Will non TOC corps get a fair shake at Finals?

This question is based on naivety on my part because I don't understand the whole rationale behind formation of TOC shows. Because there are some awesome "non TOC" groups- do you think they will be slotted at Finals to prove these 8 are the top groups, as a face saving measure?

Just wondering if the top 8 have been selected.........

• Like 2

The goal of DCI is to judge each corps based on the merits of the performance they are currently viewing compared to other corps. Whether that corps is titled Blue Devils or Blue Knights should not influence the judges numbers. There will be discussion about whether or not the judges get it right all the time or not, but most of the time (even with a number of other biases out there) they have gotten it right. And I only expect that judges this year will still hold to those judging standards with integrity.

• Like 5

Though I had strawberry last summer, this summer I will try chocolate.

Band Day is also worth checking out.

The Indiana state fairgrounds are at 38th and Fall Creek Parkway.

The goal of DCI is to judge each corps based on the merits of the performance they are currently viewing compared to other corps. Whether that corps is titled Blue Devils or Blue Knights should not influence the judges numbers. There will be discussion about whether or not the judges get it right all the time or not, but most of the time (even with a number of other biases out there) they have gotten it right. And I only expect that judges this year will still hold to those judging standards with integrity.

it shouldn't, but it does. Early season placings always mimic the previous years end placings. So you can conclude that at least at those shows, the numbers a corps gets a very name driven.

This question is based on naivety on my part because I don't understand the whole rationale behind formation of TOC shows. Because there are some awesome "non TOC" groups- do you think they will be slotted at Finals to prove these 8 are the top groups, as a face saving measure?

Just wondering if the top 8 have been selected.........

Nobody knows. It's all speculation as to the future. ( just like anything for that matter )

The only thing we can say with certainty is that the World Class Division has been segmented for this season into a Group Slotting System that subdivides the Division based upon previous years competitive results. The fact that some of the competing Corps have already received a competitive advantaged standing for this season as a result of this ( while others have already been put into a disadvantaged competitive situation going into this season as a result ), is simply where we are at present. Where it takes us from here is where we enter the realm of guesswork and speculation.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm going to say maybe unless Cesario gets the changes he wants which potentially level the playing field.

Nobody knows. It's all speculation as to the future. ( just like anything for that matter )

The only thing we can say with certainty is that the World Class Division has been segmented for this season into a Group Slotting System that subdivides the Division based upon previous years competitive results. The fact that some of the competing Corps have already received a competitive advantaged standing for this season as a result of this ( while others have already been put into a disadvantaged competitive situation going into this season as a result ), is simply where we are at present. Where it takes us from here is where we enter the realm of guesswork and speculation.

What would the standing look like if they took the past ten years of placements would you have the same FAB 8.

I don't understand your question. Whose face needs saving?

The TOC is billed as a series of events including last year's top 8. I do not see any promotion claiming in advance that they will be this year's top 8. So unless the event sponsors, corps or DCI suddenly start making that fallacious assertion, their faces are not at risk.

Of course, there is always concern about the possibility of slotting....but I don't see any connection between that and DCI marketing. Consider this....Murfreesboro has been marketed as the current top 8, determined by the most recent head-to-head meeting six days earlier. But the judges in Atlanta the next day feel no obligation to declare the same top 8. Look at the results from 2010.