Cadets Uniform

Honestly, if the corps is going to do some sort of split uni for different sections (and it appears that may be where this is headed), we've been down this path a long time ago . . .Sky Ryders did it with WSS in 1987, so it's not like this is some sort of new ground we're covering.

If the change was permanent . . .perhaps moving from the West Point look to something like the "jumpsuit" unis that are popular today, I could see the outrage.

However, right now I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this for one season. If Hop decides that every year will be a new themed take on the traditional Cadets uni (not likely IMO), then perhaps there is cause for concern.

However, how would you like your age-out year to be remembered as the one in which alumni embarrassed the corps and the members by bad mouthing their corps director and direction of the drum corps to the entire internet?

Oh, please. Spare us the melodrama. Alumni have voiced mixed opinions of their alma mater since....well, 1935, I would imagine. I know firsthand that there was criticism of the changes going on circa 1982-1983. Funny how that gets forgotten when those changes earn widespread popularity and a quantum leap in competitive success.

I was going to stop posting on this thread because it is obvious that stubborn alumni will feel a certain way, which they are totally welcome to, but will continue to dismiss the possibility that they are harming the Cadets for the 2011 season. It is disheartening to see the continued sad statuses of current Cadets, to see them try and rally together AGAINST their own alumni, and try and make each other feel better through continued public support despite the negative alumni vibe.

It is more disheartening to see someone obsess over Facebook statuses.

If for no other reason to stop posting publicly, do it for the age-out class of 2011. We don't know what is to come for the future of drum corps, or the Cadets, but what we are able to grasp is that the 2011 Cadets will field a corps set on pushing the envelope of innovation once again, making all alumni for the past 77 years proud. If you can find it in your heart to put the best interest of the members over that of your own (simply in terms of posting in public places!!!!!!!!!! MAKE YOUR CLAIM AND SEND YOUR COMPLAINTS TO THE PEOPLE THAT CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!), the members would be incredible appreciative.

Silence the critics. :thumbdown:

I have rarely seen Cadets post on public forums or sites in response to what others have to say, but the intensity and childish nature of some of the comments from the alumni have brought current members to speak out against them. I am astounded, simply dumbfounded.

So am I. Here's why:

I chose not to sign this as the expert or as brassEXPERT, but instead as a friend of MANY current members that have all voiced their sheer sadness that the season is turning out completely different then they had ever hoped. They find it frustrating that they have been trained and taught not to post on this forum, but feel like they don't have a voice in this matter.

So Cadet members are told not to post on DCP, but they are free to speak out against their own alumni on Facebook?

• Like 3

Honestly, if the corps is going to do some sort of split uni for different sections (and it appears that may be where this is headed), we've been down this path a long time ago . . .Sky Ryders did it with WSS in 1987, so it's not like this is some sort of new ground we're covering.

If the change was permanent . . .perhaps moving from the West Point look to something like the "jumpsuit" unis that are popular today, I could see the outrage.

However, right now I'm kinda looking forward to seeing this for one season. If Hop decides that every year will be a new themed take on the traditional Cadets uni (not likely IMO), then perhaps there is cause for concern.

Yup - in other words...not that big of a deal...but not all that much cause for excitment either.

And slightly OT - to whoever decided to snip and paste parts of my original posts to the Cadets FB page...please stop. If I wanted to write it there, I would have put it there. As tame and respectful as I tried to be, I posted on this, a 'neutral site' for a reason, rather than chosing a page run by the corps, and accessed by WAY more current members and staff. It's one thing to ask the kids to ignore dcp, but their own FB page?...not likely...

regardless of what I may say or feel on here, any kid I teach knows that they are feel to free whatever they want, and I won't try to influence them. When I warned that student about things they may see or hear, I gave no specific examples, nor did I voice any opinions I may have. In fact, when said student asked about going for a corps, i told them if they were going to audition for DCI, with their talent, the Cadets should be their first choice ( see, I won't lie to a kid, tell them to go some place they have no chance in making, only to see them get crushed.)

I told that student that the Cadets can be polarizing, tho often times people mean the director, who does seem to have a good and caring heart towards his kids, and not the corps themselves. I told them to be open minded, go check it out, and I'd support them no matter what they did. They chose to go for it and make it, and I couldn't be prouder of them.

But I also heard their disappointment when they told me ( a few weeks ago) they wouldn't be wearing the uniform that's considered the classic. Their own words" it's just not the cadets without those uniforms!"

from the mouths of babes

I feel like I can relate to that. Though I've never marched (it is easily the single biggest regret of my life), I'd probably be disappointed in not getting to wear the traditional uniform as well.

That said, the uniform is not what I regret missing out on. I regret missing out on the experience. I regret missing out on the work ethic, the comraderie, the opportunity to push myself to do something I've never done before, and the chance to call myself a Cadet.

If this issue of the uniform doesn't prevent your student from moving forward with the corps this summer, I ask that you check back with him/her at the end of the season and see if the uniform itself kept them from having what I hear, is a most incredible experience.

• Like 3

But I also heard their disappointment when they told me ( a few weeks ago) they wouldn't be wearing the uniform that's considered the classic. Their own words" it's just not the cadets without those uniforms!"

from the mouths of babes

Maybe as the season unfolds, the current Cadets marchers who said this to you, will feel differently. One can only hope.

In fact, when said student asked about going for a corps, i told them if they were going to audition for DCI, with their talent, the Cadets should be their first choice ( see, I won't lie to a kid, tell them to go some place they have no chance in making, only to see them get crushed.)

What is that supposed to mean!!?

The Cadets aren't top of the line?

If anything, I *would* like to see them do a different take on a West Point uniform each year. Both Phantom and (recently) Crown have had great success tweaking the unis each summer to help bring a show together.

Mike

I was wondering when people would find out about this.

Needs at least the stripe, IMO.

Kinda goofy to change your corps logo, to a design that symbolizes innovation and tradition, with an image that represents the corps uniform and then change the corps uniform the following year.

Personally, I don't have an opinion: a good show is a good show regardless of uniform. I've always liked Cadets' traditional uniform, but don't have any problems with them changing (unless, of course, the uniform doesn't work with the show). Crown has kind of been doing this for awhile, and Star did it in the 90's: both corps have utilized that as a great effect, and if Cadets can as well more power to them.