Band fees in Southern California made illegal

Fortunately, this BS doesn't affect the scholastic fencing program I coach (which is good, since we charge $1000 per member for the season and the program is fully student-supported), as it's a private school....but this is still freaking stupid.

Edited by 84BDsop

The essential question has little to do with debating the pros and cons of the ACLU agenda or the fact that California's Proposition 13 undercut the tax base for education years ago, and is more properly focused on what effect this ruling may (or may not) have on our beloved drum and bugle corps activity, "N'est pas, Hastings?"

As someone who has been a drum corps instructor since the Johnson administration and a "legitimate" high school and college music educator (note quotes), I would like to point out that today's high school bands now serve the very same population that local drum corps did many moons ago. At that time, many school marching band programs were so weak the hipper students interested in marching wouldn't be caught dead there and migrated to the corps.

The band folks got the message, emulated drum corps, hired their people, and now do a better job generally than those local corps ever did and serve far more kids nationally to boot. If the bands decline again in a given region, an opportunity opens up for a well-organized fee-based local corps to provide a quality experience in their place. Nature abhors a vacuum, no?

The essential question has little to do with debating the pros and cons of the ACLU agenda or the fact that California's Proposition 13 undercut the tax base for education years ago, and is more properly focused on what effect this ruling may (or may not) have on our beloved drum and bugle corps activity, "N'est pas, Hastings?"

As someone who has been a drum corps instructor since the Johnson administration and a "legitimate" high school and college music educator (note quotes), I would like to point out that today's high school bands now serve the very same population that local drum corps did many moons ago. At that time, many school marching band programs were so weak the hipper students interested in marching wouldn't be caught dead there and migrated to the corps.

The band folks got the message, emulated drum corps, hired their people, and now do a better job generally than those local corps ever did and serve far more kids nationally to boot. If the bands decline again in a given region, an opportunity opens up for a well-organized fee-based local corps to provide a quality experience in their place. Nature abhors a vacuum, no?

That's a good point, albeit an optimistic one (sort of: optimistic for drum corps). I think that so much of the sociological environment has changed since back in the days you're talking about: there are certainly no problems finding other ways young adults can occupy their time. While drum corps is unique to the music folks, I think it's safe to say that the one thing that WON'T ever go away is sports. I think more students will gravitate towards club sports if there is no music in schools (it will be cheaper, local, and way more accessible than drum corps is), and drum corps will shrink a bit.

The answer to this is to change the law. Maybe make it so that extracurriculars can charge fees, but they must offer waivers\reduced for those that have demonstrated financial need so that all can participate.

Sure, that would be ideal... except it's part of the state constitution, so the legislature can't change it on their own. It would have to be drafted as an amendment to the constitution, formulated as a proposition, and put before the state's voters. Highly unlikely this could be done in time for the 2012 elections, so we're looking at a 2014 with implementation in 2015 (likely in the fall). Oh, and a statewide campaign would be needed to garner support for the proposition. Who's going to fund all this?

I'm telling you, if you need examples of how to totally screw up a democracy, look no further than California. The examples are myriad.

Me either. In fact, since I do not have any kids in school I shouldn't have to pay any taxes to the school. And by the way, I have never used the fire department, I shouldn't have to pay for that. If something happens in the future and I need them, I will gladly pay all back taxes. And since I never have been on half the interstate highways in the country, and never plan to, I shouldn't have to pay taxes for that either. Taxes for the police? I'll buy a gun and take my chances, just give me the money. In fact, when I think about it, I probably don't directly use about 75% of what my taxes pay for.

I understand what you are saying but I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I have absolutely no problem with my tax dollars going to the interstate/police/fire department and even education. Like I said I believe the state should cover what is needed for students to graduate. I have no problem when taxes are used for things that may at one time or another be a necessity. but I think it is horrible that the ACLU is making such a big deal over band/sports fees and fundraising, while at the same time we are losing thousands of teachers state wide from the classrooms. I don't know of any sports/band program that wouldn't love the state to pay for everything but it isn't a reality, especially now with California's financial state.

I am still in awe of the fact that so many schools (apparently) charge their students to be in marching band! Our kids pay nothing, and everything is supplied inc shoes, gloves, and even their band jackets to wear when not in uniform. :thumbup:

I am still in awe of the fact that so many schools (apparently) charge their students to be in marching band! Our kids pay nothing, and everything is supplied inc shoes, gloves, and even their band jackets to wear when not in uniform. :thumbup:

wow... what part of the country this is?

The HS band I work with (outside of DC) has fairly extensive fees (some would likely label them excessive): marching band uniform fees, food fees (snacks and pre-football game dinners), activity fees, marching shoes, gloves, band shirt, and a concert dress or tux (+accessories) for non-marching season.

wow... what part of the country this is?

The HS band I work with (outside of DC) has fairly extensive fees (some would likely label them excessive): marching band uniform fees, food fees (snacks and pre-football game dinners), activity fees, marching shoes, gloves, band shirt, and a concert dress or tux (+accessories) for non-marching season.

hmmmmmm i hear ya Ive taught from Mass to calif and NEVER came across that.

Thats how it was in my HS here in iowa... no jackets and i cant remember if we had to pay for our shoes, but everything else was covered.