Cadets2

Uh, you've always had to bring it

Lets not underestimate the ability of DCA corps, with all this speculation. Personally, I think in this instance, experience trumps age. The experience I speak of, goes far beyond the competition field. The only "question" in my mind is this: Will this Cadets 2 corps embrace the DCA culture, or stand apart from it? The corps I am currently consulting with is, like everyone else, working very hard to put their show on the field. I am insisting that this corps EMBRACE the DCA culture. I consider doing so, vital to their success. They must function as a DCA corps, in every aspect. To do otherwise, would be a mistake.

Edited by hairbear

Uh, you've always had to bring it

That's true,but bringin it at age 40 vs age 18 is a heck of alot more work.

Edited by koldsilver
  • Like 1

Lets not underestimate the ability of DCA corps, with all this speculation. Personally, I think in this instance, experience trumps age. The experience I speak of, goes far beyond the competition field. The only "question" in my mind is this: Will this Cadets 2 corps embrace the DCA culture, or stand apart from it?

The Cadets tend to embrace their own culture more than embracing DCI's culture, I imagine Cadets2 would be similar.

Does anyone actually look forward to competing against a corps consisting of 16-22 year olds, 128 strong? What are the chances of ANYONE being even physically capable of performing some of the drill they will be able to put out. Not to mention the fact that for most of these kids Cadets2 and a part time job at Walmart is all they will have going in their lives. And folks think there's a lack of competitive parity now??!! Sure, let them join and compete. But let's have them open their membership to all age so we can at least have some semblance of a level playing field.

Do you think all the other DCA corps are full of a bunch of old folks in walkers? I'd say 16-22 is pretty close to Reading's average membership. And, their rehearsal schedule will probably be similar.

Edited by Mike McMullen

The Cadets tend to embrace their own culture more than embracing DCI's culture, I imagine Cadets2 would be similar.

My question was retorical in nature, but your comment provides valuable insight. Thank you. It just seems wise to acclimate ones self to the "lay of the land", and function accordingly, would you agree? Perhaps I am delving into the philosophical differences inherent in DCI and DCA, with such a question. (my previous post) For instance, does DCI have a "fraternal" culture? I honestly don't have an answer for this question, as my Jr. corps involvement was pre-DCI and the majority of my experience is within the DCA ranks.

My question was retorical in nature, but your comment provides valuable insight. Thank you. It just seems wise to acclimate ones self to the "lay of the land", and function accordingly, would you agree? Perhaps I am delving into the philosophical differences inherent in DCI and DCA, with such a question. (my previous post) For instance, does DCI have a "fraternal" culture? I honestly don't have an answer for this question, as my Jr. corps involvement was pre-DCI and the majority of my experience is within the DCA ranks.

I don't know that DCI has a fraternal culture, folks are friendly corps to corps, but I think fraternal would be pushing it.

However, Cadets do have a very fraternal culture.

Truly, no one knows how much Cadets2 will participate with DCA's culture.

Regarding this debate,

In a side note, we have a survey on our website dealing with this same situation. We have been trying for slightly over a year now to start a drum corps in central Texas. We've toyed with the idea of being all-age. We've toyed with the idea of being under 22. Now we're investigating what the people in the activity and in the area actually want.

If you visit our website, a little "pop up" window will ask you to take our survey. It's more so intended for people in Texas and specifically central Texas, but if you'd like to voice your opinion on it, feel free.

As for us - we'd be happy to field of corps of any caliber with any age range at this point! It's nice to get 40 people in the door, but that's just the start!