Cadets2

To be honest (and fair), I was responding not only to your posts, but also to many other posters saying similar things. Yes, my first statement was aimed at you as well as others, and I do think you're point of

OK, I understand better now.... I'll just repeat what I had earlier as my opinion of the direction DCIs BoD is going.

"Personally comparing the two boards I feel DCI tries to survive by keeping the revolving door of membership (due to age outs) open to the corps. This means staying closer to the MB world of ideas and equipment. DCA tries to survive by focusing on having an environment that helps start up/returning corps."

So since the BoDs are approaching the same problem from different directions there would be areas where they differ. So IMO DCA - better environment for start ups, DCI - better environment for keeping up to the latest in MB musical trends. Again - no one totaly right and no one totally wrong - just different (now if I could just sell that idea to Congress :doh: )

Before I forget and so everyone knows where my bias is, I started with a returning corps that had a lot of bills and personal loans involved in coming back. (And that was 1974 so figure what that would be like today.) For years the corps was in the red trying to keep up with operating expenses and paying the come back loans. Having heard almost my whole career about corps financial hardships, that is alwasy a biggie with me on corps survival.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The Caballeros and the Muchachos come to mind, but if they're going to go DCA then why not make it all age? I can't figure that out, but then again I can't figure Hoppy out either.

1) this is the DCI WORLD forum, not DCA forums

And since this solely has to do with the new DCA corps, it shouldn't have been opened as a thread in this forum IMO. In the past when a DCA corps has put some recruiting information on the DCI side of the forums it is shut down as not being in the appropriate place.

Since there is already a thread opened in the DCA forums, why should this be here?

• Like 1

Good grief.

Mike

You can blame Doug.. tongue.gif

OK, I understand better now.... I'll just repeat what I had earlier as my opinion of the direction DCIs BoD is going.

"Personally comparing the two boards I feel DCI tries to survive by keeping the revolving door of membership (due to age outs) open to the corps. This means staying closing to the MB world of ideas and equipment. DCA tries to survive by focusing on having an environment that helps start up/returning corps."

So since the BoDs are approaching the same problem from different directions there would be areas where they differ. So IMO DCA - better environment for start ups, DCI - better environment for keeping up to the latest in MB musical trends. Again - no one totaly right and no one totally wrong - just different (now if I could just sell that idea to Congress :doh: )

Let's keep in mind (especially when talking about startups and folds) that fielding a DCI corps is an entirely different proposition than fielding a DCA Corps.

When you see questions like:

I completely agree with you Jeff. Look at how many corps have formed in DCA over the last 10 years. ...

On the flip side, how many DCI corps have folded since 2000. Once the DCI BoD decided to get rid of Division III, than Division II and fold everything in Open Class I know of what, 12 corps that folded over that 6 year time frame? ...

Point being, DCA does a great job nurturing new organizations and introducing them to the circuit while DCI always seems to be about the bottom line and the accountants.

One might just as well ask: how many successful *touring* corps has DCA created? And the answer of course would be zero.

Except for some similarity in the end product, DCI and DCA share very little in common. Outwardly they may both appear to be the same 'vehicle' but under the hood they are apples and oranges. YEA/C2 is breaking new ground in that sense (sort of).

• Like 2

The Caballeros and the Muchachos come to mind, but if they're going to go DCA then why not make it all age? I can't figure that out, but then again I can't figure Hoppy out either.

Cabs and Muchachos what? Also if you read back in the thread or the C2 announcement you will see why DCA and not DCI and why an age cap. But to recap for ya you ask WHY? well mainly, just like all corps....because they can

And since this solely has to do with the new DCA corps, it shouldn't have been opened as a thread in this forum IMO. In the past when a DCA corps has put some recruiting information on the DCI side of the forums it is shut down as not being in the appropriate place.

Since there is already a thread opened in the DCA forums, why should this be here?

Maybe because it pertains to both.

Let's keep in mind (especially when talking about startups and folds) that fielding a DCI corps is an entirely different proposition than fielding a DCA Corps.

Definitely.. so different mindsets are needed to run the respective circuits.

LOL, my other major hobby is antique cars (longer than Drum Corps) and each group has it's own judging criteria. Not to mention it's own mindset when comparing the differeing eras. IOW - a 1936 Duesenburg (ultra luxury car) doesn't suck because it doesn't have A/C and power windows. So easier for me to recognize that there are many differences between the circuits.

. . .because a World Class corps is starting the venture, and it's more or less a "cadet" offshoot of one of the World Class corps. If the Madison Scouts started a DCA corps that was under the auspices of World Class corps, they'd get a thread here too. World Class discussion can also include DCA if there's some sort of crossover circuit-wise, which there is here.

There's a separate thread in the DCA forum that covers the DCA competitive aspect of it.

here it is.