Cadets Uniform

It has been said that alumni are upset that age-outs with the Cadets and rookies are not going to be able to share in the tradition of wearing the west point style uniform. This is very true, and does bring a legitimate argument to the table that should be looked over.

However, how would you like your age-out year to be remembered as the one in which alumni embarrassed the corps and the members by bad mouthing their corps director and direction of the drum corps to the entire internet? Look, the fact is that the concern is legitimate and the information to back it up is WELL recognized by the members of the DCP community, but more importantly, larger drum corps community as a whole. It really sucks that some kid was excited about being a part of something that they thought was special, something they thought was going to push the envelope once again, as many Cadet corps have done previous, and now has to deal with this influx of harmful comments. I took a look at the Cadets facebook page and am quite alarmed at the lengths some alumni are going to in order to convey their opinions. I really think e-mail conversations with the administration and powers within the Cadets would be much more effective than littering online forums with this waste.

I was going to stop posting on this thread because it is obvious that stubborn alumni will feel a certain way, which they are totally welcome to, but will continue to dismiss the possibility that they are harming the Cadets for the 2011 season. It is disheartening to see the continued sad statuses of current Cadets, to see them try and rally together AGAINST their own alumni, and try and make each other feel better through continued public support despite the negative alumni vibe. I have rarely seen Cadets post on public forums or sites in response to what others have to say, but the intensity and childish nature of some of the comments from the alumni have brought current members to speak out against them. I am astounded, simply dumbfounded.

If for no other reason to stop posting publicly, do it for the age-out class of 2011. We don't know what is to come for the future of drum corps, or the Cadets, but what we are able to grasp is that the 2011 Cadets will field a corps set on pushing the envelope of innovation once again, making all alumni for the past 77 years proud. If you can find it in your heart to put the best interest of the members over that of your own (simply in terms of posting in public places!!!!!!!!!! MAKE YOUR CLAIM AND SEND YOUR COMPLAINTS TO THE PEOPLE THAT CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!), the members would be incredible appreciative.

I chose not to sign this as the expert or as brassEXPERT, but instead as a friend of MANY current members that have all voiced their sheer sadness that the season is turning out completely different then they had ever hoped. They find it frustrating that they have been trained and taught not to post on this forum, but feel like they don't have a voice in this matter. Please, for the sake of the members, especially the age-outs, stop this pointless war. No matter how strongly you feel, the only thing being accomplished by this argument taking place is hurting the current members, and certainly NOT making a difference on what the Cadets will be wearing this year.

-a friend of many current, discouraged Cadets

good post

No alumni wants to see their image erased I'm sure but no one said it wasn't coming back after a year. If SOME alumni are upset send a letter To George , if he feels like, he maybe can explain why he wants to do this for a season. Anyone else, why be concerned.But then again it wouldn't be human if we didn't get up in everyones business now would it :tongue:

• Like 1

I wonder if the newbies to BD in 94 felt the same way about the drastic change from the Marine Mess Dress jacket to the one they wore.....I suspect not....it was still BD.

I would prefer Cadets to be in the maroon cadets (and the good ones....not the abominations with the gauntlets and fake cross sash that would fall off)....but they'll still be Cadets....just like Blue Stars are still Blue Stars with shakos.

Isn't the product on the field more important?

• Like 2

I wonder if the newbies to BD in 94 felt the same way about the drastic change from the Marine Mess Dress jacket to the one they wore.....I suspect not....it was still BD.

I would prefer Cadets to be in the maroon cadets (and the good ones....not the abominations with the gauntlets and fake cross sash that would fall off)....but they'll still be Cadets....just like Blue Stars are still Blue Stars with shakos.

Perfect post Sam. It's like when SCV went without the star in 91 and 93, it was still SCV, it's about the show, and the corps as a whole, not some little thing. The things don't make the corps, the kids and the shows make the corps.

• Like 1

That change was nothing compared to getting rid of the silk blouses in 1975 and going to the tuxedo with frilly shirt look of 1976. (Granted, the corps was still just a few years old at the time.) All the corps' uniform changes since then have been incremental in comparison.

The product on the field is certainly more important, but fans can't complain about that until the season starts; so for now, the generation of mass angst that comes from speculation of what might or might not be regarding uniforms yet to be seen has to fill in. So far, it's doing a spectacular job.

• Like 1

That change was nothing compared to getting rid of the silk blouses in 1975 and going to the tuxedo with frilly shirt look of 1976. (Granted, the corps was still just a few years old at the time.) All the corps' uniform changes since then have been incremental in comparison.

You mean the waiter jackets???? LOL,corps went from plain blue tops with front sash to something Prince must have thought up. And that was in the day of more military type unis and the guard dressed more or like the rest of the corps.

Know those pre-1976 unis very well as my corps bought them and wore 'em for 3 years. Ironic thing was day after 1976 Philly DCI both corps performed at an exhibition at Hershey, PA. Saw at least one BD memebr staring at us like "Ya gotta be <bleeping> me!!".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No, I love disagreement. And what "approach" do you think that is, Jeff?

Are you, by chance, MikeD's son? :tongue:

• Like 1

as I said I am intrigued. but I also have seen first hand in non iconic corps what that kind of change can do. And, honestly, some of the biggest bashers against Hop and his views on tradition are alumni.

What kind of change??

We haven't seen them yet!!