The Saginaw Saloon

Or for all we know they may have come from Fort Mill, or Australia, or maybe even Saginaw TX.

Also, once you have seen the shows I think you will understand why the fans voted the way that they did.

Yep -- as I said -- meaningless. DCI really dropped the ball on the voting thing.

As for the Cavies -- I was one of the few people on DCP last year who said (after seeing them in the 3C's show) that the show was going places. Most were saying -- "meh". No need to twist my arm to be a Cavies fan :-) Looking forward to seeing 'Donatello, Michelangelo, Leonardo, Raphael and Friends' tomorrow night!

• Like 1

Last night I know for a fact that SCV definitely turned in their final project before it was ready. The put their whole show out there. Good for them. It wasn't good and the audience didn't like it. I would have preferred it if SCV would have either put out a little less show and learned how to play what they had out there well or if they would have put out less show and taken a little extra time to design it a little better. They didn't do that. They were done though and I am sure the audience enjoyed their 11 minutes of not playing together or marching well over the 10 minutes that BD and Cavaliers put out there that was presentable. I am sure the fan voting will bear that out.... oh wait.

Well, after all of the complaining last year about SCV not putting out a complete product at the beginning, all of the "How Dare They!" attitudes, they decided to try and put a full show out at the first show this year. Yeah, it's not as clean, but this show is INSANELY difficult. Probably harder than last year's show, and probably about the level of 2003 in terms of difficulty. It's a really challenging show, but hey, they have TWO MONTHS in which to polish it and get the show down. Like someone else said, the result at Finals is what matters, not the result of Saginaw, TX. It's not like corps are aiming for this show, and will write their whole season off because of this show. Just calm down and relax. If they're struggling with the show in Atlanta, then it's time to worry, but not at the first show of the year.

• Like 3

If a corps decides not to offer the last couple minutes of a show, it is their choice. DCI allows it, the judges allow it.

But, no matter how well presented the first several minutes may be, never should an obviously incomplete show win that evening.

I will not be surprised if every corps has stuff to 'add'. That is irrelevant. The point everyone is making is that six of eight corps managed to perform their shows without a standstill at the end. That's all. No ones trying to say "you must march your final completed product."

It's only the circumstances that make this an issue (at least for me). This event was given DCI's maximum hype (including suggestions that corps would somewhat prepared for this weekend). I have to say I'm not quite as excited about attending the theater event knowing I'm going to pay for standstill closers from two corps...

Has anyone even taken a second to consider the fact that maybe the Cavaliers and the BD stopped with a minute left in their routine in order to save the kids from the heat? Several people have said that the BD horn players were having to stop and pick up props so that no one tripped over them and that their PVC props were blowing all over the field. That's going to tire anyone out, especially in the beginning of the season when you are dealing with extreme weather conditions and the kids aren't as physically fit as they may be in July or August.

Last year in Minneapolis Phantom Regiment sat out on the field for a full 8 minutes before they pulled them off the field and then eventually cancelled the rest of the show due to the weather. When I complained that Phantom would have already been more than halfway through their show before they stopped them, I got several nasty comments that if I had had a son/daughter out there on the field that I wouldn't have wanted them in any danger. DCI and the Corps are looking after the safety of the kids.

Having lived in New Mexico for several years and being involved in horse shows where several people fell off their horses due to heat exhaustion in extreme temperatures, I just thought I might bring up the idea that perhaps it wasn't a unfinished product, but rather a safety measure.

Also, don't you think the corps know that tonight's competition is the one that will be broadcast in the theaters on Monday night? I think we all need to reserve judgement until we know that the two corps are going to "park and blow" again tonight. We might all be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

Also, don't you think the corps know that tonight's competition is the one that will be broadcast in the theaters on Monday night? I think we all need to reserve judgement until we know that the two corps are going to "park and blow" again tonight. We might all be pleasantly surprised.

Perhaps you're right. It would be a nice surprise :-)

Final observation and a message to the drum corps staff. Several thousand people paid for the priviledge to see your corps. Can you have a little more respect of the crowd as you race up the steps and shove your way to spots to see your corps? Haven't you already seen it several times?? We had the unfortunate luck of having seats at the top of the aisle that the staff used as a step to get to the standing area under the press box. What a PITA between every corps.

Amen! :worthy: :worthy: Last year at Kalamazoo was the worst, as the Blue Stars staff ruined their performance for me and everyone around me by spending half their time yelling into their radios to tell the audio engineer what to adjust, and the other half telling us that we shouldn't complain because they were being judged on this stuff. Blue Stars put my favorite show on the field last year, but that particular performance was ruined for me, and it left a really bad taste in my mouth about the priorities of the staff.

Not sure if this year or next is when the remote-control audio rule goes into effect. A&E is like a virus that just corrupts everything it touches, it would seem. :ph34r::music::devil:

Just talked to someone on Cavies staff at Mcdonalds near the Austin show and he had no clue about leaked scores. I would say this debunks the apparent rankings and scores for Cavies and Bluecoats.

They have kept the Muchachos 1975 prelim score under wraps for 36 years. I am guessing the can keep last night's scores secret for two days.

• Like 1

Well, after all of the complaining last year about SCV not putting out a complete product at the beginning, all of the "How Dare They!" attitudes, they decided to try and put a full show out at the first show this year. Yeah, it's not as clean, but this show is INSANELY difficult. Probably harder than last year's show, and probably about the level of 2003 in terms of difficulty. It's a really challenging show, but hey, they have TWO MONTHS in which to polish it and get the show down. Like someone else said, the result at Finals is what matters, not the result of Saginaw, TX. It's not like corps are aiming for this show, and will write their whole season off because of this show. Just calm down and relax. If they're struggling with the show in Atlanta, then it's time to worry, but not at the first show of the year.

I agree completely. My rants on this topic have nothing to do with the corps. It is the folks on here who are chastising corps for not being completely done with their show (drill) on June 18th. I don't have a dog in this hunt. I marched Madison a long time ago and worked with a bunch of corps in varying capacities, but none of which are the corps that were obviously incomplete. Now I am just a fan of whoever intrigues me at the time.

I remember last year people giving SCV a ration over not being done and I knew that had tremendous pressure from alumni and the BOD about coming out done at the first show. I think them putting the whole show out there on June 18th was probably a mistake by the reports that I have heard about the level of performance and how the audience is perceiving it, BUT the corps staff and admin likely had a directive from higher up and this is what we have.

I am generally a believer that the corps should do what they think is right for THEIR CORPS. Of course they care about the fans, but they have to put the best interest of their group first. If you don't like what they are doing, don't buy a t-shirt that year. If you don't like them every year, don't watch their shows, but make no mistake about it, their job is to do what they think is best for their corps.

Anyways, I agree with you.

• Like 1