Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

I think it almost has to improve, because, frankly, it can't get a whole lot worse... :shutup:

It might have been purely situational, but at each show I attended last summer I noticed more egregious uses of it than the previous show. Just this cheesy, artificial rumble that by design can in no way blend with a brass and percussion ensemble. When synths were announced I had no idea every corps would jump on the bandwagon with the goo...has this been a mainstay in the band world? I don't understand the purpose. The sound is absolutely dreadful.

So by your definition, since it can in no way blend, it will never improve.

So it's not really a matter of blend or mix for you. Just a matter of taste. Any synth is bad synth and has no room to improve whatsoever.

• Like 1

So it's not really a matter of blend or mix for you. Just a matter of taste. Any synth is bad synth and has no room to improve whatsoever.

I am not ashamed to say yes, I hold that opinion. The reason I hold that opinion is that I think that drumcorps at its best is a purely acoustic medium, and that synth detracts from corps great acoustic nature. So no, I do not believe that it is possible that I would ever enjoy a synthesizer or electronic sound or amplification of any kind in drumcorps. I haven't yet, and I don't think that I ever will. Apparently most people disagree with me, but I am not ashamed to say that I still hold that opinion anyways.

Today's shows are the best there have ever been. What are you talking about?

Maybe the quality of performance and the quality of the performers are the best there have ever been.

Also, the technicality and quality of instruction is top notch today!

...but the shows themselves are more often a disjointed mess...

It's about the delivery, not the performers or quality of instruction.

YMMV.

• Like 1

Fair enough. What makes you think that it's not going to improve over the coming years?

Well, the overpowering amps haven't improved in the last several years. Based on that past history, what would make one feel that the goo would improve?

It's a similar sort of thing, afterall... smile.gif

It's one thing to discuss the opposing view point, and its another to be flat out negative and condescending. You, and any other poster here, should be able to tell the difference.

I went back and read what was posted and where precisely can a poster post something that contradicts the "pro-synth/amp" that doesn't come off as negative? Quite honestly, just reading what is posted here I cannot fathom the hostility being shown here because someone doesn't like the goo. What the poll does show (so far) however, are that there appears to be more optimists than realists going on recent history.

I am not ashamed to say yes, I hold that opinion. The reason I hold that opinion is that I think that drumcorps at its best is a purely acoustic medium, and that synth detracts from corps great acoustic nature. So no, I do not believe that it is possible that I would ever enjoy a synthesizer or electronic sound or amplification of any kind in drumcorps. I haven't yet, and I don't think that I ever will. Apparently most people disagree with me, but I am not ashamed to say that I still hold that opinion anyways.

And it's totally fine if you hold that opinion.

I think many of us all have our own idea of the perfect utopia that drum corps should exist in. I can't say that I love what the synths have brought to the table, but I think that over the years, it will be become more balanced.

• Like 2

It might have been purely situational, but at each show I attended last summer I noticed more egregious uses of it than the previous show. Just this cheesy, artificial rumble that by design can in no way blend with a brass and percussion ensemble. When synths were announced I had no idea every corps would jump on the bandwagon with the goo...has this been a mainstay in the band world? I don't understand the purpose. The sound is absolutely dreadful.

That's fine. But I don't think you (and others) are answering the question. Or at least not addressing the spirit it's trying to evoke. Maybe this will help. Anyone can chime in.

Which of these is most true:

1. When I go to drum corps shows, I find plenty to enjoy in the marching, music, brass, drums, guard, etc., sufficient to offset any negative impact I may or may not perceive from electronics and other recent changes to the drum corps sound and style.
  2. When I go to drum corps shows, electronics and other recent changes to the drum corps sound and style prevent me from enjoying the marching, music, brass, drums, guard, etc., on the field.
  3. I don't go to drum corps shows any more.

ONCE YOU PICK which is MOST TRUE, then feel free to elaborate.

HH

• Like 2

...Every year it seems to get a little closer to something that already exists, and that saddens fans

I hear this point of view expressed a lot here but don't understand it. Someone help me out. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with drum corps and band becoming more alike in the abstract? Say for instance in the 70s and 80s, high school bands succeeded in emulating drum corps more profoudly, would we be complaining about that? Or is it just electronics in the 21st Century that's at issue?

HH