whopper; Wendy's square patty single VERY different. Coke and Pepsi taste WAY different. NFL vs AFL would be like DCM vs DCW.

Used to be a large sound difference..those days are gone from DCI.

McDonalds...ugh... :satisfied:

Are we talking about using amplified low end in general, or the mix of the amplified low end? I don't think it's going away, but I do think the mix/balance will improve. I can't imagine that staffs would listen to the APDs from this past year in Indy and say, "Yeah... that sounds good. Let's keep doing that."

I agree that judges need to get involved, but I don't think corps are going to purposefully go super gooey for the sake of going super gooey and #####ing judges out for docking them.

I'm on optimist in that I feel most of the corps out there want to sound good.

I know for a fact that there is at least one staff that thinks just that. Though I can't imagine more than maybe two or three corps thinking that their electronics sounded good... yikes.

Easily satisfied would be not becoming deaf from finger cymbals or not being able to hear 20 tubas because the synth is over powering them. Not asking a lot...but asking for them to be used (if they are tastefully) and if not deducted. I would caveat..IMHO corps that do NOT use them should be getting higher scores because they choose not to press the easy button.... :satisfied:

I think corps who perform better should get higher scores. I don't think instrumentation alone [as long as it's legal] should change scores. At all. Ever.