Cadets2

If you mean just the drum corps, I find this extremely hard to believe. There are some full time open class DCI corps who has yearly budget nowhere near that much.

NOW, if you mean six digits for the drum corps, indoor drumline and indoor guard... then this would be believable.

a good WGI world class guards budget is well into the 5 figures..thats for sure..sucks but true

If you mean just the drum corps, I find this extremely hard to believe. There are some full time open class DCI corps who has yearly budget nowhere near that much.

NOW, if you mean six digits for the drum corps, indoor drumline and indoor guard... then this would be believable.

Every non-profit corporation in America has to file tax returns. Those returns are public information and are freely available on the internet. You can verify the numbers of any drum corps there. There are World Class DCI units with budgets in the 7 figures. For example, SCV's revenue last year was $2.5 million. The Cavs also have a million-dollar budget.

Minnesota Brass does indeed run winter percussion and guards. And those budgets are included, but they are small compared to the corps. And besides, winter units generally don't get appearance fees, hence they contribute virtually nothing to the bottom line.

Edited by Ron H

It just amazing to me that anyone in any position of authority in DCA or knows anything about DCA verses DCI, and by the way who really cares about WGI, takes this attitude about it's all about getting more fans in the seats. But at what expense? Also who in DCA really cares about the size of DCI stadium's and the size of there crowds. The music thing about new or not is even more garbage, does it really matter? Did the BRIGGS not win with really old re-played music and set the fan's on fire? DCI is a different animal than DCA, thank the lord, and comparing the two is just foolish. By the way would anybody on the DCA board actually not give those people at CADETS/2 what they want, and take of the chance of pissing them off, give me a break. MBI and BUCS are as junior as you can get in DCA and still have the type of entertainment SOME of us that are still SENIOR corps fans enjoy. DCA made this all age and the CADETS/2 have every right to come here with any age corps and kick ### all they want and yes they will put fans in the seats and I'll be one of them, but if someone actually believes that this will not change DCA forever than than you also must believe that M&M's judge's score in 1972(had to get that in here somehow), oh by the way I have this bridge I want to sell you to. Like I posted before i really hope what I think will happen is wrong and this a great success, But that's just mu opinion.

• Like 1

My God, enough with this thread, its just constant bickering about something that may or may not make one difference in the scheme of things. DCA has rules and if a new corps adheres to them and is admitted, that's that. I've never seen so much chatter about something so insignificant..................... :thumbdown:

• Like 1

It just amazing to me that anyone in any position of authority in DCA or knows anything about DCA verses DCI, and by the way who really cares about WGI, takes this attitude about it's all about getting more fans in the seats. But at what expense? Also who in DCA really cares about the size of DCI stadium's and the size of there crowds. The music thing about new or not is even more garbage, does it really matter? Did the BRIGGS not win with really old re-played music and set the fan's on fire? DCI is a different animal than DCA, thank the lord, and comparing the two is just foolish. By the way would anybody on the DCA board actually not give those people at CADETS/2 what they want, and take of the chance of pissing them off, give me a break. MBI and BUCS are as junior as you can get in DCA and still have the type of entertainment SOME of us that are still SENIOR corps fans enjoy. DCA made this all age and the CADETS/2 have every right to come here with any age corps and kick ### all they want and yes they will put fans in the seats and I'll be one of them, but if someone actually believes that this will not change DCA forever than than you also must believe that M&M's judge's score in 1972(had to get that in here somehow), oh by the way I have this bridge I want to sell you to. Like I posted before i really hope what I think will happen is wrong and this a great success, But that's just mu opinion.

LOL..who cares about WGI? as much as There are some real creepy , downright sinister people there, most of the influece in all arenas is coming from there with same judges, staffs, expectations and even alot of younger members. One who doesnt pay attention, especially to those they dont agree with are destined to be be squashed by them As to some of your other statements, I can agree somewhat. Agree with you about C2..they can do just what they want, can they change the activity of DCA? maybe, it certainly will put a different twist on it especaially if they are successful eventually.Although I agree about Bucs and MB being as junior as it gets BUT YES as far as DCA is concerned I agree ..compared to a DCI corps even OC no I dont think any DCA corps comes close. Then again C2 only being weekend it may be the same.

Alot of your who cares I totally agree with you BUT did you look where you are?....lol :rolleyes: if someone changes a plume there's a 48 page debate on it...I know totally rediculous

Edited by GUARDLING

My God, enough with this thread, its just constant bickering about something that may or may not make one difference in the scheme of things. DCA has rules and if a new corps adheres to them and is admitted, that's that. I've never seen so much chatter about something so insignificant..................... :thumbdown:

really?....look at most of DCP pages....lol :blink:

As long as you brought it up, don't forget the stop-watch too. That was brought about as a response to HIS actions, not ours. As long as one of us is still alive, that incident will not be forgotten or forgiven.

Ray

Completely agree.

BLAST! was a show of music that was completely familiar to a lot of people. Music that had been "done before"... many times, in many forms, and at many venues.

BLAST! sold a ton of tickets.

To me, when it comes to drum corps (and any number of other activities)... ticket sales trump "art" any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

That is, presuming drum corps has ever been an "art form".... which I don't think it ever has been, or ever will be.

Fran, it is a performing art. It involves Music, which is a performing art, and integrated visual elements and concepts that artists use as part of their visual vocabulary. Line. Form. Color, Rhythm. Except the art is far more kinetic than a painting or piece of sculpture.

It can even involve dance, another performing art.

Maybe, what you're saying, is-- should it be treated and thought of as the same art or at the same level as a symphony orchestra concert or a Picasso hanging on a museum wall? That's a good question. I don't really have an answer, only kind of one.

Hey, a velvet painting of Elvis, Dogs Playing Poker, or guys that take a chainsaw and cut a bear's head out of a log are art, too. :smile:

I'd like to think of the activity as decidedly a few cuts above above Elvis on Velvet. The real problem is when the shades or aspirations or pretentiousness begin to approach the Met, the emphasis on being too pretentious and self-serving. :smile:

The other issue concerns some of the comments about intellectual property issues and costs within the marching activity. It's been a serious issue.

My educated guess is not that certain groups refuse to give out the rights, perhaps it's more the associated costs. Perhaps some organizations wuold rather make composer X the boogeyman publicly then outright say that they didn't want to fork out the massive amount of cash that cuold hurt their budgets.

Thinking about some of the statements tied to that- yes, there are some people who will say "It's DCI, shut up and accept and say it's great", even when it is not. A case in point was when that non-corps person wrote the public review of the Quarterfinals simulcast last year and pretty much noted that some of the emperors had no clothes and weren't attractive to look at naked, especially Emperor Jeffery, and got villified and burned at the stake by the DCI faithful. I also think he was drawn, quartered and buried at sea where they dumped Osama's corpse.

Any art can and should be subject to criticism and scrutiny. Sometimes, artists don't want to hear it. Sometimes, things that were villified when they came out are recognized as great works today. There are a few examples of programs like that in Corps as well.

Perhaps the final analysis is that if a corps goes down the route of original composition- find a good composer, and write good, reasonably memorable, accessible, and enjoyable music that does more than just checks off the rubrics on the back of the sheets and hopefully more or less fits the drill move the visual guy showed you on the computer.

If you want to arrange compositions, promote the composers who charge reasonable or no copyright fees for their works and really promote them- hard. They're out there. Don Ellis is one of them.

Hopefully I helped Fran out here a bit. :cool:

And also helped try to keep the one guy from buning a cylinder. :satisfied:

Given. It takes a decent WGI scholastic line at least 15-20,000 to operate with a little breathing room.

15-20 isnt bad many independent guards spend that just for a rehearsal facitlty...guards can spend a good 30-50 grand at times ..depending on the program and traveling to regionals......I would think if percussion had to pay for all the equipment it would exceed guard by tens of thousands if they were independents