Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

I hear this point of view expressed a lot here but don't understand it. Someone help me out. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with drum corps and band becoming more alike in the abstract? Say for instance in the 70s and 80s, high school bands succeeded in emulating drum corps more profoudly, would we be complaining about that? Or is it just electronics in the 21st Century that's at issue?

HH

It's not marching bands becoming more like drum corps that is the problem. The other way around? Yea, that's the problem.

I was in those '70 H.S. bands trying to emulate drum corps and, No, it wasn't a problem.

• Like 1

It's not marching bands becoming more like drum corps that is the problem. The other way around? Yea, that's the problem.

I was in those '70 H.S. bands trying to emulate drum corps and, No, it wasn't a problem.

/agree

Marching band has a revolving door of fans. They can change whatever they want, and as long as they have kids marching, parents will go watch.

Drum corps? not so much...

Can we hold that thought? If 70s bands emulating drum corps to some degree of success wasn't a problem, can we extrapolate therefore that band and drum corps converging in the 70s wasn't a problem of itself? And if that's the case, the problem isn't the convergence of drum corps and band? The problem in fact has nothing to do with band and everything to do with the changes in drum corps? Is the electronics, not the band we're complaining about?

HH

• Like 1

Can we hold that thought? If 70s bands emulating drum corps to some degree of success wasn't a problem, can we extrapolate therefore that band and drum corps converging in the 70s wasn't a problem of itself? And if that's the case, the problem isn't the convergence of drum corps and band? The problem in fact has nothing to do with band and everything to do with the changes in drum corps? Is the electronics, not the band we're complaining about?

HH

Band emulating drum corps isn't a problem...drum corps emulating band is. In the 70's, marching band was changing to be more like drum corps. Drum corps wasn't changing to become more like marching band. Marching band was decidedly "inferior" in the 70's, so in no way did drum corps want or need to emulate marching band.

Today, the gap in talent is much smaller, but drum corps is still superior. Why on earth would you want to emulate something that's still "inferior"?

Electronics is just the current problem to argue about. 10 years ago, it was G/Bb. Lately, it's been electronics. In a few years, it will be woodwinds. Each element is bringing drum corps down to marching bands level. Yes...bringing it down.

Edited by skewerz

Im sorry, as a tuba player myself, the use of low end amplification just erks me. Im not saying that the low end goo sounds bad because it doesnt, it better sound good if its a fake computer noise. Why cant corps just work on building their tuba line instead? And do we really need to be amplifying are front ensembles? You could hear them just fine befor. Sorry I had to vent, i feel better now :blink:

Band emulating drum corps isn't a problem...drum corps emulating band is. In the 70's, marching band was changing to be more like drum corps. Drum corps wasn't changing to become more like marching band. Marching band was decidedly "inferior" in the 70's, so in now way did drum corps want or need to emulate marching band.

Today, the gap in talent is much smaller, but drum corps is still superior. Why on earth would you want to emulate something that's still "inferior"?

Electronics is just the current problem to argue about. 10 years ago, it was G/Bb. Lately, it's been electronics. In a few years, it will be woodwinds. Each element is bringing drum corps down to marching bands level. Yes...bringing it down.

yep. all of this

Im sorry, as a tuba player myself, the use of low end amplification just erks me. Im not saying that the low end goo sounds bad because it doesnt, it better sound good if its a fake computer noise. Why cant corps just work on building their tuba line instead? And do we really need to be amplifying are front ensembles? You could hear them just fine befor. Sorry I had to vent, i feel better now :blink:

this is where synths are the easy button. Lets say a corps has 30 trumpets, but only 6 tubas. This corps will most likely be top heavy and might receive less points in GE brass. A synth can cover up this imbalance.

To me, that's just plain cheating.

• Like 1

this is where synths are the easy button. Lets say a corps has 30 trumpets, but only 6 tubas. This corps will most likely be top heavy and might receive less points in GE brass. A synth can cover up this imbalance.

To me, that's just plain cheating.

I concur with your statement wholeheardtedly sir.

I probably will never understand the need for the use of low-end synth by a DCI corps.

The sizes of the top corps' brass lines have increased (on average) since the 150 rule was approved... so why, with a brass section of 70-plus players, does a corps feel the need to add that low-end "extra"?

I am generally pro-electronics and always have been.... but the synth stuff, I don't get.