Cadets Uniform

It has been said that alumni are upset that age-outs with the Cadets and rookies are not going to be able to share in the tradition of wearing the west point style uniform. This is very true, and does bring a legitimate argument to the table that should be looked over.

However, how would you like your age-out year to be remembered as the one in which alumni embarrassed the corps and the members by bad mouthing their corps director and direction of the drum corps to the entire internet? Look, the fact is that the concern is legitimate and the information to back it up is WELL recognized by the members of the DCP community, but more importantly, larger drum corps community as a whole. It really sucks that some kid was excited about being a part of something that they thought was special, something they thought was going to push the envelope once again, as many Cadet corps have done previous, and now has to deal with this influx of harmful comments. I took a look at the Cadets facebook page and am quite alarmed at the lengths some alumni are going to in order to convey their opinions. I really think e-mail conversations with the administration and powers within the Cadets would be much more effective than littering online forums with this waste.

I was going to stop posting on this thread because it is obvious that stubborn alumni will feel a certain way, which they are totally welcome to, but will continue to dismiss the possibility that they are harming the Cadets for the 2011 season. It is disheartening to see the continued sad statuses of current Cadets, to see them try and rally together AGAINST their own alumni, and try and make each other feel better through continued public support despite the negative alumni vibe. I have rarely seen Cadets post on public forums or sites in response to what others have to say, but the intensity and childish nature of some of the comments from the alumni have brought current members to speak out against them. I am astounded, simply dumbfounded.

If for no other reason to stop posting publicly, do it for the age-out class of 2011. We don't know what is to come for the future of drum corps, or the Cadets, but what we are able to grasp is that the 2011 Cadets will field a corps set on pushing the envelope of innovation once again, making all alumni for the past 77 years proud. If you can find it in your heart to put the best interest of the members over that of your own (simply in terms of posting in public places!!!!!!!!!! MAKE YOUR CLAIM AND SEND YOUR COMPLAINTS TO THE PEOPLE THAT CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!), the members would be incredible appreciative.

I chose not to sign this as the expert or as brassEXPERT, but instead as a friend of MANY current members that have all voiced their sheer sadness that the season is turning out completely different then they had ever hoped. They find it frustrating that they have been trained and taught not to post on this forum, but feel like they don't have a voice in this matter. Please, for the sake of the members, especially the age-outs, stop this pointless war. No matter how strongly you feel, the only thing being accomplished by this argument taking place is hurting the current members, and certainly NOT making a difference on what the Cadets will be wearing this year.

-a friend of many current, discouraged Cadets

Believe it or not, I honestly agree with a lot of what you're saying here, in fact, a lot of it sounds like things we were taught at Cadets - most notably the "If you want to complain...do it to someone that can do something about it". As far as me following that advice...for my part, i'm not trying to complain, and im not setting out to upset anybody. Heck, I've even said that I'm not necessarily against this uniform change. Do I tire of hearing (which you reiterated again in your post) that this change is somehow going to put the cadets back on the leading edge of drum corps...pushing the envelope....innovation, blah blah, when it SOUNDS like something that has been done before...yeah, kind of, but thats hardly the same as bashing the corps, or somehow saying that their season will be somehow diminished.

Look - I've read just about all of the comments, both on here and on facebook, and I can see why people are upset. I would be too were I still marching. To the folks that say they're directing their comments at the administration and not the members, then um....why are you posting it on a facebook page or dcp, and not emailing someone on staff? I know the answer...because I fall prey to it myself sometimes (but then, i'm not pretending to make that distinction...)...but you WANT everyone to see how upset you are...you WANT to make everyone share in your misery, and like it or not, you are trying to cause a scene. It's no better than the people that booed at quarterfinals in 2007 (the first and only finals week I've ever attended as a fan)...but in a way, i can forgive those people more. It was a spur of the moment thing...half of them were drunk, and a majority were just looking for an excuse to slam the corps anyway. As for alumni, i feel like we should be held to a slightly higher standard than that...and I do promise to politely talk to any member that feels bothered by something I've said (so far I havent heard anything...in case you are wondering)

As far as members being upset, in my judgement (and it's just that...MY judgement...others may be different), I've maybe seen comments coming from 4 or 5 alumni TOTAL (whom often repeat themselves and have a way of being ...loud) that could be construed as seriously bothersome....the rest of us are either a little wary / nervous, or downright supportive. That's 4 or 5 people...maybe a dozen if we're generous, out of almost 8 decades worth of marchers...or THOUSANDS of alumni, so try to keep it in perspective. And... i realize my posting style may be a little confusing - pointing out my own concerns while criticizing other people who are against this, BUT, I try and see both sides of an argument without being a jerk myself. Hopefully that isn't too confusing...but like I said, I'm always willing to talk about it :)

Edited by euponitone
  • Like 4

But honestly. Can we please wait to see what the uniforms will look like before crucifying them? Can we wait to see them before we start slamming Hop for not giving a #### about the alumni or tradition? Can we wait to see them before proclaiming the death of the Cadets?

But if we wait for the corps to field, then any criticism of the uniform will be conflated as an attack on the kids.

Let's see some Photoshop already.

...but you WANT everyone to see how upset you are...you WANT to make everyone share in your misery, and like it or not, you are trying to cause a scene...

Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you WANT me on that wall. You NEED me on that wall...

you20cant20handle20the20truth.jpg

YOU WANT ANSWERS?!?! Then wait for June... :doh:

• Like 1

Deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you WANT me on that wall. You NEED me on that wall...

DID YOU ORDER THE NEW (CODE RED)UNIFORMS???!!!!!

DID YOU ORDER THE NEW (CODE RED MAROON)UNIFORMS???!!!!!

* fixed

:tongue:

Edited by chaddyt

Not sure when they changed it back to cream and gold...in my day the DMs wore cream/gold, while the guard captains wore cream/maroon.

DMs and Capts 1972

Everyone should check out those photos. The quality is outstanding.

And since you brought it up, let not forget his most famous line from this movie.... : " You want the truth ? The truth is, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH !!"

Edited by BRASSO