Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

Ten pages in and the poll suggest nearly as many people aren't worried about this going forward as are. If I'm Acheson or Cesario reading this, I might not rate this "goo" much of a priority.

That projection happens to coincide with my personal view, which is this isn't much of a problem. I saw nine shows live last year and wasn't overly concerned at any of them. Maybe my hearing isn't tuned to that frequency. I don't know. I do know I can pick out most voices in most ensembles with ease.

Could it be this is more an issue with recordings than it is live? I'm asking.

HH

It could be that those who say it won't be a problem realize that the directors will get the message that the sound sucks and dial them back, not that synths are OK as they are now.

And the recordings aren't as bad as live because the engineers can dial it back before it's laid down and shipped.

Easy to hear on the last two sets of recordings that the reverb was cut down considerably.

Oh, and as you age, normal ears lose the high frequencies (such as speech), not the low ones normally.

Ten pages in and the poll suggest nearly as many people aren't worried about this going forward as are. If I'm Acheson or Cesario reading this, I might not rate this "goo" much of a priority.

That projection happens to coincide with my personal view, which is this isn't much of a problem. I saw nine shows live last year and wasn't overly concerned at any of them. Maybe my hearing isn't tuned to that frequency. I don't know. I do know I can pick out most voices in most ensembles with ease.

HH

Either way its still an issue because people pay for both the live and the recorded. Some may even value the recorded as more important because thats what they will hear now forever. If its a problem with the recording is it possible that its an issue with the company who puts out the recorded product, and there balance levels?

Either way its still an issue because people pay for both the live and the recorded. Some may even value the recorded as more important because thats what they will hear now forever. If its a problem with the recording is it possible that its an issue with the company who puts out the recorded product, and there balance levels?

Might be only so much you can doctor to dial it in.

HH

Glory, if 50% of your audience thinks there is a problem, that's a BIG deal, imho. How could you ignore it? Will 50% just die off and go away?

Will they be replaced by a more malleable audience instantly?

satisfied.gif

I love low end synth when done well -- see Crown 2009, Cadets 2010 (at times), SCV 2009-2010, BD 2009.

Shame is, many of those corps mentioned sound like #### on the cd because of the low end overpowering everything.

Agreed, especially SCV and Crown.

Glory, if 50% of your audience thinks there is a problem, that's a BIG deal, imho. How could you ignore it? Will 50% just die off and go away?

Of course you're right. But that doesn't make me wrong, necessarily. If half the audience (as surveyed, for whatever that's worth) think the trend is in the right direction, then it seems it's just as reasonable to interpret the data as not indicating a clear mandate for change. That's all I'm saying.

HH

satisfied.gif

You have to look at what the poll is asking. It's not asking for preference, it's looking at outlook and direction.

Edited by charlie1223

Of course you're right. But that doesn't make me wrong, necessarily. If half the audience (as surveyed, for whatever that's worth) think the trend is in the right direction, then it seems it's just as reasonable to interpret the data as not indicating a clear mandate for change. That's all I'm saying.

HH

those saying yes might be saying it can't get worse, so, by default, it will get better.

those saying no might be saying it won't get any better because years of over-powered front ensembles haven't changed for the better so why should synth goo?

those saying no might be saying it won't get any better because years of over-powered front ensembles haven't changed for the better so why should synth goo?

but this rule passage actually helps the balance of all miced and electronic instruments. So wouldn't it also help an over balanced pit along with overbalanced synth? yes.

Edited by charlie1223

HH

Dig a little deeper. I qualified why I voted yes, and it wasn't why you are indicating people have been voting yes. Also, there may be others who voted similarly.