The Saginaw Saloon

I heard from a highly placed source that The Cavaliers scored 102, Blue Devils got a 55.9, Crossmen got 12 bonus points because they're from Texas, Blue Stars scored Pi and SCV received a negative 4. (Points to be deducted from their first score which exceeds +4.) Phantom did not receive a score, but were awarded a donkey as a consolation prize.

It's going to be an interesting season!

• Like 2

Exactly. That's a problem.

If you come out with 80% of a show, that *portion* should be judged as normal, but your show should be judged accordingly. So... if that portion wouldve gotten 70, they should get .8*70, or a 56.

Itd be more accurate, and scores would right themselves anyways over time once they finished the show.

And somehow i see traditionally higher ranking corps getting more benefit of the doubt for those missing minutes than the lower ranking corps if they do the same.

Well, by this statement you are assuming that the shows of the higher ranking corps are equal to those of the lower placing corps. But, they aren't. The are *generally* more difficult to perform and more complex from a design / layering standpoint. 8 minutes of show for one corps is not the same as 8 minutes of show as another corps.

One of the corps that stood still the last minute of the show last night was The Cavaliers. I also heard that they have well over 215 pages already out there, which was probably more than anyone else who may have been completed. So, their 10 minutes of show (on the move) might be more drill and just more show than that of a corps that had 11 minutes.

I just don't understand folks getting all crazy about people not being done. I have been pretty actively involved in the activity for a few decades now and this is a normal occurrence.

• Like 1

I heard from a highly placed source that The Cavaliers scored 102, Blue Devils got a 55.9, Crossmen got 12 bonus points because they're from Texas, Blue Stars scored Pi and SCV received a negative 4. (Points to be deducted from their first score which exceeds +4.) Phantom did not receive a score, but were awarded a donkey as a consolation prize.

THAT ANSWER WAS EPIC!!!

LOL!!!

It's going to be an interesting season!

I just don't understand folks getting all crazy about people not being done. I have been pretty actively involved in the activity for a few decades now and this is a normal occurrence.

Perhaps if this were just another opening weekend , you'd be right. No one (well mostly no one :-) would be saying much about it.

BUT

It's now the "2011 DCI Tour Premier Weekend".

They built the expectations up -- I think Michael Cesario said something to the effect that 'no one wants to be the corps that shows up with an incomplete production'.

So...here we are. 2 corps out of 8 stood still during the end of their shows.

Not surprising that people would complain. And if they do the same thing again tonight (which is apparently most of what's going into the cinema broadcast) the volume of complaints will crescendo.

Edited by corpsband

I remember talking with one of the judges after an early show a couple of seasons ago regarding the whole "incomplete show at the first show" thing, and they're basically trained to ignore that and judge "what's on the field, not what isn't". So yeah, expect it to continue.

And Hopkins is a total hypocrite for insisting that the touring model be redone to save money and then putting that type of tour schedule together for his corps. Guess he won the lottery sometime during the winter...

This is my exact point. As long as they continue to ignore it, we'll continue to have more and more of this.

Oh please. It is early season drum corps. You have a choice. You can come to a later show and see the whole thing cleaned, complete, and polished, or you can come to a show when it is most convenient for you and run the risk of it not. It has been like this for decades. People that went to the show last night either knew that, should have known that, or didn't care.

Interesting. If a producer of a movie doesn't feel like the movie is going to be ready, do you know what he does? He delays the opening of the movie. In drum corps you can't delay when the first show is but you can delay when parts of YOUR show are put out there.

1. Don't ever assume you know how much time and money other people have. YES, this was the only drum corps show some people will see. AND YES, they had no option. and YES the product they saw is not even finished. That sir is a disgrace, and sticking up for them shows how far you have been brainwashed into this BOA happiness that is, "they can just go some other time, they know what they'll get!". Umm, no. Those people paid similar ticket prices to every other person for the other year. That is unacceptable.

2. Movie production release dates are set in stone for 250 days. That, sir, is MUCH longer than the set dates for DCI. Nice try, but incorrect.

Just because something happened in the past is no reason to perpetuate it in the future. "This is what we've always done" is not an acceptable justification to continue to do something that is wrong.

• Like 2

Exactly. That's a problem.

If you come out with 80% of a show, that *portion* should be judged as normal, but your show should be judged accordingly. So... if that portion wouldve gotten 70, they should get .8*70, or a 56.

Itd be more accurate, and scores would right themselves anyways over time once they finished the show.

I agree completely.

This is why I don't pay money to watch early season drum corps.

Last year SCV came out of the gate with like 7 or 8 minutes on the field. Completely ridiculous.