Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

And to the 3 (4) people who agree that:

"Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me."

They Must Burn! ...haha

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Who defines the criteria? The DCI rules committee (ie the directors of the member corps). Who decides which corps sound is better and which is worse? The DCI judges. Are both of those subjective? Yep. Are both of those fair? Yep. Why? Because it is their sandbox that we are allowed to enjoy, and they get to set the standards in their own sandbox.

Not to parse excessively, but DCI Judges are instructed each season on what and how to assess through a system developed by the member Corps.  It's no secret that sound tech staffs and state-of-the-art equipment can now generate and/or reinforce sounds indistinguishable in quality from those achieved by the traditional acoustic methods (playing the instruments well).

Virtual reality in drum corps.

4 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

Not to parse excessively, but DCI Judges are instructed each season on what and how to assess through a system developed by the member Corps.  It's no secret that sound tech staffs and state-of-the-art equipment can now generate and/or reinforce sounds indistinguishable in quality from those achieved by the traditional acoustic methods (playing the instruments well).

Virtual reality in drum corps.

To bring forth the truth of physics, the human ear certainly can distinguish the the difference between an accousticly produced sound, say directly out if the bell of a brass instrument, and the reproduction if that same sound through an amplified speaker system. That is why no matter how much someone spends on a sound system speaker stack, a symphony orchestra will sound different live and unamplified as opposed to playing live into mics and then the sound reproduced through speakers presented to the audience. Again, there is no way around the differences in physical properties.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

To bring forth the truth of physics, the human ear certainly can distinguish the the difference between an accousticly produced sound, say directly out if the bell of a brass instrument, and the reproduction if that same sound through an amplified speaker system. That is why no matter how much someone spends on a sound system speaker stack, a symphony orchestra will sound different live and unamplified as opposed to playing live into mics and then the sound reproduced through speakers presented to the audience. Again, there is no way around the differences in physical properties.

Celabadache himself couldn't tell the difference when done well.  You need to experience this for yourself, I guess.  Ask anyone who actually judges these events. It's the combination of the mix of sounds . . . nevermind - you got this.

BTW: digital recordings have "won" blind symphony auditions.

Edited by Schnitzel

1 hour ago, Schnitzel said:

Celabadache himself couldn't tell the difference when done well.  You need to experience this for yourself, I guess.  Ask anyone who actually judges these events. It's the combination of the mix of sounds . . . nevermind - you got this.

BTW: digital recordings have "won" blind symphony auditions.

I judge many marching band and indoor events every year; I have studied the physics of sound; motion affects the sound; brass sound directly out of the bell is distinguishable from brass sound reproduced by a speaker; and I have also done amped vs. unamped, as well as motion vs non motion, experiments with marching bands during rehearsals. And there are noticeable sound differences when the two performances are compared to each other. This is also why it is useless to do balance and dynamic corrections in an arc if the performance is actually going to be done on the move. I also trust the same physics that scientists use in radio telescopes as well as the Hubble telescope. Sound and light can be pinpointed, they are affected by motion, and are affected by what material is producing or reproducing the sound and/or light. And human ears and eyes can tell the difference. Again, no way around physics.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Schnitzel said:

BTW: digital recordings have "won" blind symphony audition

If any of you have the money and time to do this experiment it will prove the physics.  Get the best sound system possible and place it on a concert stage; also get two of the best orchestras your money can lease.  Blindfold whomever you want and have them sit somewhere in the center of the auditorium.  Play a recording of a high quality orchestra performing Beethoven’s Fifth, then play a recording of the best sampled instruments playing Beethoven’s Fifth, then have a microphone and engineered live orchestra located in a different room perform it and play that through the sound system.  No real noticeable differences will be heard by those sitting in the auditorium; that is true.  However, keep them blindfolded and have another orchestra of equal quality located on stage within the auditorium play it live acoustically in the auditorium with no amplification.  The natural acoustics will be so noticeable it will be instantaneously distinguishable by those who are blindfolded.   That is what I am referring to in stating the noticeable physical differences between amplified reproduction and acoustic production.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I am really curious if the 75 who have so far indicated in this poll that they would stop going to DCI performances have, in fact, stopped going to DCI performances.  Is there anyway to verify that?

I have.

The fact that I moved to Australia is irrelevant :laughing: