Clovis Cantina

Like about a week ago!!!

The 1st sign you've really hit the big time....not the multiple world titles...it's when you start sharing being on the receiving end of the haterade with BD!!

Word! (I think that means I agree)

As for me, I'll just pull up a chair and stay right the hell out of this one! :cool:

If you need a chair I think I know where you can find one :bigsmile: lol

If you need a chair I think I know where you can find one :bigsmile: lol

come on, that was too easy. :rolleyes:

Cali.

Like about a week ago!!!

The 1st sign you've really hit the big time....not the multiple world titles...it's when you start sharing being on the receiving end of the haterade with BD!!

Or have a show that folks don't enjoy.

Cadets are getting all sorts of love this year.

Got a chance to see Cadets and BD last night. Speaking in terms of performance, the Cadets have a lot of work to do. Their marching technique is looking very similar to Cavaliers, very flimsy and weak. You can see direction changes as many as four counts before they happen, as well as poor posture while moving AND standing still. Their show is there, but they have much work to do in terms of performance quality if they hope to end with the big boys this year. Also, I noticed one of their visuals that has been recurring in the past few years where they will raise one of their elbows for a drill move and lower it at the direction change, IMO it just looks bad and should never be used again, as most people just see it as bad technique. Not the members' fault, but it still looks awful. For the first half of the show, the hornline was somewhat loud, but after the ballad, the sound drastically decreased as fatigue set in. This show didn't quite deliver up to the hype.

There is no doubt that in terms of cleanliness, performance quality, and execution of technique, the Blue Devils are untouchable. This sounds mean, but I felt somewhat embarrassed for the Cadets for having to go on after BD after they just ripped that show to pieces. The show itself needs some fixing, but that will certainly happen in due time. This hornline is strong, plenty of big hits. The only thing I feel is missing from the show is more big ge drill moments like last year's tank. It would certainly be a mistake to count them out of this year's title, especially this early in the season.

Hoping to see Cavaliers soon

• Like 1

Got a chance to see Cadets and BD last night. Speaking in terms of performance, the Cadets have a lot of work to do. Their marching technique is looking very similar to Cavaliers, very flimsy and weak. You can see direction changes as many as four counts before they happen, as well as poor posture while moving AND standing still. Their show is there, but they have much work to do in terms of performance quality if they hope to end with the big boys this year. Also, I noticed one of their visuals that has been recurring in the past few years where they will raise one of their elbows for a drill move and lower it at the direction change, IMO it just looks bad and should never be used again, as most people just see it as bad technique. Not the members' fault, but it still looks awful. For the first half of the show, the hornline was somewhat loud, but after the ballad, the sound drastically decreased as fatigue set in. This show didn't quite deliver up to the hype.

There is no doubt that in terms of cleanliness, performance quality, and execution of technique, the Blue Devils are untouchable. This sounds mean, but I felt somewhat embarrassed for the Cadets for having to go on after BD after they just ripped that show to pieces. The show itself needs some fixing, but that will certainly happen in due time. This hornline is strong, plenty of big hits. The only thing I feel is missing from the show is more big ge drill moments like last year's tank. It would certainly be a mistake to count them out of this year's title, especially this early in the season.

Hoping to see Cavaliers soon

Wait, the Cavaliers technique is weak and flimsy? When did that start happening? (sarcasm off)

While I respect what you're saying here, I'm going to disagree about BD's performance last night. There were tons of mistakes in there, both musically and visually. I saw multiple people with foot timing issues and horrible technique, some looked like they were using SCV's technique out there. Lots of horn stick-outs, and bad sounds. And visually, they need work with this show. It needs new transitions, and they really need to do something with that ending, just standing still, playing for the last minute? When the other corps around you are sprinting their butts off while playing just as loud? That's not doing to get you any points.

I still think Cadets are the corps to beat on the West Coast, their show is much more cohesive and better performed than the Dev's show. But we'll see what happens come August.

• Like 2

<snip> Also, I noticed one of their visuals that has been recurring in the past few years where they will raise one of their elbows for a drill move and lower it at the direction change, IMO it just looks bad and should never be used again, as most people just see it as bad technique. Not the members' fault, but it still looks awful. <snip>

If it's what I'm thinking of, that has been part of Cadet's technique since the 80's. Sorry you don't like the look of it.

• Like 1

cut me a break...wether you liked it or not, the rifle section was one of, if not the biggest GE moments of 2010. Fans in the stands and in the theaters are still wearing tshirts saying THIS IS MY RIFLE. If the Cadets pushed around large windows on the field this year people would of compared to BD's mirrors. The poles are a similar effect to the rifles, thats all. They just chose to use them in 2011 and some have noticed.

I was not in anyway putting down the Cadets, in fact if you look at my previous posts I say the poles are one of the coolest effects of the year. You're whole bitter undertone totally undermines any arguement you may have.

I totally get what you were saying, GREENBLUE, and you were right. The pole effect with the Cadets is very much like the Cavaliers "This is my rifle" segment. I kind of like that. I think it's neat when corps can take ideas, perhaps change it some, and bring quality to the show. The Cadets and Cavaliers are both special this year.

Also, some folks need to be careful about wanting only NEW things in every show they see. Corps take ideas, concepts, just like people do, like NFL teams do (west coast offense), like basketball players do (types of shots or moves). Almost every show we see has ideas that are borrowed, altered, and re-used in addition to the true and tried things like company fronts, pushes, rotating blocks, loud chords, and on and on. The trick is "how it's used" and in what context.