Cadets2

Hmmm, I'd say the purpose has changed with the times but never going to go back to the glory of the past. Way back when corps were a source of local pride and served the local members be it youth or their fathers. Now the bigger corps have changed into a business which is needed due to cost and members from a far reaching area. As for the number of people as compared to the past I'd also say the interest is down as local corps died off and DCs visibility went way downhill. Also the rising costs to operate caused the ticket prices to be in the "ferget about it" range for the common fan.

And as nothing operates in a vacuum, other old time local youth activities have gone down over the decades. Little League, Pee-Wee Football, Scouts, etc have tanked in some areas as the sponsors can't afford the bills, find volunteers (my old church) or sponsors have closed their doors. 15-20 yeas ago youth soccer was huge due to low costs and ability to have low talent kids participate. Now that ain't what it used to be.

And I can bore everyone to tears about the training I had when VP on church council. Sessions were about city churchs, why they are going downhill and what can be done about it. The why would take about 2 pitchers of whatever we're drinking to explain. The what can be done was "Nothing but you can decide to change what you do to meet the changes better". That has given me a better idea of DC over the decades than anything else.

Bottom line - #### happens and #### changes things

Yeah, think I'm actually agreeing with you...

IMO You are totally right on this one ( I agree with you , lol ) Those are exactly the reasons drum corps is the way it is now as far as attendance, finance etc etc, although people want to blame, music, stadiums, no color pres, ( yeah someone actually said that ) there are so many who believe with the inception of DCI killed it all although it was 40 year ago so it pretty much lived as long as it did before DCI days. people blame change for the lack of corps NOOOOOOOO it would have died either way, the world changed and many dont get that. So I'm with ya here brother.

Better? No , but what it does show is there is half the amout of people going to drum corps shows in both DCI and DCA from the past. Which may also show it has nothing to do with,whats being played or alot of the excuses you always hear but more sociological. As Ive said for a long time....HAS DRUM CORPS OUT LIVED IT'S PURPOSE, compared to other decades.

This is an interesting observation, and one I hadn't considered.

" C2 will evoke change, controversery, make people think twice when programming their own shows. "

Praise Be. The Saviour may be on its way.

Oh wait. You meant Savior, as in one that comes to, Save or Resque DCA. OK.

So does that mean Reading Buc's, Minn. Brass, Empire, Cabs, Hurks, ETC were NOT good enough. I guess not.

Well. I guess they, as well as ALL others in DCA, will just have to step it up, if the Savior comes to DCA.

Yes that's it. Maybe they, Should "Consult" with the Savior before Programming.

" C2 will evoke change, controversery, make people think twice when programming their own shows. "

Praise Be. The Saviour may be on its way.

Oh wait. You meant Savior, as in one that comes to, Save or Resque DCA. OK.

So does that mean Reading Buc's, Minn. Brass, Empire, Cabs, Hurks, ETC were NOT good enough. I guess not.

Well. I guess they, as well as ALL others in DCA, will just have to step it up, if the Savior comes to DCA.

Yes that's it. Maybe they, Should "Consult" with the Savior before Programming.

If you dont think that will happen then you arent involved to understand how natural that is. You may not like that observation and some others may not but the smatter ones have and will pay attention to their products. If you dont think corps havent also done that with the string oF successes of Bucs , again you are mighty mistaken. I know for sure how in the planning of shows the subject comes up or at least its looked at for what has been successful placement wise and how to compete with it. Arrogrance, which seems to be what you post was will only make another pass all those who dont pay attention even faster. I can tell you 1st hand my associations will pay attention just not to C2 and what we know could be brought to the table but pay attention to whats current and how to move into the FUTURE!

OH ONE MORE THING, I also remember when Bush came out or Sun had their string of wins...People laughed at Bush, I remember as clear as Day at the Barnum Festival. Well it wasnt 2 long when Bush slammed alot of the favorites and maintained a superior reign for quite some time breaking molds and setting new standards. Same with Sun. It left some of the OLD favs behind until they finally admit maybe they should have paid attention to the OBVIOUS which was happening. :blink:

15-20 isnt bad many independent guards spend that just for a rehearsal facitlty...guards can spend a good 30-50 grand at times ..depending on the program and traveling to regionals......I would think if percussion had to pay for all the equipment it would exceed guard by tens of thousands if they were independents

And that's why most independent lines borrow equipment in the first couple years or until they figure out how to generate more money. Probally why so many indepedent lines tag on to bigger organizations like drum corps or a few local schools.

IMO You are totally right on this one ( I agree with you , lol ) Those are exactly the reasons drum corps is the way it is now as far as attendance, finance etc etc, although people want to blame, music, stadiums, no color pres, ( yeah someone actually said that ) there are so many who believe with the inception of DCI killed it all although it was 40 year ago so it pretty much lived as long as it did before DCI days. people blame change for the lack of corps NOOOOOOOO it would have died either way, the world changed and many dont get that. So I'm with ya here brother.

LOL, I heard griping about lack of Color-Pres too. My first year was the only one I remember seeing "Saluting Officers". Local military would sit at the 50 and stand up and salute everytime the flag went by. Ironic that I learned a lot at the "Decline Of City Churches" training as one of the reasons I quit following corps was so I could devote more time to my council duties and other things. (And you know how bad things are going if I end up Vice President :blink: .) Seriously spent my first few years in corps in the Red Carpet Assocation which had corps from towns I still never heard of. Most of them died in the 70s/80s due to rising costs and/or declining economics of the home area. Not much the corps circuit can do when the mill closes and/or lot of the potential members are working weekends to keep the family fed.

Think DCA/DCI/RCA/ICA/whoever might have done things better in some ways but any decision is always a crap shoot of what will happen in the future.

If you dont think that will happen then you arent involved to understand how natural that is. You may not like that observation and some others may not but the smatter ones have and will pay attention to their products. If you dont think corps havent also done that with the string oF successes of Bucs , again you are mighty mistaken. I know for sure how in the planning of shows the subject comes up or at least its looked at for what has been successful placement wise and how to compete with it. Arrogrance, which seems to be what you post was will only make another pass all those who dont pay attention even faster. I can tell you 1st hand my associations will pay attention just not to C2 and what we know could be brought to the table but pay attention to whats current and how to move into the FUTURE!

Arrogrance! Not by me. I am not the one who said, They were going to "Raise the level" of things.

The Buc's are not Arrogant. They are the Best at what they do. They do their Talking on on the field of Competion. They do not need to Pushed by C2. I do not care for their shows. But I sure as heck know why they WIN. They do not need to tell me. I can See and Hear, Why.

As I have said many times in this topic. C2 has every right to do what ever they want. But, I do not need them, or their supporters to tell me. How THEY will make things Better for all of us. If they do well. GREAT for them. I believe They will just be another group I will most likely not care for. But that does NOT mean I think, they should not Win, or be successful.

But I as well as many others like the Variety DCA has to offer. Even if my Favorite group does not win. I would prefer they did, I alway's Hope they do. But "I E Such is Life".

Having ONLY, DCI Lite Weekends only will turn off a lot of people. Also like I said before. There is a DCA show within 10 miles of my home. It will have 4, more DCI in sight and sound type groups. One not so much. So that day I will go watch the One I prefer practice, and NOT go to the show. I will however travel some 60 miles later in the season to go see a show that has a Better Variey for Me. Yes I will still watch the more DCI types. Yes I will applaud them at times during their show. And, I will, stand and applaud them again at the end of their show.Their perfomance, and hard work deserves no less. I just will not enjoy them as much.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

And that's why most independent lines borrow equipment in the first couple years or until they figure out how to generate more money. Probally why so many indepedent lines tag on to bigger organizations like drum corps or a few local schools.

very true

Arrogrance! Not by me. I am not the one who said, They were going to "Raise the level" of things.

The Buc's are not Arrogant. They are the Best at what they do. They do not need to Pushed by C2. I do not care for their shows. But I sure as heck know why they WIN. They do not need to tell me. I can See and Hear, Why.

As I have said many times in this topic. C2 has every right to do what ever they want. But, I do not need them, or their supporters to tell me. How THEY will make things Better for all of us. If they do well. GREAT for them. I believe They will just be another group I will most likely not care for. But that does NOT mean I think, they should not Win, or be successful.

But I as well as many others like the Variety DCA has to offer. Even if my Favorite group does not win. I would prefer they did, I alway's Hope they do. But "I E Such is Life".

Having ONLY, DCI Lite Weekends only will turn off a lot of people. Also like I said before. There is a DCA show within 10 miles of my home. It will have 4, more DCI in sight and sound type groups. One not so much. So that day I will go watch the One I prefer practice, and NOT go to the show. I will however travel some 60 miles later in the season to go see a show that has a Better Variey for Me. Yes I will still watch the more DCI types. Yes I will applaud them at times during their show. And, I will, stand and applaud them again at the end of their show.Their perfomance, and hard work deserves no less. I just will not enjoy them as much.

Well good :smile: and just for the record I never said C2 would be better than anyone BUT will push things possibibly in a new direction or make people think twice...........Just as Bush and a few others did after people realized they were being left behind wheather it was in placement or being current and contemporary.