Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

Today's shows are the best there have ever been. What are you talking about?

not according to the survey DCI just received.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to hold an opinion different from yours.

So Hroth. What in the one year span from 09 to 10 leads you to believe that the coming years will not bring an improvement in the "goo".

• Like 1

So Hroth. What in the one year span from 09 to 10 leads you to believe that the coming years will not bring an improvement in the "goo".

not hroth, but I didn't notice that much of an improvement in one year.

not hroth, but I didn't notice that much of an improvement in one year.

Fair enough. What makes you think that it's not going to improve over the coming years?

I voted that it will get better because:

1) staff will now be in control of the mixing/volume of electronic equipment, so there should now be more responsibility to fix things. The excuse that the people on the field who were controlling the electronic equipment did not know how things sounded in the stands will now be gone.

2) many people will stop paying /decrease spending for these events and recordings if it doesn't stop ASAP - especially given #1 above and the new entertainment committee headed up by Mr. Cesario that should help improve this (by reducing the goo. I would prefer the elimination of it, but I doubt that will happen across all corps or by rule change.)

3) there will be some brave corps that elect not to use the goo that will receive exceptional support (financial, applause, etc.) for choosing to abandon the goo. Will this start a trend?

4) there are probably other items to support the belief/wish that things will get better. I want to believe that things will. We shall see........

Fair enough. What makes you think that it's not going to improve over the coming years?

because if the judges let it slide, the corps will keep doing it. A&E is the big ogre in the room, everyone's afraid to take a stand on it. Imagine.....BD is all super gooey. You call em on it and hit em on the sheet. Then Scojo and Wayne come in and rip you a new one and file a grievance.

think you'll be judging much longer??

so everyone tip toes around it.

not according to the survey DCI just received.

Surveys can be great or mean nothing at all...only as good as the ones filling them out.

I've been involved in political surverys alot and it usually wasn't very accurate and for sure only told a small part of the story. Oh well, it gets some people heard I suppose. :smile:

• Like 1

because if the judges let it slide, the corps will keep doing it. A&E is the big ogre in the room, everyone's afraid to take a stand on it. Imagine.....BD is all super gooey. You call em on it and hit em on the sheet. Then Scojo and Wayne come in and rip you a new one and file a grievance.

think you'll be judging much longer??

so everyone tip toes around it.

Are we talking about using amplified low end in general, or the mix of the amplified low end? I don't think it's going away, but I do think the mix/balance will improve. I can't imagine that staffs would listen to the APDs from this past year in Indy and say, "Yeah... that sounds good. Let's keep doing that."

I agree that judges need to get involved, but I don't think corps are going to purposefully go super gooey for the sake of going super gooey and #####ing judges out for docking them.

I'm on optimist in that I feel most of the corps out there want to sound good.

• Like 2

It might have been purely situational, but at each show I attended last summer I noticed more egregious uses of it than the previous show. Just this cheesy, artificial rumble that by design can in no way blend with a brass and percussion ensemble. When synths were announced I had no idea every corps would jump on the bandwagon with the goo...has this been a mainstay in the band world? I don't understand the purpose. The sound is absolutely dreadful.

• Like 2