First 2 show results thread

I know, especially since someone posted on here that Blue Stars were going to be scoring a 74 out of the gate.

Frankly, all the posts coming up to these shows have been very silly.

I saw the shows. SCV will be fine. Blue Stars hasn't surged. BD isn't as good as usual design wise. ...and on and on....

I can't wait to see Boston and Madison now for sure!

Me too! I can't wait til Madison comes to GA and SC so I can see why so many people are raving about them all of a sudden. As a newer drum corps fan (started really following in 2006) Madison never really caught my attention. But this year I really want to be more open to seeing some of the "other guys" outside of the G8. Hopefully I'll want to jump on the bandwagon soon.

just for discussion purposes, here are the caption ordinals (SAT is above SUN). assuming judges are using criteria reference on the sheets, some of this is just astounding...

it sure makes it clear that looking just the total scores can be VERY misleading.

2011%252520opening%252520weekend.png

You need to put Ensemble where you have Percussion...slide Percussion over a spot. All very interesting isn't it.

I would agree with this. Hell, if nothing else it gets people's butts in seats early, which one would think would be good for the show sponsors (the longer youre in the stadium, the higher the odds you buy a hot dog or soda).

DCI has mixed things up before, mixing up groups of 2 or 3, maybe they should widen those groups out to 5 or more and go from there.

Yup....just do it a couple times a year and give corps like troopers, madison, boston, etc a chance to go on last. Some A-holes will still leave early, but less than the usual amount of chumps that would rather watch bd play 8 on a hand then watch the other corps go on first...

• Like 2

I also noticed that the bluecoats had very small parts from last year. I think that crown will suprise people with this show at some point this year.

I think another reason for the variance in judging and outcome of placements is the direct competition of the top 8 so soon. Number management on the part of the judges has never been put under so much immediate duress. Normally the beginning of the season, they have time to settle numbers. If you think they are not looking at previous shows to have an "idea" (not necessarily influence), think again. Not to say that every judge does this, but it is significant.

As Dan Acheson said, this has never been done before in the history of Dci.

Which is why i'm fine with it. Id rather have some variation than having things stay the same all season. Things will work themselves out just fine, and I cant really think of a single instance in the past few years, where, by finals, i felt someone was getting screwed... So in the meantime, lets have fun with it! :)

To the judges:

I think another reason for the variance in judging and outcome of placements is the direct competition of the top 8 so soon. Number management on the part of the judges has never been put under so much immediate duress. Normally the beginning of the season, they have time to settle numbers. If you think they are not looking at previous shows to have an "idea" (not necessarily influence), think again. Not to say that every judge does this, but it is significant.

they know for sure..ive been at DCI as well as WGI shows ( major shows) and judges texting each other scores from across country. :ph34r: