The most overrated shows of the last decade

Cadets 2009. Never saw what was so great about that show.

Interesting. Considering I feel that was one of the most "traditional" drum corps shows they've fielded in quite some time.

• Like 1

Is it weird that the Bluecoats Drum Major is posting on a public forum about who he finds to be overrated or is it just me? Do you think the Drum Majors of Crown or Phantom would be offended that you think their corps is overrated / over-hyped? My guess is they would be, but you wouldn't know about it for sure since you won't be seeing them post on here.

I find it weird people get so bent out of shape over things like this.

• Like 3

Is it weird that the Bluecoats Drum Major is posting on a public forum about who he finds to be overrated or is it just me? Do you think the Drum Majors of Crown or Phantom would be offended that you think their corps is overrated / over-hyped? My guess is they would be, but you wouldn't know about it for sure since you won't be seeing them post on here.

Not trying to fuel something, but I totally agree. This is nothing personal, but I actually alluded to this in a previous post despite the fact that nobody caught on. No offense to ANYBODY (not singling out any person on this forum), but I find it weird that current members of corps will admit to being current members of corps and "trash talk" (IN QUOTES) other corps. It is bad enough to have first year age outs spilling all of their built-up comments from however many years they marched, but to have current members posting reflects the opinions of their organization. Not saying that it was meant to be a certain way, but any drum major of any corps making a comment about another corps represents an opinion of the ENTIRE corps because the drum major ALWAYS represents the ENTIRE corps.

It is also tacky to always talk about shows you marched in, bring up specific instances of things from your experiences that are not relevant to the topic at hand, or doing shameFUL promotions of your corps. After all, we all want to make our corps look as best as possible in this dog eat dog forum that is Drum Corps Planet!

Just my .02, and I really could care less if all members of an organization decide to suddenly red button the hell out of me. "Oh No! I have to fear what I say on DCP because one comment ruined my reputation!!!!"

• Like 6

Correction, A Bluecoats drum major. My issue isn't with the organizations at all. I just wish that the people I mentioned would watch more corps before they formulate opinions on two being the best. There's nothing wrong with having educated opinions. And if the other drum majors had an issue with it, they could tell me easily. The 2011 drum majors all have a way to contact each other fairly easily.

I'm not forbidden to post my thoughts

...yet! :tongue:

what you feel is an educated thought is dumb to someone else and vice versa.

just saying. Many of these "uneducated" thoughts as you see them have been posted by people with many years experience in drum corps

• Like 3

The reason I believe some shows mentioned above (ie. Phantom 2003/2008) is overhyped is due to the fact that so many people can relate to the music being played. The music makes sense, is easy to follow, and creates a sense of satisfaction for so many listeners that some other corps did not offer that year. It's just that alot of shows have been so intellectually constructed, that the output can make the brain hurt. Maybe I sound like a moron to some of you, but I am like most people that judge entertainment mainly by if I like what I hear, aesthetically. Just give me something I can follow and put some power and emotion behind it! Don't think I'm complaining about others' lists, it's just why I believe certain shows are overhyped.

and also offering up why there seems to be so much fan disconnect with how GE is judged

• Like 1

I agree with all of these except phantom 2006. I think that Phantom 2008 is falsely hyped as one of the best shows of all time, but I disagree. Not saying it should have been a BD win or phantom loss, but people hype this show like its their job

I'd have to agree... I marched with Rick and have a world of respect for PR and their programs but 2008 was mostly nostalgic for me.

I really preferred the full Spartacus (Khachaturian) performances in 1981 and 1982 (in fact I still have my Libretto from 1982).

1985 Cadets would have to be tops on my list.

I really think that way to much visual euphoria was still in play with the judging community and SCV or BD really had the better full package.

1987 Cadets Loved the show (was touring with another corps when Spirit of Atlanta beat them in Westchester June 28, Cary July 1, and Orlando July 7 - of course at finals Aug 15 Cadets 1st and Spirit 10th 10 points back) and thought they performed better then SCV at finals but it still irks me that a perfect percussion execution score was awarded with 2 corps to perform.

BD 2000 :

No explanation as to why the arrangement makes me experience side effects commonly associated with taking antibiotics

This show doesn't fit the topic unless the last decade had 11 years.

what you feel is an educated thought is dumb to someone else and vice versa.

just saying. Many of these "uneducated" thoughts as you see them have been posted by people with many years experience in drum corps

I believe he was referring to comments made by people he knows personally, not posts here on the planet.

• Like 1