The Saginaw Saloon

Can't believe they are all whining about the heat and wind either.

Where do you see "all" of them "whining"? I get FB updates from several of the 8, and none were talking about anything other than how happy they were to have the season started.

In terms of incomplete shows, they happened back in the day too. Wasn't unusual for corps to take until a week or two into the season to have their whole drill on the field, and that's with shows that might have 20 or 25 drill sets for an entire show. Given the safety concerns involved in the speed and tightness of the visual programs now, better to take the time and teach shows carefully and correctly than to rush through just to get all of the sets up for first weekend.

Garfield, one man's 'cheese' is an audiences 'cool effect'. Given the concept of what Cavaliers are doing this year, I think you'll find that the upside down thing totally fits with the tenor (no pun) of the whole show's direction. Given how much #####ing was done the last few years about corps being too cerebral with their approaches, seems that we should all be happy to see how populist some of this year's shows are trying to be.

• Like 1

No ties ?

yes, my fault, it was a tie, no scores for anyone, just playing along with the whacked out people on here who seem to rip everything apart after one show. Personally, i think it's pretty cool how they are doing this first weekend, ads a different vibe to the start of the season, and has definitely made these corps be more on their game for the first week of the season.

Going to be a great season, i've just learned that after one night of following along on this forum, that i won't be doing it for anymore shows, I can't take all the smack that goes on in here. Lesson Learned.

Later DCP.

• Like 3

yes, my fault, it was a tie, no scores for anyone, just playing along with the whacked out people on here who seem to rip everything apart after one show. Personally, i think it's pretty cool how they are doing this first weekend, ads a different vibe to the start of the season, and has definitely made these corps be more on their game for the first week of the season.

Going to be a great season, i've just learned that after one night of following along on this forum, that i won't be doing it for anymore shows, I can't take all the smack that goes on in here. Lesson Learned.

Later DCP.

Your fellow fans who might have a different take and opinion from you are ... " wacked out people ? "

I think I got it. You're not " a hater ", by the way.

Nosireebob.

Edited by BRASSO

I remember talking with one of the judges after an early show a couple of seasons ago regarding the whole "incomplete show at the first show" thing, and they're basically trained to ignore that and judge "what's on the field, not what isn't". So yeah, expect it to continue.

This is interesting, because it implies that it is actually WORSE to come out with a full show that is dirtier, than 80% that is cleaner.

And Hopkins is a total hypocrite for insisting that the touring model be redone to save money and then putting that type of tour schedule together for his corps. Guess he won the lottery sometime during the winter...

yes, 100% yes.

This is interesting, because it implies that it is actually WORSE to come out with a full show that is dirtier, than 80% that is cleaner.

Exactly. That's a problem.

If you come out with 80% of a show, that *portion* should be judged as normal, but your show should be judged accordingly. So... if that portion wouldve gotten 70, they should get .8*70, or a 56.

Itd be more accurate, and scores would right themselves anyways over time once they finished the show.

And somehow i see traditionally higher ranking corps getting more benefit of the doubt for those missing minutes than the lower ranking corps if they do the same.

• Like 2

Where do you see "all" of them "whining"? I get FB updates from several of the 8, and none were talking about anything other than how happy they were to have the season started.

In terms of incomplete shows, they happened back in the day too. Wasn't unusual for corps to take until a week or two into the season to have their whole drill on the field, and that's with shows that might have 20 or 25 drill sets for an entire show. Given the safety concerns involved in the speed and tightness of the visual programs now, better to take the time and teach shows carefully and correctly than to rush through just to get all of the sets up for first weekend.

Garfield, one man's 'cheese' is an audiences 'cool effect'. Given the concept of what Cavaliers are doing this year, I think you'll find that the upside down thing totally fits with the tenor (no pun) of the whole show's direction. Given how much #####ing was done the last few years about corps being too cerebral with their approaches, seems that we should all be happy to see how populist some of this year's shows are trying to be.

I agree. BD took great amounts of #### on DCP for their twirling basses in 08, but many in the audience oohed and ahhed when they first saw it early in the season. Both are effects from WGI and worthy of careful inclusion.

Exactly. That's a problem.

If you come out with 80% of a show, that *portion* should be judged as normal, but your show should be judged accordingly. So... if that portion wouldve gotten 70, they should get .8*70, or a 56.

Itd be more accurate, and scores would right themselves anyways over time once they finished the show.

And somehow i see traditionally higher ranking corps getting more benefit of the doubt for those missing minutes than the lower ranking corps if they do the same.

Wow. 10 pts per minute penalties?

You're brutal :-)

What I've seen of the shows so far, I've really enjoyed. However, SCV needs to get their brass in gear. I know what I saw wasn't taken under the best conditions, but still...

Don't get me wrong, I love SCV.

What I've seen of the shows so far, I've really enjoyed. However, SCV needs to get their brass in gear. I know what I saw wasn't taken under the best conditions, but still...

Don't get me wrong, I love SCV.

I think they sounded better during rehearsal honestly.