So far, I'm not really liking 2011

so far i'm not really liking the choice to have amy adams be lois lane in the new superman movie.

That's crazy: she's a pretty high quality actress. She's been nominated for an Oscar, what, THREE times?! I think she'll be good, and honestly I'm a little bit more interested now with her cast announcement than I was previously.

Oh; we're talking drum corps here?

My bad...

Its still early but I am right there with you to a degree. Other than a few corps announcements I have not seen anything to get terribly excited about. If anything all this bragging about electronics and how some corps are going to test the limits of electronics is really driving me to stay home more than it is getting me off the couch and into the stands.

This whole new generation of cloak and dagger announcements and sharing of information is getting right down boring. Hint to all the corps. We need hype and we need it early. If you want to be mysterious and cloak and dagger...that is totally up to you and your administration. Just don't count on my butt being in the stands unless you get me excited about coming to your show.

This announcement "trend" has been the "trend" since I've been following drum corps since the early 90's. I don't know how things were in the 80's, but I would bet that they were similar: DCW has a 'get ready for the summer' issue in May with most corps show announcements. Maybe before that issue a few corps here and there announced their shows on their own, but generally that's how I remember things happening.

I don't get why adult drum corps fans/alumni (who should know better by now) have such a strong sense of entitlement about EVERYTHING: "I've got to know what a corps is playing/planning in March. I have to have shows arranged exactly the way I like it. I have to have corps instrumentation exactly the way I like it" etc. It seems humorously ironic, since drum corps is such a "go with the flow" type of activity (at least when you're a member), with corps constantly redefining what can be done on a field, what instruments will work, what vis design is possible, etc.

Yet people now are so bent out of shape about this stuff out of their control. Crazy

• Like 5

For show announcements, because drum corps fans *want* to know what their favorite groups are doing. They *want* to get excited about the upcoming year, and it's sometimes difficult to do so when the only thing exciting about it is... "Hey, the 2011 season is starting soon!"

I may get excited that the Zilker Summer Musical is going to start in 3 months in Austin, but I will darn well be more interested if I knew what musical they were doing.

There's clearly a demand for information there - it's the supply timing that's questionable each spring. With the internet age fully upon us, it looks in retrospect like the only reason people waited in the past on information is they *had* to.

Mike

• Like 1

That said, were I the G8 King for a Day, I would totally have them either jointly announce the programs or stagger them like one per day for 8 days. Of course, I'd also have done it in conjunction with the start of ticket sales in more of a "total package" approach rather than "8 independent contractors."

The longer we get from Hoppy's "The Circus Comes to Town" approach, the more I think it's an apt analogy, especially for the ToC shows. Design, assemble, perform and market it as a total show, not just independent acts. Just like the circus does.

Mike

For show announcements, because drum corps fans *want* to know what their favorite groups are doing. They *want* to get excited about the upcoming year, and it's sometimes difficult to do so when the only thing exciting about it is... "Hey, the 2011 season is starting soon!"

I may get excited that the Zilker Summer Musical is going to start in 3 months in Austin, but I will darn well be more interested if I knew what musical they were doing.

There's clearly a demand for information there - it's the supply timing that's questionable each spring. With the internet age fully upon us, it looks in retrospect like the only reason people waited in the past on information is they *had* to.

Mike

ahhhhhh the good old days, when ignorance was bliss, people had to wait to get the news on anything, the Internet didn't exist so bullying only took place in the school yard and people who no one would listen to got a voice ( sometime , unfortunately ..loll ) oh..and the social networks didn't exist...loll...geee how would we know what someone's mood was or what they were doing every minute.....or care..lol
  • Like 2

Mike

Phantom, Cadets, Blue Knights, Boston, Blue Stars and Teal Sound are corps that are giving their fans quite A LOT to talk about and get excited for. We can't forget that some corps ARE actually doing a great job of spreading "hype" and excitement for their corps in the upcoming season.

Award for most music seen would have to have to be Blue Knights. I feel like Cadets have been consistent in releasing "something" show related every few weeks or so. Blue Stars, Boston, Teal Sound gave us a little recordings from camp and we at least know the direction those corps are going in the 2011 season. Phantom is keeping us in the loop even early, announcing the all female guard, then title, then repertoire but without any snippets from camp.

Question is: Do you (or anyone who wants to answer) think that those corps that HAVE released information are doing something good compared to those that haven't released anything? honestly how important is off-season hype for these corps? Do you think those corps that have released stuff in the off-season will be better off for having done so?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Off season information is nothing more than a way to get fans hyped and excited. Which is a pretty good thing I think.

geee how would we know what someone's mood was or what they were doing every minute.....or care..lol

Ha: so true

Off Topic (though relative to what you're saying), here's a great video on a Facebook take from The Onion: Facebook = CIA project to save money keeping tabs on humanity

Question is: Do you (or anyone who wants to answer) think that those corps that HAVE released information are doing something good compared to those that haven't released anything? honestly how important is off-season hype for these corps? Do you think those corps that have released stuff in the off-season will be better off for having done so?

I think that it is VERY beneficial/pseudo-necessary for some corps. Corps like Blue Knights, Boston, Blue Stars Teal Sound, and other non-finalist (or even lower-placing finalists) can benefit from early-season hype. While I don't begrudge corps for controlling the release of information, it's hard to find the logic in a lot of the not-as-popular/not-as-competitively successful corps to not even releasing a show theme/concept (short of maybe securing rights). Corps like, say, Colts or Spirit can generate buzz they might not normally receive from "common" fans otherwise.

That being said, I don't think there is any harm for corps like Blue Devils, SCV, Cavaliers, Phantom, Crown, Bluecoats, even Cadets to keep us in suspense. Those corps (at least this season) already have not only a strong fan-base, but interest from the common fan. In fact, there is obviously plenty of buzz with fans speculating, guessing, and complaining about not knowing the show theme or rep.

If they haven't "hired the waiters" yet, then they're going to be in a world of hurt come June.....

Like making staff changes in March. Equivalent of changing chefs after grand opening.